ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PlayBack Music from Phone's  (Read 14088 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: PlayBack Music from Phone's
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 03:47:14 AM »

I just went through this earlier.  Youth conference setup with a quick run through of the council's opening VDO.  They had a phone, too.  I said "take it out of the case and hand it to someone to run.  I'll plug it in and run the mixing board."

I also set up another 3.5mm on stage in case we get another phone playback or power point.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »

"Which track?"
"Track 2".
"OK, give me a signal"
(signal)
(push play on track 2)
(team stands there...)
(coach comes running)
"THAT'S THE WRONG TRACK!"
"But..."

This exact thing just happened to me last month. Talent showcase for a temple.  First, father of one talent comes up and hands me a CD. (I was told ahead of time all tracks would be coming out of one laptop(there were 3 actually)). Lucky for him I have CD player. I pop it in BEFORE show start, he tells me the track # and I cue it and preview it for him. He nods his head in agreement. Ok we're cool, I re-cue the track. 

You guessed it, kid gets on stage, I start music (same track he agreed to) and it's the wrong song.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »

This exact thing just happened to me last month. Talent showcase for a temple.  First, father of one talent comes up and hands me a CD. (I was told ahead of time all tracks would be coming out of one laptop(there were 3 actually)). Lucky for him I have CD player. I pop it in BEFORE show start, he tells me the track # and I cue it and preview it for him. He nods his head in agreement. Ok we're cool, I re-cue the track. 

You guessed it, kid gets on stage, I start music (same track he agreed to) and it's the wrong song.

Or you hit play and they then tell you that it needs to start at 1:34...

Or they want you to remove the vocal from the track...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »

I like when the talent hands you a CD with no case. CD skips, 'it played fine at home, your CD player must be the problem', ignoring the fact that the 10 CDs previous to them played fine.

I bring a Pioneer CDJ-1000 for track shows, if that thing can't play it then the CD is probably toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »

I use an iPhone for break music.  I have a set of song lists that I use specifically for this purpose.  The quality is surprisingly good.

I do a few parties per year.  For the last year or more I have consistently had requests to play music from someone's phone. 

I also make them cue it up themselves, and simply fade over to their inputs when needed.  I have had 3 different phones hooked up at once waiting in line to play their favorite song on the big PA.

It ends up being a big part of the party.  People want to hear their favorite songs on a nice PA system.  Frequently, the younger people have music that I am unaware of that everyone enjoys.

I think that this is the future of any DJ type work.  Of course, different use models will have different needs, but I think it unwise to disappoint the audience as a sound provider when other providers are willing to make them happy.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 09:39:23 PM »

I am the sound guy for my church.
Young people give me phones.
Middle age CDs
Old people give me cassettes

The cassettes are the worst
Not to Code

Jerry Burns

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 10:00:16 PM »

I'm doing a High School Talent Show today. I did a run thru last night and most of the act's brought there music on there Phone. The phones have covers and are different brands each phone started and stopped with different ways. also all of the phones would go to sleep before I got the kids going. One phone had a pass code that had to be entered if it went to sleep. Out of about 10 acts only 1 act used a CD. Also 1 of the kids got a call, all while hooked up to the PA, it was her Dad.
I'm not complying and we will make it through the night but it was a challenge, The day of the CD is leaving very quickly and the sound quality takes another hit but that's the price of convenience.
I'm really surprised how fast this has happened and the new challenges we face. Thanks Jerry  :-\
I did the show Friday night and it all went well. The teacher assigned 2 kids to take care of the phones. They handled getting the phones and running the tracks I just rode the fadders. I was really just talking about the fact we have left the CD behind. Seems like another new day. Thanks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 11:08:46 PM »

Old people give me cassettes

Thanks for making me feel like an old timer :) !

One event I do every year is a rodeo our church does as a special event.  One of the few events I actually "DJ".  Problem is it is done at noon to 1 o'clock and I am usually in full sunlight.  Cassettes are actually the easiest to cue and pick a song (with an assistant) in that situation-though it has been several years since I used them.  Unless anybody knows of any media playback devices that are sunlight friendly!
Steve Swaffer

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 12:56:40 AM »

We have a no cassette policy... 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 04:17:25 AM »

For outdoor shows, I've seen apple's overtemperature triangle more times than I wanted too.  Black digital devices left in the sun waiting for their turn to play.  Or not.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 04:17:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.