ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making dmx cables  (Read 5276 times)

Kim Guibord

Making dmx cables
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

Hello:

After using xlr cables for my lighting rig, yesterday after adding more fixtures I had problems, so I am making dmx cables, can I use regular xlr connectors or is there something special about using dmx connectors.  Thanks.

Josh Daws

Re: Making dmx cables
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:23:15 AM »

use regular connectors, but make sure you use DMX cable or AES/EBU cable.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »

Also, avoid the cheap connectors. Stick with Neutrik or Switchcraft, as it is not worth saving $.75 on a connector when all it takes is one in the chain to make for a miserable night.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »

DMX cable is a little more expensive but worth it for the peace of mind.  When I started out I used mic cable and never had issues I could directly relate to cables, but I decided to switch over BEFORE I had problems.  I use Neutrik connectors on all my Mic/DMX/NL4 cables and it's completely worth the extra bit of money.  I used an older cable recently that had a cheap knock off (XLR-m) connector and it was crushed to the point that it wouldn't mate with the snake.  The metal was obviously a cheap alloy that was easily malleable.  I've never had that problem with Neutrik connectors.

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »

There is a new tool for out of shape xlr connectors.
http://www.newlighting.com/20263/new-stagejunk-ultimate-resizing-jig
But for the price you can buy a lot of good quality connectors.
To the op, as long as you are building cables, if you haven't seen this you can build your own terminators and dmx testers.
http://www.bigclive.com/dmxtest.htm
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »

I just ordered DMX cable parts from Audiopile to make my own too,  an hour after that (timing is everything) I saw a Monoprice ad highlighting their DMX cables... speced to 110 ohms too. Price was  $4 for a 6 footer, may not be as rugged as Neutrik, but I was tempted.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 03:30:06 AM »

Hello:

After using xlr cables for my lighting rig, yesterday after adding more fixtures I had problems, so I am making dmx cables, can I use regular xlr connectors or is there something special about using dmx connectors.  Thanks.

Nothing special about XLR connectors for DMX.  Same ones as microphone cables.  It's the cable that makes a difference.  BTW, make sure you have a terminator if you have more than 4 or 5 devices daisychained, or if the cable length is long.  As you've found out, do not use microphone cables.

You can also use solid CAT5e cables (ruggedized ones such as Duracat).  If you buy pre-terminated ones, then make or buy a breakout box (e.g. ETS Instasnake) and get 4 XLRs out of one CAT5 cable.  If you buy raw cable, just terminatewith XLR connectors.

Even standard, non-ruggesized solid CAT5e cables such as Belden 1700A hold up pretty well as long as you don't kink it or bend it sharply.

AES/EBU cables work great, but they are way too expensive.

JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »

I rarely have any issues using mic cables for lighting and the times I did I found a cable with pins 2 and 3 swapped on 1 end, so when you build your cables double check all work to make sure nothing is miswired.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.