ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX612 noise  (Read 14100 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
JBL PRX612 noise
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »

Not sure how long this has been going on at gigs because the noise coming from the horn is so faint and I may not have noticed it as the last few gigs with all the outside noises going on. I know it didnt happen when I bought it.
Today I set up my 2 PRX612's in my home for band rehearsal and noticed one of them has a faint high pitched frequency noise coming from the horn.  Like radio interference.  It happens regardless of whether anything is going through it. I checked cables and even changed outlets (different circuit) just in case but the sound is there as soon as it is switched on.
It is only 7 months old and has not had very much use - I use other speakers which I rotate through according to the venue size and type of music.
I am a little surprised due to the reputation these speakers have but like anything, there are no guarantees that something will not fail I suppose.
So at least I'll get it repaired FOC. Good job I have other speakers I can use while I wait.
Any ideas as to what is could be?? or is that like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

Also, my speakers are 'babied' - they are never dropped, knocked, abused or even spoken to badly......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: JBL PRX612 noise
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »

Not sure how long this has been going on at gigs because the noise coming from the horn is so faint and I may not have noticed it as the last few gigs with all the outside noises going on. I know it didnt happen when I bought it.
Today I set up my 2 PRX612's in my home for band rehearsal and noticed one of them has a faint high pitched frequency noise coming from the horn.  Like radio interference.  It happens regardless of whether anything is going through it. I checked cables and even changed outlets (different circuit) just in case but the sound is there as soon as it is switched on.
It is only 7 months old and has not had very much use - I use other speakers which I rotate through according to the venue size and type of music.
I am a little surprised due to the reputation these speakers have but like anything, there are no guarantees that something will not fail I suppose.
So at least I'll get it repaired FOC. Good job I have other speakers I can use while I wait.
Any ideas as to what is could be?? or is that like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

Also, my speakers are 'babied' - they are never dropped, knocked, abused or even spoken to badly......

One of my PRX'e went bad with what sound like the same problem, an intermittent crackle.  After a couple week a authorized serve center is now working on it... supposedly. The extreme hassle of getting this stuff fixed makes me leery of ever investing in this company's product again.   

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:54:18 AM »

Debbie, when you look at authorized service centers in NC, the best choices are Durham and Greensboro, and Greensboro is far and above the best choice IMHO. You can PM me if you need more details....

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »

Debbie, when you look at authorized service centers in NC, the best choices are Durham and Greensboro, and Greensboro is far and above the best choice IMHO. You can PM me if you need more details....

Greensboro is a vastly under-rated city.  I had a touring gig that took me there roughly twice a year and looked forward to it each time.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »

One of my PRX'e went bad with what sound like the same problem, an intermittent crackle.  After a couple week a authorized serve center is now working on it... supposedly. The extreme hassle of getting this stuff fixed makes me leery of ever investing in this company's product again.

Might be the same thing although my sound is constant -not a crackle.
I have been using JBL products for many years and they have always served me well so this won't affect my loyalty - UNLESS I get the runaround in trying to get it fixed.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »

Might be the same thing although my sound is constant -not a crackle.
I have been using JBL products for many years and they have always served me well so this won't affect my loyalty - UNLESS I get the runaround in trying to get it fixed.

The service center not only demanded the receipt but a copy of the original factory sales invoice.  They also wanted me to ship the entire speaker not just the power module.

I am working through the retail outlet where I bought them. 

Hope you have a good service experience.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »

The service center not only demanded the receipt but a copy of the original factory sales invoice.  They also wanted me to ship the entire speaker not just the power module.

Interesting. ...
So I called the service center I intend to use which has been recommended to me. The gentleman I spoke with seemed very accommodating and asked that I bring in a copy of the sales receipt only along with the speaker. He advised that if the amp is the problem, they will remove it from the cab and send just the amp to JBL. If it is anything else,  they will repair it there. (I have a feeling it is the amp)

According to the JBL website, if you choose to go directly through them, they require the whole unit sent back to them - not the amp module. That is if it was you or me - not an authorized repair shop. The guy mentioned that if that is the case, it will take a few weeks.....

Going to drop it off tomorrow and we will see.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »

Which is generally an indication they are not a fully authorized JBL service center.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »

Which is generally an indication they are not a fully authorized JBL service center.

That's a worry...Tim did you check the JBL website to see if these guys are authorized? If so, I wonder why they would need anything more than the sales receipt.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:09:54 PM »

That's a worry...Tim did you check the JBL website to see if these guys are authorized? If so, I wonder why they would need anything more than the sales receipt.

They are on the list.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:09:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.