ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear speaker in reverbrant room  (Read 9216 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Rear speaker in reverbrant room
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »

Setting the delay for slightly longer then the actual distance gives the effect that the sound is coming from the main stage area rather then the delays.

Ah, the Haas Precedence Effect.  I've found that using additional delay (beyond what is needed for a phase alignment) doesn't provide enough benefit to justify the messing with the alignment.

The advantage here is main volume can be lower, speaker are not aimed at walls, reverb is less,  feedback issues from mains is less.

The disadvantage is if the talent walks into the delay field he hears the delay which may disconcert him/her and make it difficult to sing on pitch.

I don't think it would be any worse than simply being X distance from the mains.  Even if there was no delay ring/zone/fills, a performer or presenter that far from the main PA would still be subject to the same speed of sound, time-of-flight.  Acoustic or electronic, it's still distance=time.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »

Ah, the Haas Precedence Effect.  I've found that using additional delay (beyond what is needed for a phase alignment) doesn't provide enough benefit to justify the messing with the alignment.

I don't think it would be any worse than simply being X distance from the mains.  Even if there was no delay ring/zone/fills, a performer or presenter that far from the main PA would still be subject to the same speed of sound, time-of-flight.  Acoustic or electronic, it's still distance=time.

It's Kind of funny to hear someone announce from the back of a large venue and hear their voice slow down as they try to sync with the sound.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.