ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Too much power, too many subs?  (Read 13022 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Too much power, too many subs?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »

That seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »

That 1.11ms of latency will definitely cause you to lose definition from your subs. You can possibly compensate for that delay with your signal processor.

Just my 2 cents, but I sometimes will put a high pass on the bass around 80hz, to help clean things up. This might also give you better definition between the kick and bass.

uhhh… No.  1.11ms of latency will have zero audible effect on the combining through the crossover of a sub. Assuming the sub goes up to 100Hz, the shortest wavelength it reproduces is about 10 feet long. That is about 10ms long. The part of the waveform where summation is always positive is the middle half, or 5', or 5ms of the wave. 1.11ms is not enough time error to be noticed. It could be compensated for by moving the subs 1' downstage.

Mac

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »

That 1.11ms of latency will definitely cause you to lose definition from your subs. You can possibly compensate for that delay with your signal processor.

Being off 1 ms in the subwoofer range is 1/20-1/10 of a wavelength. Yes, it will have an effect, not nearly as much as other issues with rooms reflections, relative sub/top positioning,...

Edit: should have completed reading the thread and read Mac's post before I said the same thing.
Mark McFarlane

Leonardo Wood

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »

Thanks for the insight.

The subs are not separated. They're on the main floor, centered directly in front of the stage, one stacked on top of the other. I can add delay with the VSX26 to get both subs in phase, to correct for the Crown's DSP latency. That'll require two different sends to the subs instead of one, but that's what we were doing all along before getting rid of the the little PRX powered sub.

So far, however, I haven't powered the subs with two different amps. Just to see what it sounded like, I used the Crest Pro8200 in stereo mode to run both subs last Sunday. I know that two STX828S subs are really underpowered using that amp for both, but I was curious to hear what it was capable of, since several people have suggested ditching the Crown.

Underpowered as that setup may be, it was more than adequate for our needs. (The music runs a little loud at my church, but we're not loud like an all-out rock concert!) I ran a few different low freq. test signals through the subs and was surprised at how noticeable the difference was between the Crown XTi4002 (from previous tests) and the Crest Pro8200. Specifically, when I muted the signal, the sound stopped noticeably faster, as if the room were a little less reverberant. That's what I was hoping for, to tighten up the bass. Next week I plan to use both amps and A/B the subs to see if the tighter bass response is as pronounced as it I think it is.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.