ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with New B rig  (Read 14336 times)

Peter Morris

Re: Help with New B rig
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »

Hi Tony,

If I was starting out in 2014 I would consider going all powered with a digital desk and cat 5 multicore. No more amp racks, no effect racks and a 48 channel multicore that you can pick up with one hand.

There are plenty to choose from, but something like –

•   SUBS - RCF8006 subs
•   TOPS-  RCF -HDL20 or db Tech DVA T12
•   WEDGES -  RCF NX12/15 – SMA
•   DESK – Midas  M32 or Allen & Heath GLD 80

With this combination the processing in the 8006s will allow you to do end fire and cardioid sub arrays, you can use one or two of the HDLs on a stick for small shows.  The NX12/15 can also be pole mounted.  If you want a bigger drum fill, put an RCF 8004 under a NX15.  The 8004 could also be used as a sub for small speaker on a stick shows.

This type of rig can be easily expanded and is flyable. It will also satisfy the “must have a line- array” rider request.  The only negative I can think of is that stacking 4 or more of these boxes is a little more time consuming that throwing a couple of point source boxes up on top of  the subs.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:11:07 PM by Peter Morris »

Tony Stubbs

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »

Hi Tony,

If I was starting out in 2014 I would consider going all powered with a digital desk and cat 5 multicore. No more amp racks, no effect racks and a 48 channel multicore that you can pick up with one hand.

There are plenty to choose from, but something like –

•   SUBS - RCF8006 subs
•   TOPS-  RCF -HDL20 or db Tech DVA T12
•   WEDGES -  RCF NX12/15 – SMA
•   DESK – Midas  M32 or Allen & Heath GLD 80

With this combination the processing in the 8006s will allow you to do end fire and cardioid sub arrays, you can use one or two of the HDLs on a stick for small shows.  The NX12/15 can also be pole mounted.  If you want a bigger drum fill, put an RCF 8004 under a NX15.  The 8004 could also be used as a sub for small speaker on a stick shows.

This type of rig can be easily expanded and is flyable. It will also satisfy the “must have a line- array” rider request.  The only negative I can think of is that stacking 4 or more of these boxes is a little more time consuming that throwing a couple of point source boxes up on top of  the subs.

I have always been a big RCF fan, infact the TX9's I had where RCF loaded and kill the newer B$C tx9's.  But the RCF stuff seems to be a bit on top of my budget, just the subs have a MAP price of around 4 grand each.  Thanks for your response and suggestion, that is a nice system and well respected and well known...

Peter Morris

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »

I have always been a big RCF fan, infact the TX9's I had where RCF loaded and kill the newer B$C tx9's.  But the RCF stuff seems to be a bit on top of my budget, just the subs have a MAP price of around 4 grand each.  Thanks for your response and suggestion, that is a nice system and well respected and well known...

You are probably aware of this, but it may not be as expensive as you think when you consider there are no amps or processor costs in the equation. Many new subs are using drivers with almost twice the power handling and Xmax of older designs and probably have about 1 ½ times the output.

Two “new” double 18's loaded with drivers like this http://www.eighteensound.com/PRODUCTS/Products/ProdID/60/CatID/8#.U0iHk2kiPq4
will give you the same output as three of what we were using about 5 years ago.

The same is true of digital desks when you consider the price of a multicore and effects rack, not to mention you will need less storage and truck space.

Good luck with what ever you decide to buy  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:44:18 PM by Peter Morris »

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 07:56:07 PM »

Tony,

I understand your position, the Welter Systems name recognition certainly is not what is was in the 1990s when the EV ad below was making the rounds.
Interesting how perception goes, EV has not made any improvements to their driver line since then, while the current B&C sub drivers in the system I have for sale have almost three times the excursion. Since techs are used to the old designs like EV still uses, it can be a hard sell explaining that there are new driver and system designs that do make a huge difference in output.

There were about 20,000 STS t-shirts distributed from '79 to '92,  they are now considered "vintage", but the Welter Systems Paraline/ Keystone system is a much more current crop;^).

All the best with your foray back in the sound game, don't worry about me being "sucked back in", I'm still retaining one small system I'll drive off into the sunset with, but have no desire left to chase the stars!

Art
Kudos and my hats off to you Art! Really awesome. 
I spent some time in Minn/St.Paul when I was on the road with Great Music Agency (GMA)as a sound tech back in the early 80's. My hats off to your designs and love of it.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »

Kudos and my hats off to you Art! Really awesome. 
I spent some time in Minn/St.Paul when I was on the road with Great Music Agency (GMA)as a sound tech back in the early 80's. My hats off to your designs and love of it.
Thanks Stu!

GMA, AKA the Good Mileage Agency, I remember them well  ;).
What bands were you working with back then?

Art

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »

I think the TX9s can be found for cheap time to time, maybe 1K the box but you should get some serious spl from these. For tops, I would go with the HDL20A, they sound good and they are scallable, price is around 2.5K the box. Maybe a mix of passive and active box can do the job pretty nicely. I will probably extend my B rig to 6 SRX728 and 10 HDL20a within the next year or so. The SRX's do consume power, I use a bridge PL4.0 per box. A lot of national sound eng. in Montreal did hear my rig and were pretty amazed by the amount power it can deliver especially today with the DSP processing you can add to it ! These RCF boxes, I see them like a multi purpose boxe that can deliver in off for my B-Rigs.

I also see a lot of JBL around SR boxes or concert series. There is rigth now a good deal for some meyer speakers : 4 tops MSL-4 & 4 subs PSW-2. they ask something around $ 20K CAD witch could be around 18K USD.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.