ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aluminum rack causing problems  (Read 2334 times)

David Allred

Aluminum rack causing problems
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »

I just completed a 6 zone install.  My first of this complexity.  The property manager got and insisted on me using a used aluminum server rack.  The frame (rails) were "U" channel ( [ ) about 4" deep and 1-1/2" wide. 
Shure BLX wireless had tremendous noise.  It would also have moments of "weirdness", making unnatural sounds.  It was directly above a ZonePro 1260M.  I decided perhaps there was some interference and lowered it.  As soon as I removed the screws and terminated contact between the rails and the racking hardware the noise ceased.  I had a rubber sheet, so I made an iso-pad on a shelf.  Any ideas why the receiver would have to be isolated?

David

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Aluminum rack causing problems
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »

I just completed a 6 zone install.  My first of this complexity.  The property manager got and insisted on me using a used aluminum server rack.  The frame (rails) were "U" channel ( [ ) about 4" deep and 1-1/2" wide. 
Shure BLX wireless had tremendous noise.  It would also have moments of "weirdness", making unnatural sounds.  It was directly above a ZonePro 1260M.  I decided perhaps there was some interference and lowered it.  As soon as I removed the screws and terminated contact between the rails and the racking hardware the noise ceased.  I had a rubber sheet, so I made an iso-pad on a shelf.  Any ideas why the receiver would have to be isolated?

David

What does Shure have to say?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »

I see plenty of those racks every day of the week. what you have is a rack designed for mounting cable panels and equipment of that type. That being said plenty of people use them incorrectly and have no problems.

There is a center attached shelf kit available you could use for the BLX. Take off the rack ears and place it on the shelf (rubber feet).

You also need to make sure the rack is BOLTED to the floor, and that a ground wire is run from one of the bolts to the building ground.

So what did Shure say?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lester Seidenberg

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »

Sounds like an old fashioned ground loop.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:29:50 AM »

Make sure that none of the XLRs have the shield tied to the XLR's case.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:29:50 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.