ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A good coverage wireless router to work with our Yamaha CL5 setup  (Read 15469 times)

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio

A search here resulted in quite a few recommendations of the Airport Extreme. Any other recommendations since most of those threads were almost a year old? We have a fairly large church sanctuary with 1700 attending a service so we will be using the 5Ghz bands. Probably several CL Stagemix iPads connected.

Here are several that we are also considering - all claim great coverage and speed and are all dual band and I believe all or several also support the latest/upcoming AC spec., although the current iPad doesn't support that yet I believe.

Asus RT-AC68U

Netgear R7000 (Nighthawk)

Netgear R6300

Thanks

Bob

Mark McFarlane

Re: A good coverage wireless router to work with our Yamaha CL5 setup
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »

Although I use an Airport Extreme, I would not characterize the discussions on this forum as being highly supportive of them.  Airports have limited configuration capabilities, e.g. you can't disable 2.4GHz mode, there are no QOS settings, no VLans,... QOS and VLan get interesting when you want to start routing Dante for, for example, recording from a laptop using the WAP as your hardwired switch.

It's easy to set up an Airport because Apple decided you don't need 90% of the features provided in other WAPs.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:53:00 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:48:29 PM »

Probably several CL Stagemix iPads connected.

Is this even possible? I admit to less than perfect knowledge about Stagemix since I don't use it, but my understanding is only 1 iPad per console.

Mac

BobWitte

• Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »

Is this even possible? I admit to less than perfect knowledge about Stagemix since I don't use it, but my understanding is only 1 iPad per console.

Mac

OK - maybe I didn't check this thoroughly since our own small company has a A&H GLD and we can add several on the network. I am just learning the Yamaha CL stuff. So, I am concentrating on any router recommendations and not multiple iPad's running Stagemix.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »

Mac

Unless some significant changes happened that I am unaware of - no.  One iPad at a time.  If you want every musician to mix their own monitors on their iPhone/iPad, then Yamaha isn't the console you are looking for. 

Disclaimer, we have and love a couple CL consoles and an M7cl-Es. But this just isn't something they are good at. 

BobWitte

• Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »

Unless some significant changes happened that I am unaware of - no.  One iPad at a time.  If you want every musician to mix their own monitors on their iPhone/iPad, then Yamaha isn't the console you are looking for. 

Disclaimer, we have and love a couple CL consoles and an M7cl-Es. But this just isn't something they are good at.

Understood - just the router recommendations then. I should have done my homework on the CL series. To clarify, this is simply for a monitor person on stage working with musicians to make monitor changes. We are not looking at multiple iPads. My GLD knowledge just got in the way.

Dave Wallingford

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:09:18 PM »

I've had very good experiences with my Apple Airport Extreme, but I'm no Wifi expert.

One feature that the CL series has that previous Yamaha consoles do not - you can use CL editor on a computer while controlling the CL with an iPad at the same time. But yes, still just one iPad.

BobWitte

• Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »

I've had very good experiences with my Apple Airport Extreme, but I'm no Wifi expert.

One feature that the CL series has that previous Yamaha consoles do not - you can use CL editor on a computer while controlling the CL with an iPad at the same time. But yes, still just one iPad.

Thanks Dave and one iPad! Got it. And yes we will either network a laptop for loading weekly scenes/setups or just USB drive the scenes over.... I have been using the CL Editor to see how out Tech Director is setting up the layers etc.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

I recently bought a Ubiquity Bullet M5 Titanium and a small outdoor ZyXel antenna. This piece of kit rocks quite seriously. I did an outdoor test with my iPad Mini connected to CL StageMix, placed the antenna outside of my warehouse door, and started walking.

I got at least 200 meters down before I even started to see any kind of lagging, and that was only when the iPad was in the shadow of my body. At exactly 300 meters from the antenna (which was 1.8 meters off the ground), the connection started to become unstable, but at 250m or more - no problems.

So this thing is pretty powerful. It died on me on a gig recently, though. I've just gotten a new one from the dealer, so we'll see....hopefully it lasts a bit longer.

But when it works - it's really great. It's only an access point, so i most cases, you'll probably want a switch or router to plug it into (if you want to connect more than one device), but it's real handy, since it's rain proof and lives off Power over Ethernet, so you can have it on a Cat5-cable with a length of your choice, so it's easy to tie to a speaker, truss or whatever and get it high up in the air.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »

We have a couple of Airport Extremes and a pair of Airport Express WAPs.  The Extremes have been very reliable , the Expresses OK but not as bullet proof as the higher end units.  Plus side to the Apple products is that they are somewhat more user friendly and easier to deploy than the units that are more enterprise capable.  If you don't have ambitions to become an IT monster on the side they should be fine for stage monitor use. 

The most useful tool for WiFi access to your console is going to be a WiFi scanning app.  Apple provides one with the OS ( Wireless Diagnostics app in the User Library ) if you're running a Mac, assorted shareware from the net for Windows.  Setting your WiFi channel to the least busy frequency is what makes WiFi usable for StageMix.  Running a scan in a large convention hotel and finding every channel already populated with three or four WAPs from the facility along with all the other production users can be pretty daunting but going with the power level in the appropriate column will get you some useful bandwidth.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.