ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TC Helicon Problem  (Read 3349 times)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
TC Helicon Problem
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

Hello again everyone. Another problem for the masters.

I have a new TC Helicon G-XT harmony processor, and am running it into a mic input on my Yamaha EMX312SC powered mixer. The problem is that the Helicon output is so hot, I can hardly get any volume out of it before it starts to feed back. I asked TC support, and they said I could try an XLR to 1/4" and run it into a line input.
  I never did understand the relationship between input and output signals, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Here are the specs on the TC Helicon:

And the specs on the Yamaha mixer:

Is there any way that I can attenuate this signal?

Thanks.

Bob Burke

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Re: TC Helicon Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 05:57:34 AM »

Anyone?

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:55:34 AM »

Anyone?

The problem is that mixer doesn't have a gain pot or channel level indicator on it. So youll have to compensate for it with the channel and master level adjustments.

These are the steps I'd take.

1 Turn the channel and master level knobs all the way down on the mixer
2 Flatten all the EQ and turn off all Effects send, and Comp off  for that channel
3 Turn the TC FX knob off
4 Adjust the Input for your mic on the TC - they say until the LED is green
5 Bring the mixer master level up to 1/2 way for starters, adjust the mixer channel level knob for appropriate output. If it is still to sensitive, bring the mixer master down to 1/3. Try again. Reference the master output LED level indicators and shoot for just over 0db.
6 The last thing to do is to fold in the TC effects. Slowly adjust the TC FX knob for a good mix. Monitor the mixer LED output and assure that your not peaking the output of the mixer.

If that doesn't work get one of these! (-10db)

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/Adaptors/AP_XLR_PAD/XLR_PAD_cutsheet.shtml

or like the TC help desk said, one of these

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/Adaptors/XLR_Barrel/CA-311/CA-311_cutsheet.shtml

Mike

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 08:21:06 AM »

Mr. Christy -

Thanks a million. Those pads look perfect. Very much appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »

Hello again everyone. Another problem for the masters.

I have a new TC Helicon G-XT harmony processor, and am running it into a mic input on my Yamaha EMX312SC powered mixer. The problem is that the Helicon output is so hot, I can hardly get any volume out of it before it starts to feed back. I asked TC support, and they said I could try an XLR to 1/4" and run it into a line input.
  I never did understand the relationship between input and output signals, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Here are the specs on the TC Helicon:

And the specs on the Yamaha mixer:

Is there any way that I can attenuate this signal?

Thanks.

Bob Burke

As the chart for the mixer shows, use input 1-4 with the input switch set for line. If you need to use input 5-8 then use a xlr to trs adaptor. the +2 dbu spec on the TC unit shows that it outputs line level on the xlr output at full volume. The mixer xlr input on mic mode handles a max of -15 dbu at clip and that is why you are overdriving the mixer inputs if you try to run any decent volume on the TC unit.

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 08:21:36 AM »

As the chart for the mixer shows, use input 1-4 with the input switch set for line. If you need to use input 5-8 then use a xlr to trs adaptor. the +2 dbu spec on the TC unit shows that it outputs line level on the xlr output at full volume. The mixer xlr input on mic mode handles a max of -15 dbu at clip and that is why you are overdriving the mixer inputs if you try to run any decent volume on the TC unit.

So, it's as simple as pushing a Mic/Line button. I'll go sit in the corner with the pointy hat now. ;D

DUHHHHHHHHHHH.................. ???

Thanks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 08:21:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.