ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Personal Rig that will Impress? Danley?  (Read 18768 times)

David Hoover

Re: Personal Rig that will Impress? Danley?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »

I just wanted to throw another reply up since I have extensively tested the SM80's now with a few gig in a few venues and outside.  The SM80's are the first portable speakers I have ever been completely happy with.  They are everything I would think anyone would want in a portable rig.  They need a small amount of EQ to my taste, but they were easy to dial in. 

After that, very transparent, dynamic, and free of that "warm" or "harsh" harmonic distortion.  There was a separation of sources that was amazing and it takes on average 1/4 of the time for me to get a great mix on these than really any other system I mix on right now (which is quite a few).  I was lightly clipping my subs and I wondered; how hard are my speakers working?  They were around -10 or -12dB on the amp.  I only had an "A" weighted meter with me, but we were running in the mid 90's from 60ft away at that point.  I was most impressed by the SM80's ability to reproduce mid-bass that I could feel in the ground.  I am very impressed and have never had so many complements on our sound system.

Thanks for the incite in helping me.  I am confident in this rig.  I will be considering subwoofers next!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 08:38:34 PM »

I just wanted to throw another reply up since I have extensively tested the SM80's now with a few gig in a few venues and outside.  The SM80's are the first portable speakers I have ever been completely happy with.  They are everything I would think anyone would want in a portable rig.  They need a small amount of EQ to my taste, but they were easy to dial in. 

After that, very transparent, dynamic, and free of that "warm" or "harsh" harmonic distortion.  There was a separation of sources that was amazing and it takes on average 1/4 of the time for me to get a great mix on these than really any other system I mix on right now (which is quite a few).  I was lightly clipping my subs and I wondered; how hard are my speakers working?  They were around -10 or -12dB on the amp.  I only had an "A" weighted meter with me, but we were running in the mid 90's from 60ft away at that point.  I was most impressed by the SM80's ability to reproduce mid-bass that I could feel in the ground.  I am very impressed and have never had so many complements on our sound system.

Thanks for the incite in helping me.  I am confident in this rig.  I will be considering subwoofers next!
It takes a good bit of subage to keep up with them.  Depending on music styles-it could take 4 or more 2x18" front loaded subs for each Sm80
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Hoover

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »

It takes a good bit of subage to keep up with them.  Depending on music styles-it could take 4 or more 2x18" front loaded subs for each Sm80

I believe it. I could more than double my sub array for the SM80's! Crazy amounts of output for such a small package. 134dB sound system that can fit in my back seat...lol...well not the subs though.

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »

Thanks for an update.  I'm hoping to have some SM80s soon.

David Hoover

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »

Thanks for an update.  I'm hoping to have some SM80s soon.

Just for a fun FYI, I have tested the SM80's in one of our rooms accompanied by 12 Turbosound TSW118 subs powered by labs.  I think that if the SM80'S had the power they need, they would keep up with them. Two per side would probably start to outrun them.  Thats with 6 subs ground stacked per side.  We were sustaining 96dBA (smarrt) in the 2500 seat auditorium with two SM80's and the two XTI1002 amps accompanied by the subs.

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »

I'm one of those guys with a pair of EV QRX212/75's that are debating on making the SM80 plunge.  My question would be, how are SM80's with playback music; MP3's with genres like:  EDM, Reggae, Rap, R&B, Top40, etc?  Would they require much massaging of the EQ around 100Hz to the provide kick I'm use to with the QRX's?   I usually filter my 4 TH-118's at 80 or 85Hz and start my tops at ~100Hz.

I'd like to take my QRX and ZXA5's up to Danley and do an A/B comparison as it's only about and hour away. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:49:51 PM by Reggie Kendrick »
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »

Just for a fun FYI, I have tested the SM80's in one of our rooms accompanied by 12 Turbosound TSW118 subs powered by labs.  I think that if the SM80'S had the power they need, they would keep up with them. Two per side would probably start to outrun them.

How much louder do you think 2 SM80s per side will be than 1? How much horizontal coverage do you actually need?

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »

How much louder do you think 2 SM80s per side will be than 1? How much horizontal coverage do you actually need?

Mac
One of the things that many people miss is that when they use arrayable speakers, the on axis SPL only gets louder in the lower freq (below where the horn has pattern control).

The on axis level (at least in the pattern control area of the horn) will not really go up.

Of course if the horn is small-then you will get more SPL-ALONG WITH more interference and lower sound quality.

There is no free lunch.

In the "perfect world", each person will only be hearing ONE source (at least for mids/highs), but that is not always the case-no matter what some people will tell you--------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »

One of the things that many people miss is that when they use arrayable speakers, the on axis SPL only gets louder in the lower freq (below where the horn has pattern control).

The on axis level (at least in the pattern control area of the horn) will not really go up.

Of course if the horn is small-then you will get more SPL-ALONG WITH more interference and lower sound quality.

There is no free lunch.

In the "perfect world", each person will only be hearing ONE source (at least for mids/highs), but that is not always the case-no matter what some people will tell you--------------------

I remember when I learned that.   I had a pair of 'reputable' speakers on each side of a stage and the sound was unbalanced.  A much wiser sound guy explained to me what was happening.

Understanding that there would need to be different processing/eq for a pair of cabinets vs an individual per side, was a big step in understanding the physics of how speakers work.  A really important lesson, one best learned (at least for me) by trying and listening and hearing the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.