ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen & Heath vs Behringer...  (Read 13860 times)

Chris Edwards

Allen & Heath vs Behringer...
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »

So I have ultimately decided to go the digital route with my latest system upgrade.  I am still debating on the X32 Rack but the main focus of my questions is the X32 producer vs the Allen & Heath Qu-16.  The x32 producer I can get for around $1275 vs $1700 for the Qu-16.  I am only going to need 16 channels max so that is not really a debate.  As far as sound quality, build quality and functionality, is the Qu-16 worth the extra $425?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Allen & Heath vs Behringer...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »

As a user of the X32 Compact and the Qu-16, here's my opinion:

Sound Quality: equivalent unless you consider the range of effects offered. The X32 has more effects options and more effects rack slots.
Build Quality: Qu-16
Functionality: X32 by far.  It's much more flexible.  The one function the Qu-16 wins with is the direct-to-drive multitrack recording.  That's handy if you need it.  Behringer is supposed to be releasing a card for the X32 to do that at some point.

I'd be leery of not having the scribble strips on the X32 but if you're only doing 16 channels then the Producer may do fine.  With the latest firmware release, you can have 16 input channels assigned to all of the physical faders instead of having to multi-layer it.

If you're considering an X32 Rack as well, it may be better to stay in the same family and get the X32 Producer.

If simplicity is a determining factor, the Qu-16 is the better option since more of the configuration is fixed and there are less ways for someone to get themselves into trouble.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »

If you're considering the X32 rack, then sticking with the same family is a very logical choice.  It allows you to learn and master one system, and the devices can be used together if needed.  With an x32 rack, your 16 channel producer can now be a 32 channel mixer when the need arises.
Brian Jojade

Chris Edwards

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »

Thanks for both of the replies.  In reference to the X32 rack and X32 producer, it's more of an either or not as in purchasing both. 

Either of the X32 units seems to be ticking all the right check boxes.  For some reason I am still being lured by the Qu-16.  I am not sure if it's the many years I spent with various A&H products, the whole Behringer name or what. 

Anyone else have any input on this?

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »

Thanks for both of the replies.  In reference to the X32 rack and X32 producer, it's more of an either or not as in purchasing both. 

Either of the X32 units seems to be ticking all the right check boxes.  For some reason I am still being lured by the Qu-16.  I am not sure if it's the many years I spent with various A&H products, the whole Behringer name or what. 

Chris, over the years I have mixed a lot of shows on Allen & Heath analog boards.  I use to own several of them and they all worked great from the Mix Rack to the GL4000.  I never thought that I would buy anything Behringer once I was to the point that I could buy what I wanted.  I was wrong.  I own 2 X32 mixers and 2 X32 Rack (if the second one ever gets here).  I can tell you from my personal experience the X32 line has been great and has held up over the last couple of hundred jobs.  The effects are great sounding the board sounds great and I have no complaints.  I have not used the producer, but if you are going to be mixing from an iPad then I would go with the X32 Rack.  If you feel you need to have an interface in front of you and you want to have some faders then go with the X32 Producer.

Just my opinion.

Bill  ;)
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »

I love my QU16...broken record I know. I just do.
I have absolutely no personal experience whatsoever with the X32.
I know a couple of people who have them and really like them. I accept that they are more flexible and have more functions than the QU16 but all I can say is that I had the same reservations you have. I couldn't get past the 'B' word. Maybe my loss but I just couldn't for all kinds of reasons that have been discussed at length on this forum and others.
I also already had a comfort level with the mixwiz and felt the learning curve would be less steep for me. I am very pleased I chose that route now but maybe if my requirements were greater, I might be disappointed. Who knows?
I love the multitrack  recording capability of the QU16 which ironically was not a big factor in my decision but had become so very handy.
I am not too much of a brand snob but I get a kick out of showing people the desk and being able to say it is Allen & Heath. I get positive responses.
Like I said, maybe I did not get as big a bang for my buck as I would have with the X32 but I am very contented with my lot.
One last thing and this might not be considered a very reliable source or a good representation due to the amount of units sold but my local GC guy told me the other day that the X32's have really been starting to come in for repair over the past few months.......I'll hold off judging that one  till I've owned mine a while longer and the QU16 has been well road tested!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 06:46:49 AM »

One last thing and this might not be considered a very reliable source or a good representation due to the amount of units sold but my local GC guy told me the other day that the X32's have really been starting to come in for repair over the past few months.......I'll hold off judging that one  till I've owned mine a while longer and the QU16 has been well road tested!!!

I concur that I wouldn't rely on anything said in a GC.  It may simply be that the Qu16 has a slightly higher margin, or GC is running an internal promotion for sales people on the Qu, or ...
Mark McFarlane

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »

So I have ultimately decided to go the digital route with my latest system upgrade.  I am still debating on the X32 Rack but the main focus of my questions is the X32 producer vs the Allen & Heath Qu-16.  The x32 producer I can get for around $1275 vs $1700 for the Qu-16.  I am only going to need 16 channels max so that is not really a debate.  As far as sound quality, build quality and functionality, is the Qu-16 worth the extra $425?

Chris,

Cory did a great job of doing the overall benefits of each.

I own an X32 Rack and was torn between this and the X32 Producer.  It was very difficult for me to go to a nearly complete virtual mix interface (I used to have a MixWiz).

My situation is that I run sound predominantly for my own band, and occasionally for friends as a favor.

From a rational standpoint, I reviewed my gig videos and found that having a good tablet interface would be my best bet mixing from stage.... and that when I do mix for others, I would rather mix remotely without my snake since I continuously find that many venues I play simply don't have a good spot for a FOH mixing area to be placed.

My experience in going without faders has been very positive.  I believe that Bill (who is about 1,000,000 times as experienced in live sound as I am) has had similar experiences.

I have an iPad Mini and a mic stand holder for it.  My mixer is now right in front of me all night with a complete meter bridge showing me all the input strengths at a glance.

My current process is that we setup the FOH and stage, do a sound check while recording multi-track to reaper on a laptop, then play it back while standing out front and mixing down the band.

We use IEM's and I use the reference level I get after sound check as my "good mix" through the night to boost and cut different inputs either to adjust for song differences, or to adjust for a band member that can't keep their hands off of their volume knob ;)

I spent quite a bit of time deciding between the QU and Producer before I decided to completely make the plunge and just go virtual all the way (which I now really love).

For me, the biggest factor was the lack of DCA's on the Qu-16.  I find that the majority of my mixing is all done simply by adjusting the DCA group for drums, bass, guitars, or vocals.

In either product, I suggest getting a good 5Ghz wireless router.  I had a cheep 2.4Ghz I was using for about a month, but got spotty reception (not disconnects, just dropouts in VU meter and changes made).  I now use a android app that shows me all the different SSID's being used and which channels they are using so that I can easily find one that isn't being used.

I haven't had any issues with this process since November of last year.

I would enjoy having the ability to record multi-track directly to a USB hard disk.  I would bring a laptop anyway since this would become my backup should something happen to my iPad or the wireless network should become unusable for some reason.

I don't think you will be disappointed with any of these products.  They are all outstanding.

Chris Edwards

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »

After driving myself crazy the past few days I finally out my order in for the x32 rack.  I place the order and then 15 minutes later the store calls me back and says it was out of stock.  Argggh. 

So I decide to call another store I deal with.  I get to talking with my rep and he tells me that they have been getting a higher than usual return on all of the X32 units which have faders.  Not exactly the news I wanted to hear.  He says that the rack should be fine because of the lack of moving parts.  Anyways, we get to talking more and I explain that I was also looking at the Qu-16.  After a bit of discussion he makes a few points that I would like to hear peoples feedback on.

1.  The build quality on the Qu-16 is better than the X-32 line.  He says if you bought  them both today he would expect to still see the Qu-16 functioning 5-6 years down the line while the behringer would probably be out of commission.

2.  The resale value of the Allen & Heath would probably be higher.

3.  The Qu-16 is much more intuitive and the time spent learning the ins and outs of the X32 should also be calculated into the pricing depending on what your time is worth.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »

I concur that I wouldn't rely on anything said in a GC.  It may simply be that the Qu16 has a slightly higher margin, or GC is running an internal promotion for sales people on the Qu, or ...

It sure wouldn't surprise me...he he
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.