ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX612 noise  (Read 14216 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: JBL PRX612 noise
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »

Picked up the speaker on monday. The noise is still there !!
However, just the fact it has been tested,  something was found to be wrong and replaced and nothing else shows as defective makes me feel a little  better. If the tech can find nothing actually 'wrong' with the speaker to cause the sound other than those 2 leaking capacitors then I suppose I have confidence that it doesn't have  a failing component.
I haven't called the shop to tell them because if they can't hear the noise then it would be a tough sell at this point ( the noise is very quiet) - AND they did work on it after all. In fact I would think the noise was the normal sound of the speaker at idle if I didn't own 3 others that don't sound that way....
I tested it with some nice loud music and it sounds good......oh well...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tom Burgess

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »

Picked up the speaker on monday. The noise is still there !!
However, just the fact it has been tested,  something was found to be wrong and replaced and nothing else shows as defective makes me feel a little  better. If the tech can find nothing actually 'wrong' with the speaker to cause the sound other than those 2 leaking capacitors then I suppose I have confidence that it doesn't have  a failing component.
I haven't called the shop to tell them because if they can't hear the noise then it would be a tough sell at this point ( the noise is very quiet) - AND they did work on it after all. In fact I would think the noise was the normal sound of the speaker at idle if I didn't own 3 others that don't sound that way....
I tested it with some nice loud music and it sounds good......oh well...
Have you considered taking it back along with one of your other 612's so that you can demonstrate the difference for them?  I'd like to think they'd be very interested in solving the issue.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »

Or perhaps you could shoot a video, demonstrating the noisy one compared to the others?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »

Have you considered taking it back along with one of your other 612's so that you can demonstrate the difference for them?  I'd like to think they'd be very interested in solving the issue.

I would if the place was local. My husband travels around for work and was the one to drop off and pick up. The JBL tech is only there 2 days a week so he'd have to arrange sales calls on one of those 2 days and dedicate the time to demo the 2 speakers...probably aint gonna happen :(
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »

Or perhaps you could shoot a video, demonstrating the noisy one compared to the others?

This sounds doable.... I might put something together and send the file to them ahead of time so they know what I mean..

Karen Furno

• Panama City, FL
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »

Earlier this year I worked on some Avid SC48 consoles that had noise problems on some of the input channels.  After some inspired poking around, I discovered that the noise only occurred when phantom power was turned on for that channel.  We are not an Avid authorized repair center, so the customer agreed to swap out the whole input module with a reworked one from Avid.  When the new one came in, I noticed the input DC blocking caps were now electrolytic units instead of the high-dollar metalized polyester ones in the original unit.  Not having a schematic, or access to Avid techs, I can only surmise that the blocking caps were leaking ever so slightly when the 48 VDC phantom hit them.  They probably met every manufacturer spec for leakage, but because they were used in a very high gain audio path, and we are fussy about 100+ dB signal to noise, they added unacceptable noise in our application.  It's funny too, because they were high quality WIMA caps, at around $2.75 apiece in the Mouser catalog, and the electrolytics were likely around 50 cents.  Even funnier, when our own SC48 started exhibiting the same noise symptoms, Avid replaced the modules under warranty, and guess what, the new ones had WIMA caps in them.  I guess WIMA had a batch run that were slightly more noisy than usual.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »

Nope.  I hope to get the module back some day, either fixed or not. In the meantime I'm getting more calls for gigs then I can execute.

Well here is the result:  The module was returned fully functional. No parts were needed. Apparently reseating the preamp module took care of the issue.

While the speaker was (barely) in warranty, the electronics were not, yet the work was done no charge. I wasn't even charged for shipping.

I ran speaker six hours for testing.

The symptoms were an intermittent scratchy noise  usually when cold and disappearing when the unit warmed up. the symptoms progressively got worse reaching the point of unusability.

Down time was 11 weeks. "Turnaround" time by the service shop was probably about 10 weeks.  Return shipping within the same state was a full week.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 11:45:10 PM »

Well here is the result:  The module was returned fully functional. No parts were needed. Apparently reseating the preamp module took care of the issue.

While the speaker was (barely) in warranty, the electronics were not, yet the work was done no charge. I wasn't even charged for shipping.

I ran speaker six hours for testing.

The symptoms were an intermittent scratchy noise  usually when cold and disappearing when the unit warmed up. the symptoms progressively got worse reaching the point of unusability.

Down time was 11 weeks. "Turnaround" time by the service shop was probably about 10 weeks.  Return shipping within the same state was a full week.

Well I'm pleased you are back in business Tim.... but 10/11 weeks turnaround seems excessive to me under any circumstances....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 11:45:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.