ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for some speaker suggestions for our (new to us) Church  (Read 7086 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Looking for some speaker suggestions for our (new to us) Church
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 03:03:01 PM »

The sound quality is fourth on my list of important things when considering a sound system DESIGN.

First is the coverage needed.  It does not matter how good it sounds if everybody can't hear it-or it sprays to much sound on the walls.

Next it has to be loud enough.  It does not matter how good it sounds if it is not loud enough for the job.

Next would be price.  It does not matter what  a loudspeaker sounds like if it does not fit in the budget.

THEN we start with sound quality-now that we have defined the coverage-spl and price limitations.

There are some nice studio monitors-but they make lousy PA speakers for most of the reasons above.

Excellent!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »

Dave,

I have worked with our church sound for 20 years or so-and in that time have reworked the entire sound system several times.  Our center cluster was professionally designed and installed just before I started working with it.  It is the one part I have always said I would want a pro involved if we ever touched it-some one who could size up the room acoustically and physically.  It will cost far less to have a consultant design it right the first time than to get it right by trial and error. It has been easy for me to get good sound in a room that could be very challenging-but getting the center cluster right is the key IMO.
Steve Swaffer

dave derung

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »

OK Folks...see my white flag??? I was just trying to find a good starting point on the primary element in our new sound system with advice from veterans. As part of the leadership team for our Church, I was asked to get a ball park estimate on what the costs would be.
My other concern is that the local installer only puts in one brand of speakers and that would be what we end up with because there were no other informed opinions.
I found out there is a new local sound contractor who may be able to do the install. Thanks again for all the realistic input.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »

OK Folks...see my white flag??? I was just trying to find a good starting point on the primary element in our new sound system with advice from veterans. As part of the leadership team for our Church, I was asked to get a ball park estimate on what the costs would be.
My other concern is that the local installer only puts in one brand of speakers and that would be what we end up with because there were no other informed opinions.
I found out there is a new local sound contractor who may be able to do the install. Thanks again for all the realistic input.
In order to get usable suggestions-first provide drawings (with dimensions) of the seating area-possible loudspeaker locations and your budget and what exactly the budget is to include.

Possible things to include are loudspeakers-amps-wiring-install-alignment-warranty and so forth.

Be sure to include ideas if there any limitations of where to put loudspeakers-due to visual concerns.

You would be wasting somebodies time if they did a nice design and presentation and then the Church said (we won't let you put speakers there due to the way they look)-give us another proposal.

DEFINING the target as good as possible is THE BEST way to get a usable design.  But if the designer does not know the goals-how are they supposed to come up with a good design?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »

The sound quality is fourth on my list of important things when considering a sound system DESIGN.

To break this process down:

First is the coverage needed.  It does not matter how good it sounds if everybody can't hear it-or it sprays to much sound on the walls.

This is by far the most important. If the coverage is not at least somewhat even and uniform, you're wasting time and money. Identifying the possible speaker locations (with consideration of mounting options) along with the coverage needs will significantly narrow down the acceptable loudspeaker choices to those that match the needs. If a significant amount of primary sound is hitting where it's not needed (walls, ceiling, stage) then the coverage is NOT GOOD no matter how it sounds in the audience. Because it won't sound good in the audience.

Next it has to be loud enough.  It does not matter how good it sounds if it is not loud enough for the job.

Again, this will be a process of elimination. You will start with a list of speakers that provide the necessary coverage, and winnow out the ones that aren't enough rig for the gig. (Keep in mind that to this point, there is no such thing as too much rig for the gig. OK, so a 50kW line array might be overkill in a 100-seat century old wood chapel, but it's probably going to be out of the budget as well.)

Next would be price.  It does not matter what  a loudspeaker sounds like if it does not fit in the budget.

By now the list will be pretty short. Answering this third point -- which of the list fits in our budget -- will more or less isolate it down to one or two or three systems.

THEN we start with sound quality-now that we have defined the coverage-spl and price limitations.

Time for auditions. Every speaker can be made to sound good given the right environment and tuning. Which one sounds the best in your room?

If none of them are satisfactory, it's time to revisit the budget and audition a few more.

Going back to the budget thing. You might find that the best options are nowhere near what your budget allows. I can guarantee this: if you sacrifice any of these points for the sake of the budget, you and your congregation will not be happy with the result. And that is not wise stewardship of the funds that God has entrusted you with, because He is not glorified. If you need more money, ask. It's amazing how people will open their wallets when the need is made known and they know exactly what the money is being spent on and why what you've chosen is the best option. Nobody likes donating to vague causes and vaporware.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:16:40 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.