ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Digital Wireless/WiFi mixing to play nice  (Read 2444 times)

Justin Joyner

• http://www.gravityny.com
Getting Digital Wireless/WiFi mixing to play nice
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »

There are more and more sound engineers relying on digital mixers and WiFi mixing using iPads and such.  In my rig, I use both a Line6 digital wireless mic and a digital wireless unit for my guitar. 

I have yet to figure out a "sure-fire" setup that allows for all of the above to play nice together. Even operating the router's WiFi signal at 5 GHz seems to stir up issues.   

Has anyone had any luck and dependability with these systems working together?  I really want to be able to go into a gig and know that everything is going to work when I know there is a digital mixer in the room...especially since my sound engineer is investing in the Behringer X32 mixer.

I have a lot invested in my wireless systems....My Line6 V70+Telefunken M80 capsule sounds amazing, and my Line6 Relay G50 for guitar has never failed me.  I want to continue to use this equipment.

Thoughts or experience with this issue?

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
Re: Getting Digital Wireless/WiFi mixing to play nice
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »

The 2.4GHz range has gotten so cluttered that it now needs its own coordination just like the UHF/VHF range for other mics. There are only 11 WIFI channels(in the US) in the 2.4GHz range, and sharing a channel is always a bad idea. Line6 mics need to have zero overlap with any WIFI device. It may be far away from the access point in the venue, but what about the device in your pocket, for example? I did some un-scientific testing and found that even with light traffic on the WIFI channels the Line6 unit had many unusable frequencies. The results are:
WIFI1    XD-V70: 11, 12
WIFI6    XD-V70: 6 only
WIFI11  XD-V70: 5, 9

You can change the channel of the access point just as easily as you can change the channel of the Line6 gear and you should change both based on each venue's existing networks. If the FOH is mixing the show off an iPad than it is just as show critical as your microphone and also needs an interference free channel.

Justin Joyner

• http://www.gravityny.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »

Interesting, thank you for your response.  I completely agree that the FOH iPad/WiFi performance is just as important as my gear.

I'm a bit confused...I'm not sure if I'm reading your results correctly.  Are you suggesting if the router is set at channel 1, then I should (in theory) be able to use my digital wireless, as long as it's on channel 11 or 12?  Is this also assuming the router is in 2.4 GHz mode?

The 2.4GHz range has gotten so cluttered that it now needs its own coordination just like the UHF/VHF range for other mics. There are only 11 WIFI channels(in the US) in the 2.4GHz range, and sharing a channel is always a bad idea. Line6 mics need to have zero overlap with any WIFI device. It may be far away from the access point in the venue, but what about the device in your pocket, for example? I did some un-scientific testing and found that even with light traffic on the WIFI channels the Line6 unit had many unusable frequencies. The results are:
WIFI1    XD-V70: 11, 12
WIFI6    XD-V70: 6 only
WIFI11  XD-V70: 5, 9

You can change the channel of the access point just as easily as you can change the channel of the Line6 gear and you should change both based on each venue's existing networks. If the FOH is mixing the show off an iPad than it is just as show critical as your microphone and also needs an interference free channel.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »

The problem your working with is that the site will be setup with a wifi router in their working environment.  That might be 1 yes.  At you next location 1 might be open and 6 might be the local site.  The next may be back at 1 or up at 11. 

http://www.commlawblog.com/2014/03/articles/unlicensed-operations-and-emer/fcc-proposal-intrudes-on-unlicensed-spectrum/

This fcc should provide more help but also you will see a new problem coming on Bluetooth. 

Along with a recommendation to use the 5 gig band more based on the microwaves being in the middle.  Causing trouble at the sites if the microwave oven has leaks or splattering RF noise

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:26:01 PM by Jerome Malsack »

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »

Sorry my post had a web link that failed.   cannot get the picture posted either.
Will try a little later. 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »

Load up and look at Inssider 

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

This can help when setting up the wifi at the site of the show.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.