ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Venting  (Read 26089 times)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Re: Just Venting
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »

“I am personally offended by the idea of "musicians" needing backing tracks to prop up their performance. I'm saying this AS a musician!”

Brian Marshall

I don't know what you do for a living, but I play in a duo for a living. We use backing tracks. It's pure economics, really. We make less now than we did 30 years ago, adjusting for inflation. As a duo, we can scrape out a modest living. With a full band we would starve. We also get gigs that bands couldn't do – private parties, Tiki bars, etc. We've even taken to busking at fairs and festivals.

If that 'offends' you, I'm sorry. I would love to have a raging 7-piece that tore up the stage, but those days are long gone. Live music is a business of diminishing returns now, and one must do what one can to survive.

Regards,

Bob

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

I'm actually offended by clueless people being offended. There are many, many "A" level acts using backing tracks to supplement the band. I may not be working at that level now, but I use MIDI tracks and about $40K worth of sound equipment to supplement my band. I don't carry a horn section anymore, MIDI, I don't carry a B3 anymore, MIDI. Sometimes I work without bass player and drummer, MIDI. What is always real are the 3 guitar players, vocalists and backup vocalists. As a matter of fact I just spent $2000 on a Roland sound module and the drums can NOT be distinguished from the real deal.

20 years ago I might have agreed. I could get some good horns and keys out of the available sound modules, and not much else. Today is not then and times have changed. I don't want a bunch of wannabe musicians filling the stage pissing and moaning about the key, or some prissy little bitch singer crying about her boyfriend and not enough hog. Working at a higher level you're able to not only work with competent musicians (mostly), but you can pay them well for their efforts and professionalism. I'm almost done with bands and sound at age 62 and work mostly invitational events. I charge very good money, and people love what we do. So, not all tracks are created equal, and very few people actually know how to work with them, but in the end the paying public usually get's a better show of higher quality for less money.

I can't hire enough musicians to do what an Integra will do for me, or would I want to. What pisses me off??? People trying to use tracks who just don't know what they're doing, and that's maybe 80% of them, so if those are the people we're talking about I would have to agree.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1245

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:29:17 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »

Maybe we can just put mannequins in the seats and nobody will have to show up.   ;)
This space for rent

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »

Why does it seem todays bands feel the need to use more and more music tracks to the point it is almost "Band Karaoke"? Very frustrating.

Because those paying to be in the seats don't care.  People would rather watch "reality" shows than live life.  Most "reality" shows are no more real than a band backed entirely by tracks yet they are wildly successful.

Our church has drawn the line at not using any backing track for a normal service.  We will use them for a drama presentation.  Our preference-but one I really like myself.  I always thought a pianist/band whatever accompanied a vocalist-when you play a track, is not everyone accompaning the track?

That said, I understand that in live sound nothing is one size fits all. 
Steve Swaffer

David Parker

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »

Why does it seem todays bands feel the need to use more and more music tracks to the point it is almost "Band Karaoke"? Very frustrating.
this isn't something new. Back about '95 I was providing for a popular Christian band, Guardian. They used a vcr some kind of way, got three tracks out of it. One was click and two were stereo backing tracks. The background vocals were on the track. I forget what else. The band all had mics but only the lead singer was actually singing. I worked for a solo Christian artist that had different levels of tracks depending on if he was performing solo, or with different levels of bands.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 09:31:58 PM »

this isn't something new. Back about '95 I was providing for a popular Christian band, Guardian. They used a vcr some kind of way, got three tracks out of it. One was click and two were stereo backing tracks. The background vocals were on the track. I forget what else. The band all had mics but only the lead singer was actually singing. I worked for a solo Christian artist that had different levels of tracks depending on if he was performing solo, or with different levels of bands.

VHS Hi-Fi or digital audio (dbx had a box) on the video track, and the click on the longitudinal analog audio track.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 11:09:27 PM »

For me it's all about context.  If I go see an acoustic duo, and a song suddenly has a drum kit and horns - why would I be offended?  Clearly they are using tracks.  If I go see a 7 piece band and can tell someone in the band isn't actually playing/singing/trying, then I am disappointed in their apparent lack of dedication to their craft.

Stage shows are a whole different matter - sometimes.  On one tour I was on, the pit orchestra had click as the ensemble couldn't dance and sing one of the numbers.  Vocals were tracked.  Could the audience tell? No.  They were there to enjoy the show and they did (as much as they could - it was a crappy show, with a waste of a lead for most of the tour).

A friend of mine toured with a very popular Irish show.  They all played to a click for the benefit of the dancers (so that timing was on every night), the dancers shoe/tap sounds were also tracked.  If someone in the band was sick - they could unmute his track.  People love that show. The dancers and band sell it, the audience connects, and is entertained.  The checks cash...

In the end I suppose it depends.  Either way my job is to help have a good show.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 11:39:48 PM »

I make no attempt to trick the crowd. My MIDI tracks are specific, well composed, and oh, did I also say licensed?  My inspiration came from Tina Turner about 90'-92'. Listening carefully I heard horn sections, violins, and a pad. I couldn't see them, but I heard them clear as day. Of the 10,000 people in attendance I may have been the only person who noticed the pad. A trip back stage after the show led me to the rest of the band, all racked neatly behind a curtain.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Parker

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 07:45:38 AM »

“I am personally offended by the idea of "musicians" needing backing tracks to prop up their performance. I'm saying this AS a musician!”

Brian Marshall

I don't know what you do for a living, but I play in a duo for a living. We use backing tracks. It's pure economics, really. We make less now than we did 30 years ago, adjusting for inflation. As a duo, we can scrape out a modest living. With a full band we would starve. We also get gigs that bands couldn't do – private parties, Tiki bars, etc. We've even taken to busking at fairs and festivals.

If that 'offends' you, I'm sorry. I would love to have a raging 7-piece that tore up the stage, but those days are long gone. Live music is a business of diminishing returns now, and one must do what one can to survive.

Regards,

Bob

I saw Queen back in their heyday. When they got to the difficult part of Bohemian Rhapsody, they stepped away from their mics and took a break onstage, no faking it, while a reel-reel recorder I could see at FOH ran the harmony parts.

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 08:30:18 AM »

Using "Modern" technology is not for the faint of heart. This is my favorite disaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx_GjyXCs4 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 08:30:18 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.