ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Center and financing woes thread  (Read 20416 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Guitar Center and financing woes thread
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »

I've lived in MS for 30 years and did not get that memo.  :o

JR

John Roberts. For The Win.

As usual.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »

I've lived in MS for 30 years and did not get that memo.  :o

JR
yeah well i was born in mccomb and grew up in jackson. i went to roman catholic schools and cussing was said to be a sin. i worked as a mechanic for a guy in jackson. i said dam(n) and the guy went beserk. he said i had just sinned. i thought real quick and told him i was thinking out loud about the dam at Ross Barnett resorvoir and that if we had another flood that dam would break. when ever i said damn from that time on and some religious person went beserk i just told them i was talking about the dam. we lived about 1 mile from the pearl about 2 miles north of lakeland dr. our house was on a high point and the flood didnt affect us. well i'm sorry you didnt get the memo about the dam. thats a damn shame to. btw , You do remember the flood of Jackson Mississippi dont you ? everybody got that memo.

DavidTurner

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 04:10:50 PM »

There you go again...blaming your ignorance on your birthplace. I suspect Oprah knows the correct spelling, as do I, Geri O, Morgan Freeman, William Faulkner etc.

thank you. i am from mississippi and was using the mississippi spelling we always used due to the religious atmosphere. i will use the california spelling from now own seeings how i live in california now. Jean Claude Van Damn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 05:55:07 PM »

There you go again...blaming your ignorance on your birthplace. I suspect Oprah knows the correct spelling, as do I, Geri O, Morgan Freeman, William Faulkner etc.

Yeahhhh, in my case, that's why the ignore function got use in the first place. It's one thing to not know something, but to be unwilling to learn once you know your education is remiss in something? Either way, personally I would consider lying to be worse than using profane language, but I'm also not Catholic, so I don't know for sure what the priorities are in this situation.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 08:47:06 PM »

yeah well i was born in mccomb and grew up in jackson. i went to roman catholic schools and cussing was said to be a sin. i worked as a mechanic for a guy in jackson. i said dam(n) and the guy went beserk. he said i had just sinned. i thought real quick and told him i was thinking out loud about the dam at Ross Barnett resorvoir and that if we had another flood that dam would break. when ever i said damn from that time on and some religious person went beserk i just told them i was talking about the dam. we lived about 1 mile from the pearl about 2 miles north of lakeland dr. our house was on a high point and the flood didnt affect us. well i'm sorry you didnt get the memo about the dam. thats a damn shame to. btw , You do remember the flood of Jackson Mississippi dont you ? everybody got that memo.

Stop digging... blame it on auto-correct... that's what the cool kids do.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »

Stop digging... blame it on auto-correct... that's what the cool kids do.

JR
what be "otto-correct" ? i not know , i am a drummer.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »

Jeff,
You constantly embrace your joy in being, or pretending to be the village idiot. Guilty by association, your friends may be dumber than a box of rocks, or they may be the smartest people in the world and none of us would know. And birds of a feather DO flock together.

Your problem is that you constantly and with intent try to prove you are an idiot, the above being a prime example.

And just to put the icing on the cake, I have traveled throughout the USA and many countries and agree that location can indeed be a determining factor in the education, health, and prosperity of any individual. However, none of that need apply if an individual is determined to become more in life than what his immediate surroundings offer for choices.

In all honesty Jeff I'll bet you're a nice guy with a decent education. Keep in mind though that pretending to be stupid won't make you more popular, lower the rent, or make your life easier son. And, I agree that not shopping at a store because someone on the internet "thinks" the store is going out of business is in fact a decision based on stupidity.

Other than that have a great day.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
"Lifetime Warranty" (For the Lifetime of the Store...)
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »

...not shopping at a store because someone on the internet "thinks" the store is going out of business is in fact a decision based on stupidity.

Abandoning a store you otherwise like because its demise is likely is indeed dubious logic... however, I WOULD suggest saving your money on the store's optional extended warranty.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Richard Turner

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »

more on topic.

Locally here there used to be 4 M&P stores before the internet

one was a mostly guitar and sheet music store who for the longest time thought it was their given right to charge MSRP +10% for freight and handling on stock , forget about a special order, they are no longer in business.

another was more of a PA rental house who had some sheet music and guitars and rented space to a luthier, it went out when the owner retired, guitar repair guy tried to carry on but soon realized he needed to just focus on his own business, the synergy worked well for them as a team with having one handle the others cash register or drop offs pick ups etc

third is still in business, selling off brand instruments, focusing on church and school sheet music, retailing some peavey /AA speakers but its a one woman shop and she'd just carrying on till retirement, writing is on the wall but she has her niche with the Christian market.

now the 4th one, talk about horrible, I've had them at the time rebox rental gear and sell it to me as new, caught themn out one time when an employee purposly left a rental rect in the box of an item for me to find. I had friends who in good faith took out rental gear, were sent a monitor with a smoked horn ( I tested it on arrival to the venue) and were told tough luck, it was on you to inspect the gear before leaving and were charged $100 repair fee. and many many other scams like that, I still see horrible systems in venues to this day from that place, was the kind of thing whatever was on the sales floor as dead stock was perfect for your install....
national chain gave that one the ultimatum sell out or be squeezed out. seeing as they had just invested in a new building with teaching area so the owner sold, not that it did him any good all the scheming and ripping people off, he was dead of cancer within a year of selling out, Karma is a biatch for sure.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 01:12:46 AM »

My family owns a M&P store in Merrillville IN.  My father started the business with a partner 33 years ago.  In 1999 my father bought the partner out.  In 2007 (I think) GC moved in 2 miles from us.  We seem to have a good working relationship with the local GC.  They send people to us for repairs and we send them people that need something we don't have right now.  In 2007 we had 5 music stores in the area.  We are now down to two.  The other store that exists besides us does a few installs and lessons. 

As for our business.  Its booming, we have a lesson program, rentals, service for electronics and guitars, installations, and of course retail.  We picked our lines based on the lines that GC doest have.  And even the line we share they carry the lower end of them.  We concentrate on service and installations.  And the fact that my father learned long ago that guitars don't make you money.  PA sales and installations do.  I have been on the commercial side of the business for 13 years now.  My father is looking to retire within the next 5 years.  I plan on keeping the same basic business model.  Which is:

Sell at MAPP or better
Service everything we sell
Free rental program for purchases from us if items are being repaired
We are married to our installs
Know our products

If GC does really fold then I will get my pick and string sales back.  Great the guys I love to hate.  Buy 2 guitar picks form me and chew my ear for 2 hours telling me how great your les paul is and how it sounds like no other.  But got to keep everyone happy.  Wish me luck...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 01:12:46 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.