ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Venting  (Read 25905 times)

Bob Kidd

Just Venting
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:38:30 AM »

Why does it seem todays bands feel the need to use more and more music tracks to the point it is almost "Band Karaoke"? Very frustrating.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Just Venting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:42:39 AM »

Why does it seem todays bands feel the need to use more and more music tracks to the point it is almost "Band Karaoke"? Very frustrating.

If you do a show with lots of tracks but have curtains and props and stuff, it's called "theatre".  ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Marshall

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »

edit
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:31:54 PM by Brian Marshall »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »

In this age of ever smaller budgets and people still expecting the BIG SHOW, it's no wonder tracks are used.
The synth player can use a string patch and not a violin player in sight, so who says you shouldn't use backing tracks.
I'm not suggesting something as radical as replacing a grand piano player with a track of the same but, with some due consideration, they can be used effectively.
Just did a gig with a bass guitar track and no player. It was a bit odd but then I do another show with 4 string players and some backing track to fill it out and it works great.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »

As usual, there are shades of gray here. There's a big spectrum between replacing the bass player while he stands and stage and plays along, and playing the string score from your record alongside the band as tracks.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »

The synth player can use a string patch and not a violin player in sight, so who says you shouldn't use backing tracks.
I'm not suggesting something as radical as replacing a grand piano player with a track of the same but, with some due consideration, they can be used effectively.
Just did a gig with a bass guitar track and no player. It was a bit odd but then I do another show with 4 string players and some backing track to fill it out and it works great.

...and then it's a slippery slope to "let's keep the click on because the drummer can't keep time" and "let's keep that kb part in cause we don't have the same sounds" and "let's keep the background vocals in cause we can't duplicate them" and pretty soon it's just easier to keep the whole production in because it "just sounds better"

Of course IT SOUNDS BETTER!

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »

If you work in the "Sound Reinforcement" business, your job is to reinforce the sound, not to judge or complain about what the source is!  Tracks, Bands, DJs, Theatre, Talking Heads, who cares!!!  It's not frustrating at all, you just haven't figured out that live bands with musicians are not the only people that need audio services.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »

...and then it's a slippery slope to "let's keep the click on because the drummer can't keep time" and "let's keep that kb part in cause we don't have the same sounds" and "let's keep the background vocals in cause we can't duplicate them" and pretty soon it's just easier to keep the whole production in because it "just sounds better"

Of course IT SOUNDS BETTER!

99% percent of the bands I have worked with that use a click have good drummers, who play to a click to sync along to tracks (not because they can't keep good time), or because their genre values consistency over variability. Only once did I mix an artist where I actually thought the drummer might be lost without a click.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »

I'm experiencing this phenomenon more often in praise and worship teams as well. I am personally offended by the idea of "musicians" needing backing tracks to prop up their performance. I'm saying this AS a musician!

This is not something I have seen but as another musician, I would also be offended by it.

Steve.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »

I'm experiencing this phenomenon more often in praise and worship teams as well. I am personally offended by the idea of "musicians" needing backing tracks to prop up their performance. I'm saying this AS a musician! It is shamefully apparent that genuine talent is being systematically replaced by the exceedingly high levels of expected stage production that TV shows like IDOL and others continue to perpetuate. It is now trickling down to church music ministry, and frankly, I'm disgusted by it.

What happened to people being trained to actually perform competently with their instrument, instead of simply relying on electronic gizmos to "fill in the gaps"? Yeah, I know there are going to be those who argue that there isn't enough talent to go around anymore, therefore backing tracks are a necessity; but I claim nonsense! I think people have just gotten lazy and it's easier to play a recorded track and fake it on stage.

Now, I realize backing tracks have been used in pre-recorded and live television production since the early 70's, but the first time I witnessed this at the local level, I was a bit shocked.

I was visiting a church and enjoying a cover tune by the band, when it dawned on me that there wasn't a bass player on stage, but the bass riffs were indeed being pounded out! After the service, I asked about it, and was told that it was their policy to use a complete backing track so in the event a worship team member didn't show up to play that particular morning, no one would notice. HA! I guess it took a musician to notice.  ::) Can you imagine how silly it would look if there was no drummer on the kit, but beats were still grooving?

I've had the same thoughts before... I'm kinda glad the 2 churches I mix at regularly(ironically never on Sunday, just various youth nights during the week) aren't set up for backing tracks(no IEMs). Last night we only had 3 band members there so it was piano, bass, and drums, and it worked fine. I also have pleasure of working with some very talented musicians who can make just about any situation work, and when we do have a full band and some rehearsal time they sound really good.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.