ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fashion Show Lighting and Gobo Projection...  (Read 3606 times)

Chris Edwards

Fashion Show Lighting and Gobo Projection...
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »

Hey Folks,

I have two different problems I am hoping to get some advice for.

Question #1:

I am going to be doing sound for a fashion show next month.  The group has asked if I can provide some type of runway light for the models.  It's a charity event so the budget is tight but there is one.  The problem I am running into is placement.  the I shaped.  it is 24 wide at the front and back and the center runway is 24 feet also.  I was thinking about utilizing 4-6 Source 4s that I have for a wash by placing them on polls from out in front of the stage and lighting from the front.  The ceiling height is only about 12 feet though so it seems that the lights would be shooting right in the models faces as they walk down.  I also have about 16 LED pars I could use as well.  These could go on tripods but I feel like they would still be the same problem.  Any other ideas for placement?

Question #2

I am providing to Source 4s for Gobo projection at another event.  The room is 80' x 50'.  The couple is requesting that the gobos be projected in the center of the wall on the longer sides of the room.  This give me a projection distance of about 50' if I do straight across projection.  This is possible with the right lens but I am wondering if it's possible to do it from the the side or do you think it would skew the design to much?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: Fashion Show Lighting and Gobo Projection...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 02:52:38 AM »

For fashion shows, it depends.

A "real" fashion show would need 2 to 4 DOZEN lights to do right.  No LED's unless they had a very good white with a high color rendering index.  No gel unless it is used for color correction to match follow spots or movers for video.  Models will be use to bright lights.

Non pro/charity fashion shows can pose all kinds of other problems.
Non pro models may not tolerate lights in the eyes. To deal with this I have used lights out front but off to the sides.  Shuttered from the neck up on average height models.  I have also used many lower output lights to lessen the brightness of each light in there eyes.

The "powers that be" may have different ideas as to what areas of the stage are important.  Some want the whole thing, some just want the front. The very back is often just an entrance / exit area and may not need to be light up.  Try not to blind the spectators on the opposite side of the runway.

I have done small, nonpro, fashion shows with as few as 2 S4-50 just as face fill for video.  That sucked for light and I would not recommend it.  12 par 56-300 worked well. 6 each side about 45 deg off the end of the stage 10 ft up.  3 per side S4 MAY work or 2 per side and 2 head on may also work.  It depends on what is important, the room, and if the models will work with it.  This is the minimum, just to say there is light.

Always have the lights ready for the final rehearsal.  The models will need to get use to them and it gives you time to make any changes.  The goal is even white light to show off the clothing.  Minimum shadowing on the clothing is best.  Never color on the clothing.  Some glitz and color on the back of stage is fine.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

James Feenstra

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:03:12 AM »

For fashion shows, it depends.

A "real" fashion show would need 2 to 4 DOZEN lights to do right.  No LED's unless they had a very good white with a high color rendering index.  No gel unless it is used for color correction to match follow spots or movers for video.  Models will be use to bright lights.

The last fashion show I did had about 450....then again we also had a 300' long runway.

The most important part of your runway will be the end part of the I farthest from backstage, as this is where photographers/important people will generally hang out. If you have a solid amount of lighting there, the actual runway can be a little dimmer.

This will be dependent on the show layout of course, so check with whoevers seating people/in charge of the floor plan to find out what should go where. When working with film/camera/etc, an even amount of light is more important than a lot of light in most cases.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Josh Daws

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »

so for a the last 24ft runway i used 6 dozen Wide Flood (30degree) 575w opti pars, hung from the roof on truss and that has seemed to work well...

I don't suggest to use LED's unless you can get that exact color temp!...or its not going to go well for anyone...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.