ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Limiter  (Read 27489 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Analog Limiter
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 05:37:24 PM »

I feel the same way.  I enjoy designing analogue circuits but get bored with digital.

I'm o.k. with programming Z80, 8085, etc. and PIC processors at assembly language and/or hex code level but don't have a clue about C+ or Visual Basic.  I can do GWBASIC.

I think we're just old!

Steve.

If you think digital is boring maybe you can help me figure out how to finesse the FFT code I'm working on. I'm getting the level info OK but now I want to extract the phase too, easy peasy, just take the arctan of the real divided by the imaginary or vice versa,,,  8)

BTW there is no processor instruction for arctan so I'll need to write that too, or wus out and use a C  library. C even has a library instruction that does the divide too, so I guess that's how the point and click guys do it.  8)

Almost ten years ago when I started working on my drum tuner I literally tried to do it with analog and maybe some 4000 series CMOS thrown in for good measure, but even I quickly figured out that analog was just not up to the task, too many nonlinear processes with need for decision making programmed in. So I taught myself to program the little embedded processors and now I'm graduating to DSP, still a cheap few dollars of silicon about the size of my pinky finger-nail. 

While I've shared this before, IMO we are only using a fraction of the capability of modern digital mixing platforms (programmed decision making). I guess they are moving slow so they don't scare the children, while I suspect the kids get it. It's the old farts signing the POs that are too easily scared.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 05:56:21 PM »

While I've shared this before, IMO we are only using a fraction of the capability of modern digital mixing platforms (programmed decision making). I guess they are moving slow so they don't scare the children, while I suspect the kids get it. It's the old farts signing the POs that are too easily scared.

JR

The next 5-10 years should be rather interesting when it comes to digital mixer technology. IMO it really needs to move more in the direction of the Avid S3L system with separate surface, processing, and I/O.  A truly open system would let you keep adding I/O and DSP for as many channels as needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running XeonHD + HellsCore b46-t4 using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »

With a pretty severe "knee".
I finally found the "soft knee" version of this limiter today at a church in Little Rock. Check it out.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »

I finally found the "soft knee" version of this limiter today at a church in Little Rock. Check it out.

Lol, it works till someone cranks the channel gain....

Sent from my Nexus 4 running XeonHD + HellsCore b46-t4 using Tapatalk Pro

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 02:17:14 AM »

Definitely.  But once you have enough channels and eq and effects capability on every channel and bus, all that is really left is the user interface.

At the moment, that is largely set by the manufacturer but there's no reason why every control cannot be customised to suit the user, by the user.

I'm also expecting to see a large format control flat control surface soon.  Like an i-pad but larger.  More like a TV on its side.  Touch screens of this size exist already so why not?

I sort of predicted the mixer in a rack with a separate controller back in the 1980s.  Back then I was sure it could be done with an RS232 link.

Steve.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 05:29:19 AM »

I'm also expecting to see a large format control flat control surface soon.  Like an i-pad but larger.  More like a TV on its side.  Touch screens of this size exist already so why not?

It already exists: http://www.slateproaudio.com/products/raven-mtx/

Lots of people are already integrating ProTools and Waves Soundgrid into their consoles, and most everyone is doing live multitrack recording,  so one possible next step (prior to Johns self-mixing system) is to replace the console with a low latency recording system.   Stagebox is the DA, AD, and processing and recording.  FOH is a wireless-controlled, expandable flat screen interface akin to the Raven.

Or, for those who like physical buttons Yamaha and Avid have very sophisticated (and expensive) physical control surfaces, but nothing else today has the customization of a flat display.

The problem today with most DAWs today is they are bloated with features (and bugs), there is no way I would want ProTools or Cubase in the critical path of a concert, but maybe Nuendo Live: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/nuendo/nuendo_system_solutions.html
Mark McFarlane

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2014, 05:46:32 AM »

It already exists: http://www.slateproaudio.com/products/raven-mtx/

I had a feeling that it would already exist when I was typing.  Much like all of my other brilliant inventions!

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »

I had a feeling that it would already exist when I was typing.  Much like all of my other brilliant inventions!

Steve.
The ancients are always stealing my ideas...  8)

JR

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »

If you think digital is boring maybe you can help me figure out how to finesse the FFT code I'm working on. I'm getting the level info OK but now I want to extract the phase too, easy peasy, just take the arctan of the real divided by the imaginary or vice versa,,,  8)

John, if you are working on the x86 platform check out Intel's MKL.  You'll get FFTs coded for SSE and AVX vector instruction sets, power of 2 or mixed radix, automatic parallel execution across all available cores.  Super fast.  There are vector-based trig functions in the library.
Mark McFarlane

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »

John, if you are working on the x86 platform check out Intel's MKL.  You'll get FFTs coded for SSE and AVX vector instruction sets, power of 2 or mixed radix, automatic parallel execution across all available cores.  Super fast.  There are vector-based trig functions in the library.

I was joking... I'm actually working with a 16 bit fixed point DSP chip from Microchip. They have the arctan instruction I need in a C library, but so far I've managed to do it in all with assembly so I may code that routine too. I don't need to compute phase for every FFT point, just a couple louder results, so I don't even need to make the calculation very efficient.

sorry for the veer...

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.