ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headset recommendations  (Read 1925 times)

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
Headset recommendations
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:16:35 AM »

Hello everyone,

We are soon to buy a batch of headset mics.  I've demoed all the popular options and decided to buy the DPA D:fine.  For use with corporate style events though I'm not sure which style most people will find more comfortable, dual or single ear.  I'm also torn on cardioid vs omni.  Any suggestions?

-d

John Penkala

Re: Headset recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »

Hello everyone,

We are soon to buy a batch of headset mics.  I've demoed all the popular options and decided to buy the DPA D:fine.  For use with corporate style events though I'm not sure which style most people will find more comfortable, dual or single ear.  I'm also torn on cardioid vs omni.  Any suggestions?

-d

David,
        The short answer is you will have to have both. The dual ear option stays in plays better but bothers some presenters with long hair. These style mics offer the benefit of better placement than your average lavaliere/lapel mic. However, the idea of using such mics may be met with resistance. You may have to sell the idea to the presenters or their handlers. Some presenters will never use a headworn mic because they think they will look like a telephone operator. Others have a regal or diplomatic presence to convey and don't think the mic style helps with that image. Technology and Medical companies will be an easier sell. Politicians might not be so inclined to use them. YMMV

John Penkala

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »

I agree with John, and would add that I would almost always use Omnis.

Like with Lavs, Cardioid often seems like a great idea, but in practice makes positioning a challenge. Lavs can be managed, especially if you put them just a little further down the tie/shirt/jacket/whetever than you would normally, so as to give yourself a bit more leeway on head movement causing the speaker to move out of the pickup pattern. But with headsets, the slightest move can cause a really drastic reduction in level.

So 9 times out of 10, I use omni Lavs & headsets. Provided you are sensible with PA positioning, mic positioning, and keeping a quiet stage, I never have any issues.

Chris
Riedel Communications

Palmer Johnston

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »

Hello everyone,

-d

I've used the d:fine in omni, dual ear configuration and they sound great!

I always choose omni headset mics (& lavs for that matter), as they are much more forgiving wrt placement.  The caveat being that if you need them to be loud in the stage monitors, well, you're pretty much screwed.  If you don't need them in monitors, then you'll most likely be much happier with the omnis. 

The one thing I didn't like about the d:fine with the dual ear mount was that it was difficult to fit onto a small head, and I had a hard time keeping it in place and optimally positioned on the 5' tall petite woman who was giving one of the speeches that day.  It just wouldn't stay snug, and kept messing with her meticulously styled hair.  Maybe those who work with d:fine more often have a solution for tiny heads- maybe single ear is best for that situation?

My everyday headset is the tried & true E6 omni single ear.  I've purchased the dual ear clip for these, but haven't had to use it yet, as a little Tegaderm on the back of the ear does the trick every time...   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.