ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance Hall of the Future - Questionnaire  (Read 6376 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Performance Hall of the Future - Questionnaire
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »

Or even from a patron's point of view..Have we broken down all of the barriers between the artist and the patron?

Is it some form of technology, or some experience that will be different in the future? 

Just a little brainstorming... how can we integrate mobile technology into the performance space? So far, the integration has consisted of a message at the beginning of the show, "please turn off your mobile devices."

Instead of IMAG on the big screen, maybe stream live video to the audience and let them choose the camera angle they want to see on their own devices?

Closed captioning? Program notes?

Somehow leverage mobile devices for audience participation?

Of course, the danger becomes that no one is looking at the stage: the performer looks out on the audience and (if not blinded by the stage lights) sees only the tops of the heads of people looking down.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »

I don't have a lot of hands on experience in concert halls-but listening to a lot of different thoughts here is an out-of the box thought.

Attendance may decrease for individual events-but that may be because there are more-and more specialized in appeal.

With digital consoles much of the performance is already in the digital domain.

Some threads talk of managing stage volume so the PA does "all the work."

IMAG and virtual reality are becoming accepted.

If I am going to watch a concert mainly on IMAG and hear mainly a PA, then why does the artist need to physically be in the same venue.  No one (ok virtually no one) has a concert quality PA or IMAG in their living room.

A network of smaller venues connected by hi speed data links might allow niche artists the opportunity to play to bigger crowds real time while affording more people the opportunity to hear a concert by their favorite artist.  You would still need all the A/V people and logistics so no one gets cut out of their livlihood.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:21:13 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »

No one (ok virtually no one) has a concert quality PA or IMAG in their living room.

A network of smaller venues connected by hi speed data links might allow niche artists the opportunity to play to bigger crowds real time while affording more people the opportunity to hear a concert by their favorite artist.  You would still need all the A/V people and logistics so no one gets cut out of their livlihood.

Good points.  The losers will be the up and coming musicians.  Would more people come to the 100-200 cap bar for "Locals You Never Heard Of" or (U-2, Bob Dylan, Pit Bull, Aerosmith, etc.).  Economics won't let those A-list stars play a 200 cap bar, but it might work to play 1,000 200 cap bars at once.

Pay-per-view indeed, with life size performers and incredible sound, all for the same median price as arena show tickets with few problems about accessibility, parking, or crowds.  Bar owners would pay for the infrastructure and have a pretty good assurance of decent ROI.  And they might even have to fulfill a tech rider to get the 'show'.

Personally I would rather see the live locals, but I am often out of step with the rest of the world.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »

I'll bite

I spend a lot of time doing the theatrical systems project management for capital projects in our municipality, so I'm pretty current on trends, but I'm not an expert. 

As Ivan said, adjustable acoustics - for me an essential.

Energy efficient - LEDs, and perhaps something equivalent in the audio domain (we are looking 20 years into the future).

Data connectivity - fiber and copper. Everywhere and in multiples. And I mean everywhere, grid, mid rails, floor pockets, everywhere that gets power should also get data connectivity.  It should all be dry lines to patch bays.  And then a strong network backbone. APs with multiple ssids and Vlans so you can blanket a facility in one network with different ssids for different networks.

Piggybacking on that, extra conduit. 2 or 3 extra ronevery

Safety, rigging should be motorized, load sensitive, and programmable for both movement and non movement but still allow appear tours an analog feel if needed for visiting productions.

Monitoring the space should be easy for staff, cameras security etc. So should communication and intercom.

Doug's comments on space design in the audio domain.

Power - some people are looking at bus duct type products - basically a raceway of buss bars, and disconnects can be added anywhere along the bar at points where needed.   You need a 30a 3 phase no problem, need a couple 120v nema 5-15r? No problem. 

The entire house- above any acoustic panels or whatnot, should be tension grid, easily accessible to crews for both maintenance but also easy access for non conventional uses of the space.

Speaking of non traditional spaces, when I was on tour, I played a number of houses in Germany (and the paramount in Seattle) where the house could be leveled and seats removed, allowing banquets serous and such.

Any facility in the future will need maximum flexibility to stay busy, and staying busy will be essential to turning a profit or breaking even or whatever the expectation is.

I read somewhere that some airlines are adding in seat thermostats, I would love to see this extended to theater seats...  There is just no way I am going to want to have the same temp as the   90 year old grandma next to me.

Sustainable labor practices.  Staff the venue appropriately and professionally.  This goes back to safety's and efficiency.  I'm sure other ideas will come....

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »

PLENTY of work / task lighting!!!

I can't think of any new or somewhat new theater or auditorium I have been in that had enough work lighting. All of them have to fire up the main stage lighting just to see to work.
Architects seem to think that a couple of 100 watt wall light cans in the stage wings that point straight up into the black oblivion along with a couple of florescent lights 80 feet above the stage deck (not to mention everything between the lights and the deck) is enough light to work by.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »

Data connectivity - fiber and copper. Everywhere and in multiples. And I mean everywhere, grid, mid rails, floor pockets, everywhere that gets power should also get data connectivity.  It should all be dry lines to patch bays.  And then a strong network backbone. APs with multiple ssids and Vlans so you can blanket a facility in one network with different ssids for different networks. ...

20 years ago we measured wired connectivity in Kbits and Mbits, today we have wireless approaching Gbit (I think bonded 802.11ac can break a gbit.  Perhaps 20 years in the future we won't need wires for audio, video, or control data.  Or perhaps the FCC will take away all our spectrum.
Mark McFarlane

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »

20 years ago we measured wired connectivity in Kbits and Mbits, today we have wireless approaching Gbit (I think bonded 802.11ac can break a gbit.  Perhaps 20 years in the future we won't need wires for audio, video, or control data.  Or perhaps the FCC will take away all our spectrum.

Both possibilities....  I've always been a big proponent of get the conduit in the wall, we can add wire later, but we can't blow out the wall and add conduit nearly as easy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.