ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Venting  (Read 25910 times)

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
Re: Just Venting
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »

...and then it's a slippery slope to "let's keep the click on because the drummer can't keep time" and "let's keep that kb part in cause we don't have the same sounds" and "let's keep the background vocals in cause we can't duplicate them" and pretty soon it's just easier to keep the whole production in because it "just sounds better"

We were going to use a click for the reasons Samuel Rees gave: to sync with tracks and provide consistency of tempo.  How this relates to your slippery slope comment, Robert, is that I ended up using a click because the other bandmates' tempo swings were akin to monkeys swinging like they were on crack.  And the finger pointing was coming my way.  The only way I could "win" the argument was with a metronome.  Like tape, it doesn't lie.  All this is to say that it isn't just the drummer's job to keep time.  While the drummer may "drive the bus," time is every musician's responsibility.

David Parker

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »

We were going to use a click for the reasons Samuel Rees gave: to sync with tracks and provide consistency of tempo.  How this relates to your slippery slope comment, Robert, is that I ended up using a click because the other bandmates' tempo swings were akin to monkeys swinging like they were on crack.  And the finger pointing was coming my way.  The only way I could "win" the argument was with a metronome.  Like tape, it doesn't lie.  All this is to say that it isn't just the drummer's job to keep time.  While the drummer may "drive the bus," time is every musician's responsibility.
I played bass with a jazz drummer years ago in a praise band. I had to keep my own time because nothing he played was right on beat. If I stayed on time, I stayed with him, he was on time and consistent, but gave me nothing to hang on to.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »

I played bass with a jazz drummer years ago in a praise band. I had to keep my own time because nothing he played was right on beat. If I stayed on time, I stayed with him, he was on time and consistent, but gave me nothing to hang on to.

Sounds like maybe he was playing for himself rather than serviing the music. ??

David Parker

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »

Sounds like maybe he was playing for himself rather than serviing the music. ??
no, he was incredible. If there were 20 drums he'd play them all always make it fit. he was an eccentric artist with the drums, but it always fit what we were doing. Just didn't play anything I could lean on, so I had to pay attention to what I was doing.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »

Then there's the occasional drummer who insists the click track or metronome is defective... it couldn't POSSIBLY be their drumming...
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

duane massey

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2014, 11:35:28 PM »

Playing to tracks is a long-running practice. Most hilarious (and goofy) was a performer in the Houston area years ago (early 70's) who was related to a well-known musician. He would set up a drum kit, a vocal mic, a Shure Vocalmaster PA, and a 45rpm record changer. He would stack up a pile of records, turn it on, and play and sing with the records. I won't mention names.....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »

I  probably one of the most "organic" minded of the folks that post here regularly. As a matter of fact some of the greatest musical moments of my career happen totally unamplified in a circle backstage or a festival campground.

With that said I am definitely not offended by a click track nor backing tracks.

With that said, NORMALIZE your damn output so I don't have to guess every song how loud they should be or what channel is making what sounds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Bob Kidd

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »

I  probably one of the most "organic" minded of the folks that post here regularly. As a matter of fact some of the greatest musical moments of my career happen totally unamplified in a circle backstage or a festival campground.

With that said I am definitely not offended by a click track nor backing tracks.

With that said, NORMALIZE your damn output so I don't have to guess every song how loud they should be or what channel is making what sounds.

+1.  Don't mind it either if used correctly. With the past act using actual full songs with similar instruments trying to play along with track just ask for a bad mix. Just frustrating having people say "hey they sound off" as If it is me. Hearing keys on stage and ms later keys on track. Now I have heard great sets with backing tracks that are used when compensating for missing fiddle ...ect

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43:48 AM »

When I was a kid I used to stagehand doing sound and lights at record hops for the top radio DJ in Philly. All of the top acts came through town- Marvin & Tammy, Chiffons, Chubby, just about everybody who had a record out. They all showed up with 45's with everything but the lead vocals on them. They sang along with the tracks. That was high tech back then. We didn't even have stereo yet. Nobody complained. Some of the performances were magical.

There was no way these folks could have toured with the Funk Brothers, so they used the tech that was available. Did that diminish their performances?

Nope.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »

When I was a kid I used to stagehand doing sound and lights at record hops for the top radio DJ in Philly. All of the top acts came through town- Marvin & Tammy, Chiffons, Chubby, just about everybody who had a record out. They all showed up with 45's with everything but the lead vocals on them. They sang along with the tracks. That was high tech back then. We didn't even have stereo yet. Nobody complained. Some of the performances were magical.

There was no way these folks could have toured with the Funk Brothers, so they used the tech that was available. Did that diminish their performances?

Nope.

On the flip side, attending one of those shows would have cost about the price of two gallons of gasoline, if they weren't free. Concert costs are higher and my expectations are higher.  Still, I wish I had seen one of the those shows, it wouldn't have bothered me a bit. 

We had the "top 40" Chicago radio station (WLS) come out a few times in high school to blast music through Bose 901s for pep rallies, it was awesome.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.