ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AT4033/CL (A) Disassembly Issues  (Read 2811 times)

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
AT4033/CL (A) Disassembly Issues
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:16:47 PM »

I snagged an AT4033/CL on Kijiji yesterday. Got it for a fantastic price because there were a few dents in the grille. Checked it out and functionally it worked 100%, so deal done!

I removed the casing from the microphone to work some of the dents out of the grille (I do this at my day job with brass instruments). Got the dents out easily and it looks like new. However as I was preparing to put the mic back together, an unruly house mate grabbed the guts of the mic off the kitchen table stating 'this is cool!' and a piece fell out.

I can't seem to figure out what it is, or where it should go.

My best guess is that it's some sort of tab to ensure a good ground connection with the casing. The mic is working just fine without it. But I'd obviously rather put it back where it belongs.

If anyone has experience repairing or disassembling the 40 series mics, I'd appreciate the help.

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
Re: AT4033/CL (A) Disassembly Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »

Electrical question:

is it normal for a condenser mic to hum like mad if it's turned on with the casing removed? With the casing off, the mic produces a large amount of hum. I can reduce it slightly by touching metal somewhere, which would seem to indicate a grounding issue. However if I put the casing/grille back in place, it works completely normally. No hum, sound right, normal level.

Does the grille act as some sort of faraday cage for the capsule? Should it actually be silent with the grille removed?

I still haven't figured out where this piece goes. I received an exploded diagram from AT, and I can't locate the part on it. Maybe it was never supposed to be in there in the first place?

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »

Have you called AT?

Their tech guys are great.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »

Duncan,

It almost looks like the metal spring piece that you find under the locking tab in Amphenol female XLR connectors.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »

Have you called AT?

Their tech guys are great.

Thanks to the tech guys at AT (Erikson Pro here in Canada) I have fixed this guy!

For the sake of the archives, these metal tab sits on the edge of the mount component of the casing, and ensures a good contact with the upper portion of the casing. Here is a picture:

The mic appears to be working just great now.

I've also realized that the multiple pops when turning on phantom power happen with other mics as well. Looks to be an issue with the console. I mistakenly ASSumed it had to do with the mic missing a part.

A huge thank you to Gaétan Fournier at AT Canada for his help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.