ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avid SC-48  (Read 3914 times)

Al Rettich

Avid SC-48
« on: April 03, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »

Surprised today, as we were loading in one of my stagehands said he purchased a Avid SC-48 and is using it as a DAW for his Apple Logic X. He went further on to tell that almost any live desk with MIDI on it can be used as a DAW. He said he got the idea from seeing Behringer X32 as a DAW.

Anyone else out there using the SC-48 as a DAW controller.. I'd be interested in learning more about this.

chris johnson

Re: Avid SC-48
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »

seems like a pretty expensive midi controller :)

Surprised today, as we were loading in one of my stagehands said he purchased a Avid SC-48 and is using it as a DAW for his Apple Logic X. He went further on to tell that almost any live desk with MIDI on it can be used as a DAW. He said he got the idea from seeing Behringer X32 as a DAW.

Anyone else out there using the SC-48 as a DAW controller.. I'd be interested in learning more about this.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 02:24:51 AM »

In terms of language, Logic is the DAW, he is using the Avid as a control surface and possibly as the front end (preamps) and backend (studio controller).

Emitting MIDI alone usually isn't enough, you need the controller to send specific MIDI messages that the DAW understands, or you need to do some programming.  There are a common set of protocols for DAW control, HUI and Mackie Control being perhaps the most prolific, EuCon Control being another option (that AVID now owns since they bought Euphonix 5 years ago or so.) EuCon is ethernet based, I don't think it is based on midi messages. 

The midi message structure is very limited, and is low resolution [8-bit, 0..127].  HUI and Mackie are midi message based, often implemented as midi over USB.

seems like a pretty expensive midi controller :)

Very expensive for a surface alone but you also get excellent low latency out-of-the box personal headphone mixes for tracking, routing for the control room,... 

Still a LOT cheaper than AVID's System 5 dedicated DAW controller which starts around $70K. http://www.avid.com/US/products/avid-system-5

FWIW, One important feature in a DAW control surface is 'touch sensitive' motorized faders.  The touch sensitive part allows the controller to send a signal to the DAW when your finger is on a fader, and when it is lifted.  This is used to autoamtically switch the fader from read mode to write mode during automation.  Extremely handy.  Not sure if the SC48 supports this.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:28:18 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:36:48 AM »

The SC48 surface is probably more similar to the C 24 control surface than the fancy new stuff.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:36:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.