ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A good coverage wireless router to work with our Yamaha CL5 setup  (Read 15471 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Re: A good coverage wireless router to work with our Yamaha CL5 setup
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »

I recently bought a Ubiquity Bullet M5 Titanium and a small outdoor ZyXel antenna. This piece of kit rocks quite seriously. I did an outdoor test with my iPad Mini connected to CL StageMix, placed the antenna outside of my warehouse door, and started walking.

I got at least 200 meters down before I even started to see any kind of lagging, and that was only when the iPad was in the shadow of my body. At exactly 300 meters from the antenna (which was 1.8 meters off the ground), the connection started to become unstable, but at 250m or more - no problems.

So this thing is pretty powerful. It died on me on a gig recently, though. I've just gotten a new one from the dealer, so we'll see....hopefully it lasts a bit longer.

But when it works - it's really great. It's only an access point, so i most cases, you'll probably want a switch or router to plug it into (if you want to connect more than one device), but it's real handy, since it's rain proof and lives off Power over Ethernet, so you can have it on a Cat5-cable with a length of your choice, so it's easy to tie to a speaker, truss or whatever and get it high up in the air.

X2 for Ubiquity stuff. Great quality, rock solid performance, great price point. There are others out there that are better Ruckus for example but you are looking at $500-$1000 per WAP plus controllers. I would highly recommend using a decent router and a couple access points throughout the space. Without dimensions of the room I cannot recommend an exact count.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »

I use a EnGenius ENS500EXT WAP, running at 5GHz, and it's been rock solid in large indoor spaces and outdoors as well.  Not expensive, good UI, easy to configure.  It will require using a static IP address on the iPad (like Frederik's Ubiquity Bullet, it can serve as a router with DHCP, or a wireless access point, but not both). 

+1 to Riley's recommendation.  If you're running Windows, get a copy of InSSIDer and use it to find open channels in the 5GHz range.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »

I don't use ubiquity stuff for my Yamaha wireless, but I do use them in a couple other places in my life and they are excellent.  Can't say enough good things about them.

John Penkala

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »

I use a EnGenius ENS500EXT WAP, running at 5GHz, and it's been rock solid in large indoor spaces and outdoors as well.  Not expensive, good UI, easy to configure.  It will require using a static IP address on the iPad (like Frederik's Ubiquity Bullet, it can serve as a router with DHCP, or a wireless access point, but not both). 

+1 to Riley's recommendation.  If you're running Windows, get a copy of InSSIDer and use it to find open channels in the 5GHz range.

I've got an EnGenius ENH7000 on order for our large shows. We have to cover upwards of 150,000 sq feet. And , I'm planning on replacing my smaller Linksys and Cisco WL with the smaller EnGenius models.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »

It seems that some users have a tough time with I-Pad connection to the Yamaha consoles regardless of the quality of their equipment or network. I am one such individual. I have used several different routers with the same results. The I-Pads seem to be the only thing that have issues. With any of my computers connected via network it is rock solid. When I run with my I-pad I get shaky results. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's abhorrent!!! Another co-worker of mine with the same network et all was rock solid with an I-Pad mini? I believe it to be software related because I can run my X-32 software all day and it will not drop connection ever! There is something in the I-pad that just doesn't always work with stagemix? Many work fine and some don't? If your intending on using a computer/laptop then you should never have a problem. That connection is rock solid regardless of the router provided you have a clean and properly set up network.

That being said I have since moved to 5ghz routers! They are not as popular yet and many of the ones that are more configurable will allow use in one band or the other. My experience shows that the speed of the router doesn't really matter. The network protocol for control changes is the 100Base-TX/10Base-T. Simply it's speed is pretty standard and provided you have a network rated for 100mbps your going to have lag free control; assuming a clean network and a clean Line Of Site to the router. Having a 600mbps router should yield better results in a crowded environment or where LOS to the router is obstructed. How much improvement? Probably none if your network is clean and the router is in clean LOS. I say go for as high a transfer rate as you can afford, but don't expect there to be a night and day difference between the performance of one from the other, especially if you go with consumer grade stuff.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »

THANKS EVERYONE!

This all will help!

Bob

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 07:51:50 AM »

As a general point with Wifi devices...

The major factor for "goodness" is actually the overall radio environment that you are working in. I would honestly like to be able to say that I have managed to do a fair test of the radio abilities of AP A vs AP B... however I live and work in a ridiculously polluted area (the population density, and therefore wireless data traffic here is insane).

Many users of this forum however do not have this issue - and generally comments about getting 300m of coverage are very interesting to me (there is no way I could hope to achieve that realistically in an urban area in the UK, or on a festival site.) the combination of equipment that achieved that sounds truly impressive.

I did have some very good success a few years ago with meshed wifi networks... this was after convincing colleagues that putting a massive amplifier at the access point end was probably counterproductive (Wifi after all is bi-directional, and "turning up the wick" on only one end probably causes more problems for the Rx gain controller close to the amplified Tx than it solves)

Meshed systems on the other hand allow the APs to be run at low power, and the system controller does the handoff between APs without the end client knowing what is going on. I used some inexpensive Zyxel APs to do this, along with a (slightly) more expensive Zyxel AP that had system controller capabilities. OK so this meant putting in quite a lot of cable to "backhaul" the data... but it worked surprisingly well... even at speed (golf buggy driving around site)
Senior Technical Solutions Manager, Audinate EMEA.

Roger Talkov

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »

We have had a good experience with Cisco RV180W and Cisco SG300 switches for the Dante part (not to change the subject).

Regards to the list
Roger

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.