ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Venting  (Read 25906 times)

Bob Kidd

Re: Just Venting
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »

When I was a kid I used to stagehand doing sound and lights at record hops for the top radio DJ in Philly. All of the top acts came through town- Marvin & Tammy, Chiffons, Chubby, just about everybody who had a record out. They all showed up with 45's with everything but the lead vocals on them. They sang along with the tracks. That was high tech back then. We didn't even have stereo yet. Nobody complained. Some of the performances were magical.

There was no way these folks could have toured with the Funk Brothers, so they used the tech that was available. Did that diminish their performances?

Nope.

If that is something they want I have no issue. Again its the ones  supply backing tracks for instruments that are also being played live. Just makes for a difficult mix.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »

Clueless Van Halen didn't know he was playing in the wrong key??

He wasn't in the wrong key, the tracks were in the wrong key by an amount that sounds like a 44.1kHz-48kHz clocking error.

Rob Gow

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »

99% percent of the bands I have worked with that use a click have good drummers, who play to a click to sync along to tracks (not because they can't keep good time), or because their genre values consistency over variability. Only once did I mix an artist where I actually thought the drummer might be lost without a click.

True enough. I'm not there to judge, I'm there to make the event sound good. It takes all types.  As long as the cheque clears, I don't care if there's a monkey up on stage banging a trash can lid with a stick for 3 sets.

It's all good 

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »

As long as the cheque clears, I don't care if there's a monkey up on stage banging a trash can lid with a stick for 3 sets.

It's all good

They were in the club a couple weekends ago. Harder to take than it sounds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:47 AM »

They were in the club a couple weekends ago. Harder to take than it sounds.

And this would just happen to be the forum without a "Like" button...

Love this one.
D.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »

He wasn't in the wrong key, the tracks were in the wrong key by an amount that sounds like a 44.1kHz-48kHz clocking error.

Patrick,
A clocking error will not cause this problem. A sound module set for a key other than A440 will cause this problem. Regardless the problem should have been caught and the song stopped with an apology to the crowd.

Surely Eddie the great knew there was a problem, so my take on this is that 1) ETG can't transpose on the fly. Or 2) Let's get through this and on to the next song because the waterbags won't notice, and I don't care. Based on the applause after the song he would have been right with that assumption.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »

Or there was so I much EVH in what he was hearing in the monitors that he had no clue he wasn't matching the other instruments.

Jay Barracato

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »

Or there was so I much EVH in what he was hearing in the monitors that he had no clue he wasn't matching the other instruments.

Bingo.... I'd go with Jay on this one. Either way, a pretty shocking "performance" if you ask me.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
In Search Of the Lost Chord
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »

Regardless, the rest of the band managed to "adapt and overcome".  This happened a few years ago... not to make light of alcoholism, but I wonder if it was before EVH finally got sober.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 04:55:08 AM »

Patrick,
A clocking error will not cause this problem. A sound module set for a key other than A440 will cause this problem. Regardless the problem should have been caught and the song stopped with an apology to the crowd.

Surely Eddie the great knew there was a problem, so my take on this is that 1) ETG can't transpose on the fly. Or 2) Let's get through this and on to the next song because the waterbags won't notice, and I don't care. Based on the applause after the song he would have been right with that assumption.

Well, the pitch shift doesn't match a 44.1-48kHz error, so that's out.

Certainly the show should have been paused to correct things, but I think too much blame is being put on Mr. VanHalen. Besides, it's live music. If there weren't train wrecks once in a while it would get boring.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 04:55:08 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.