ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on single mic approach for festival stage  (Read 15455 times)

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Re: Thoughts on single mic approach for festival stage
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »

I have and will continue to use various one mic setups in a live setting...

However,

It is not really our decision as a sound tech.

If the band is committed to the technique and are willing to practice, it can be effective.

The day of the show is not the time to be experimenting with something new.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

+1! We do this all the time for bands that have the one mic configuration as their preference. It all comes down to properly deploying the rig for the gig and ensuring that you have enough GBF. Putting the stacks with poor pattern control on the front corners of the stage is NOT going to work. You can't beat the laws of physics but you can try to use them to your advantage.

Jeff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 10:27:06 AM »

+1! We do this all the time for bands that have the one mic configuration as their preference. It all comes down to properly deploying the rig for the gig and ensuring that you have enough GBF. Putting the stacks with poor pattern control on the front corners of the stage is NOT going to work. You can't beat the laws of physics but you can try to use them to your advantage.

Jeff

This. Right. Here.

IF the problem with the single mic technique is the band choreography, that's their problem.  Yeah, I know it's a pain in the ass when the punters come up to complain, but when you point out the mandolin player is further from the mic than the banjo player you can get your point across a lot better than "oh shit, I didn't turn up the mando mic...."

One of my favorite gigs is an acoustic/bluegrass festival.  Main stage is in front of a county fairgrounds grand stand 295' long with a capacity of almost 6,000 including the track between the stands and the stage.  Single mic acts are welcome!  Hybrid (single LDC with a SDC to the left & right) are welcome.  Individually miced voices and instruments are welcome.  Careful system deployment and judicious EQ means we can take the this front porch music and share its intimacy with those 6,000 folks.  And we can do it in a club or smaller facility too.

Most of the issues involved in technique resolve themselves as system techs and mixerpersons gain experience.  There is no magic bullet, you have to make some shitty sound and figure out why/how it happened and then apply that experience to the next gig.  You learn, apply, then evolve.  Rinse and repeat.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »

Thanks again everyone for posting, good stuff as usual. At this point Ive opted for a generic close micing approach with dedicated groups of mics - then simply bring in what is needed for each act: 4 ATM450s, 2 PR30s, 2 ProDIs, 2 Pro48s, 4 PR35s, a miced kit, 3 laptop DIs - this should cover me. The SDCs will cover the grouped instruments, and when there is more than 4 they will share.

Ill post the results after next week, when I recover!

Mike

Edit: The thanks is meant for everyone except Leonard....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:49:18 PM by Mike Christy »

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 05:47:26 AM »

Had a successful gig despite rain ( rain in April, who-da-thought?). I do only a one or two of these types of multi-act festival style gigs a year, so you guy's input was helpful. Labeling mic stands and utilization of drop snakes, along with power strings up and down stage were key.Thanks again. Here's some pictures, everyone one loves pictures!

Mike

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 06:11:24 AM »

Had a successful gig despite rain ( rain in April, who-da-thought?). I do only a one or two of these types of multi-act festival style gigs a year, so you guy's input was helpful. Labeling mic stands and utilization of drop snakes, along with power strings up and down stage were key.Thanks again. Here's some pictures, everyone one loves pictures!

Mike

Now you can appreciate why I have lots of  short mic stands....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »

Now you can appreciate why I have lots of  short mic stands....

Hi Dick! Yup  ;D  I KNEW Id get some mic etiquette pokes ( they also double as lightning rods to protect the performers ) Actually their length was needed several times, so a trade off...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »

Those the new JTRs along with your first pair?

How is Kelly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »

Those the new JTRs along with your first pair?

How is Kelly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Rob!! They TX3 are working well. I used them 2X last weekend: Friday for a multi-act event in Portsmouth in a large square room with brick walls, and this outdoor event here. I think some of the best detailed and dense mixes I got on them were the Indian instrument group and an electronic group with the Theriman. They couple nicely with the Growlers too.

K is good, she always asks how your doing.

Take Care,
M

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »

Hi Dick! Yup  ;D  I KNEW Id get some mic etiquette pokes ( they also double as lightning rods to protect the performers ) Actually their length was needed several times, so a trade off...

I have a few AT Pro7's that I can stuff inside mandolins, dulcimers and such thus dispensing with the need for any stand at all.  My cooection of short stands started specifically to do Indian ensembles seated on the floor, so the groups in the photos are very familiar to me.  I probably do more of this variety stuff than bands.

Fun, eh?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »

I have a few AT Pro7's that I can stuff inside mandolins, dulcimers and such thus dispensing with the need for any stand at all.  My cooection of short stands started specifically to do Indian ensembles seated on the floor, so the groups in the photos are very familiar to me.  I probably do more of this variety stuff than bands.

Fun, eh?

Dick, The one thing that threw me was that little Indian electronic drone box thingy, i had no idea.... I put a PR-30 on it's little 4 inch speaker and all was good.

Ummmmmmmmm Ummmmmm

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.