ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PlayBack Music from Phone's  (Read 14091 times)

Jerry Burns

PlayBack Music from Phone's
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:43:58 PM »

I'm doing a High School Talent Show today. I did a run thru last night and most of the act's brought there music on there Phone. The phones have covers and are different brands each phone started and stopped with different ways. also all of the phones would go to sleep before I got the kids going. One phone had a pass code that had to be entered if it went to sleep. Out of about 10 acts only 1 act used a CD. Also 1 of the kids got a call, all while hooked up to the PA, it was her Dad.
I'm not complying and we will make it through the night but it was a challenge, The day of the CD is leaving very quickly and the sound quality takes another hit but that's the price of convenience.
I'm really surprised how fast this has happened and the new challenges we face. Thanks Jerry  :-\

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: PlayBack Music from Phone's
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 02:04:16 PM »

I'm doing a High School Talent Show today. I did a run thru last night and most of the act's brought there music on there Phone. The phones have covers and are different brands each phone started and stopped with different ways. also all of the phones would go to sleep before I got the kids going. One phone had a pass code that had to be entered if it went to sleep. Out of about 10 acts only 1 act used a CD. Also 1 of the kids got a call, all while hooked up to the PA, it was her Dad.
I'm not complying and we will make it through the night but it was a challenge, The day of the CD is leaving very quickly and the sound quality takes another hit but that's the price of convenience.
I'm really surprised how fast this has happened and the new challenges we face. Thanks Jerry  :-\

1. In the future tell them all to bring their music on thumb drives, and load them into a computer running playback software designed for the task (My favorite is Soundboard).

2. Unless you have a damn fine sound system in that high school, you are unlikely to be able to tell the difference in quality of the files they have you play. The phones, on the other hand, probably sound completely random.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »

My general policy is if you provide me with a phone for playback, you provide me with a person to push the button. All phones go on aeroplane mode, and any auto lock is switched off before being given to me!

I'll also on occasion run a pair of DIs from the stage with a 3.5 to 2x 6.5 so they can run their cellphone based tracks from there if they choose to!

It is a sad day however that seemingly cellphones are becoming a standard accepted form of playback. I tend to kick up a bit of a fuss and make a big deal when someone hands me a phone as they walk onstage... I don't like the idea to get across that it's a preferred playback device!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »

NO F***ING CONSUMER DEVICES!!!!

That's my policy and I'm sticking with it.  If they can't eMail me an MP3 ahead of time or bring their track on a USB stick or CD, they don't get played.  All music to be ripped into one of my computers before the show and verified viable.

No exceptions.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »

I'll deal with phones on the following conditions:

- Take the case/cover off
- Put it in airplane mode.  NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Write down your unlock code.  Yes, it will lock on me when I'm not looking, I don't care what your passcode is or what else is on your phone.
- Cue up and show me the media to be played.

Everybody's got a phone, almost no one brings CDs these days.  I can count on one hand the number of times the CD player in my rack was used by someone other than me in the last year.  And a memory stick?  Good luck.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »

- Take the case/cover off
- Put it in airplane mode.  NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Write down your unlock code.
- Cue up and show me the media to be played.

Yes!  I'm making a laminated sign.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 05:11:07 PM »

NO F***ING CONSUMER DEVICES!!!!

That's my policy and I'm sticking with it.  If they can't eMail me an MP3 ahead of time or bring their track on a USB stick or CD, they don't get played.  All music to be ripped into one of my computers before the show and verified viable.

No exceptions.
While I AGREE 1000% Dick, I've done DJ work at numerous HS "banquets" over the last 6 yrs. They don't want live music anymore - unless they play The Duggie, Wobble and Cupid Shuffle, among other hip-hop/dance/trance/techno stuff.

I've requesting those formats NUMEROUS times, yet ending up with the organizer(s), attendees coming up with phones DURING the event...  it's not a realistic ENFORCEABLE policy. Well, not if you want to get invited back. They look at you and question ones ability to "keep up!". You're so much COOLER when you can play all kindsa sh*t from all kindsa devices..

Last event I did, I had 3 sets of 1/8" inputs going into the mixer, plus laptop.. but like others have mentioned..
NO CASES
AIRPLANE MODE
SONG QUEUED with me there..

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »

While I AGREE 1000% Dick, I've done DJ work at numerous HS "banquets" over the last 6 yrs. They don't want live music anymore - unless they play The Duggie, Wobble and Cupid Shuffle, among other hip-hop/dance/trance/techno stuff.

I've requesting those formats NUMEROUS times, yet ending up with the organizer(s), attendees coming up with phones DURING the event...  it's not a realistic ENFORCEABLE policy. Well, not if you want to get invited back. They look at you and question ones ability to "keep up!". You're so much COOLER when you can play all kindsa sh*t from all kindsa devices..

Last event I did, I had 3 sets of 1/8" inputs going into the mixer, plus laptop.. but like others have mentioned..
NO CASES
AIRPLANE MODE
SONG QUEUED with me there..

I usually run into this s*** when there's a "talent show" in the middle of a two or three-day fair or event.  If the gig was 100% random playback stuff I'll just take a pass.  I'm too old and life's too short.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »

Our policy is simple. Your device = YOU make it work. We ain't touching it. A final line check before performance, and we're just fader jockeys. Something goes wrong? YOUR problem, not mine. Heck, the i-device is usually too far away for us to touch it, anyway.
But this comes from doing 2-300 performances per day. For 5-6, you may not need to go that far.
Same with CD's, actually. Because of this:

"Which track?"
"Track 2".
"OK, give me a signal"
(signal)
(push play on track 2)
(team stands there...)
(coach comes running)
"THAT'S THE WRONG TRACK!"
"But..."
(dirty looks from entire audience, including the paying client, shoot our way)

Nu-uh. We don't play that game anymore.

Thomas Le

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »

Our policy is simple. Your device = YOU make it work. We ain't touching it. A final line check before performance, and we're just fader jockeys. Something goes wrong? YOUR problem, not mine. Heck, the i-device is usually too far away for us to touch it, anyway.
But this comes from doing 2-300 performances per day. For 5-6, you may not need to go that far.
Same with CD's, actually. Because of this:

"Which track?"
"Track 2".
"OK, give me a signal"
(signal)
(push play on track 2)
(team stands there...)
(coach comes running)
"THAT'S THE WRONG TRACK!"
"But..."
(dirty looks from entire audience, including the paying client, shoot our way)

Nu-uh. We don't play that game anymore.

This.

I've encountered this many times that it's really frustrating & annoying, I've had it with people coming up to me asking to play a particular song from whatever they're handing me. I respond with the same as above "Your device = YOU make it work. We ain't touching it."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.