ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX612 noise  (Read 14101 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: JBL PRX612 noise
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 07:19:46 PM »

They are on the list.

Then you should be fine. If you don't feel comfortable with the way things are being handled, you could contact JBL.
I had a question regarding speaker crossover frequencies a few weeks ago when I purchased my PRX718xlf and I went on to the JBL website and asked them my question.
The next day I had one of the techs call me to help me which I thought was really good customer service. It made me feel more confident about my purchase. Gave me the impression they are a company who cares so if you get any issues, I'd call or email JBL.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »

There are different things you can be on the list for.....

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »

According to the JBL website, if you choose to go directly through them, they require the whole unit sent back to them - not the amp module. That is if it was you or me - not an authorized repair shop.

I had one of my VRX boxes go out on me last summer. I contacted JBL directly to discuss the warranty repair-- since they're self-powered, I had the same concerns you did. They directed me to send them just the amp module, in order to save on the shipping expense. That might have been, of course, since I was confident/qualified enough to remove it myself. :) I'd also sent them pictures of the fried-out part of the inside of the module, since I was working on troubleshooting it myself first.

(Of course, they had some weirdness where they thought it'd been exposed to moisture, and that was what caused the fault-- which didn't make sense since these boxes live on casters, and aren't used in the rain. It was weird. Fortunately, I was able to get them to take care of me still! Thanks, JBL!)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »

I had one of my VRX boxes go out on me last summer. I contacted JBL directly to discuss the warranty repair-- since they're self-powered, I had the same concerns you did. They directed me to send them just the amp module, in order to save on the shipping expense. That might have been, of course, since I was confident/qualified enough to remove it myself. :) I'd also sent them pictures of the fried-out part of the inside of the module, since I was working on troubleshooting it myself first.

(Of course, they had some weirdness where they thought it'd been exposed to moisture, and that was what caused the fault-- which didn't make sense since these boxes live on casters, and aren't used in the rain. It was weird. Fortunately, I was able to get them to take care of me still! Thanks, JBL!)

-Ray

It makes sense that they don't want everybody taking apart speakers and causing even more problems. Good to know that they realized you knew what you were doing and that they took care of you.
I dont foresee any problems and I'll report back as and when I have an update.  I dropped it off today and the 'JBL person' will be in on monday to look at it.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »

They are on the list.

Hey Tim...did you get your speaker sorted out without any problems??

Mine has been in since 4/10. The guy called me the next week and said they had the speaker playing music all day but couldn't here the noise I had described. I explained AGAIN that the noise can only be heard when there is NOTHING playing through it. He said they had misunderstood and in that case they would remove the amp module and send it in to JBL.
So I called  last week to follow up and he said they had changed their minds and were going to fix it themselves instead as it seems there is an earthing problem. . I still haven't heard anything.....
Considering I was told that it would take a few weeks IF it had to go back to JBL, I am a little disappointed that it is taking this long for an in-house - apparently straight forward repair.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 12:35:56 AM »

Hey Tim...did you get your speaker sorted out without any problems??

Nope.  I hope to get the module back some day, either fixed or not. In the meantime I'm getting more calls for gigs then I can execute.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »

Ironically after having posted my comment yesterday,  I got a call this afternoon from the service center letting me know the speaker is ready for pick-up.  So....3 weeks. Not too bad I suppose especially as I have 3 more of these I can use but I can fully understand the frustration of some people if income relies on these going down. Maybe there just aren't enough JBL authorized centers which causes long waiting times....

The fault by the way was 2 capacitors had gone bad on the power stage. (Did I word that correctly?)....Really?....7 month old speakers....NEVER pushed hard, in fact hardly used at all because these were kept in my studio for monitors 95% of the time.... The diagnosis corresponds with the symptoms because the noise I heard did not change with the gain control and was not affected by anything being connected. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

Bad capacitors from the factory.   Glad it worked out... But yeah it's disappointing when cluster met service is lacking. Especially in this customer service driven industry...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »

Ironically after having posted my comment yesterday,  I got a call this afternoon from the service center letting me know the speaker is ready for pick-up.  So....3 weeks. Not too bad I suppose especially as I have 3 more of these I can use but I can fully understand the frustration of some people if income relies on these going down. Maybe there just aren't enough JBL authorized centers which causes long waiting times....

The fault by the way was 2 capacitors had gone bad on the power stage. (Did I word that correctly?)....Really?....7 month old speakers....NEVER pushed hard, in fact hardly used at all because these were kept in my studio for monitors 95% of the time.... The diagnosis corresponds with the symptoms because the noise I heard did not change with the gain control and was not affected by anything being connected. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Probably nothing you did (other then just use the things).  Parts can go bad just because they want to.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »

OK...good. Thanks for the replies Tim and Cailen.  If it is simply one of those things - then that's what it is.
At least it is fixed. The noise it was making was very subtle and to be honest had no effect on the sound it was reproducing at all. Who knows how long it may have lasted or how long it had been going on (maybe from new???)...... but once I noticed it, my concern was to catch whatever was causing it BEFORE it fails. And that was bound to be early in the night at an important show right??

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.