ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where will all the analog mixing consoles go?  (Read 13559 times)

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
Re: Where will all the analog mixing consoles go?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »

I recently purchased a mackie onyx 24.4 at 800$ including a hard case! This used to cost sub 2000$. Am so happy about it And it's doing all I want. Honestly am still sceptic of the mushrooming cheap digital consoles. I want something robust at a reasonable price. Something that can be easily repaired from my side of town! So I will stay analog for quite some time.
Conrad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylor Hall

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »

Conrad brings up another good point.

While most of these digital boards are proving to be quite reliable, you can't just take them to any established repair center to get something fixed one it. It has to go back to the mothership and you're stuck without a comparable mixer for the duration unless you pack a spare.

Though if you get into that situation and you DON'T have a backup plan, well, you only have yourself to blame. ;)
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 12:48:40 PM »

Other than sub $1000 small format boards (mostly 16-channel and smaller) and APB, who still makes analog boards?

Allen and Heath, Soundcraft, probably others.

http://www.allen-heath.com/series/gl/
http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=131

Steve.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »

Conrad brings up another good point.

While most of these digital boards are proving to be quite reliable, you can't just take them to any established repair center to get something fixed one it. It has to go back to the mothership and you're stuck without a comparable mixer for the duration unless you pack a spare.

Though if you get into that situation and you DON'T have a backup plan, well, you only have yourself to blame. ;)

Mine are being relegated to back-up spare status, fulfilling "special purpose" configs or being sold off to low-budget installs or church groups for whom all the digital bells and whistles are totally superfluous.

It's like the big, boxy heavy old loudspeakers.  You still see them, it's just different people down the line who are using them now.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »

As I mentioned in another thread, some people are parting out their boards and selling the individual channel strips as rackable analog preamps with faders.  Personally, I hate to see nice boards gutted or otherwise trashed...

In the '90s, keyboardists were practically giving away their analog synthesizers.  I remember seeing an ad once for an old Moog (I forget the model) for $25, with the ad suggesting it might be useful to help tune guitars!  It almost became a mantra - "If it ain't MIDI, it ain't shiite!"  Have you checked the prices for vintage synths lately?  They're not 25 bucks anymore...
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »

As I mentioned in another thread, some people are parting out their boards and selling the individual channel strips as rackable analog preamps with faders.  Personally, I hate to see nice boards gutted or otherwise trashed...

In the '90s, keyboardists were practically giving away their analog synthesizers.  I remember seeing an ad once for an old Moog (I forget the model) for $25, with the ad suggesting it might be useful to help tune guitars!  It almost became a mantra - "If it ain't MIDI, it ain't shiite!"  Have you checked the prices for vintage synths lately?  They're not 25 bucks anymore...
Not to get all logical with you, but keep in mind the high price of collectable old synths are to a very tiny number of people with too much money. If there was a real mass market for the old designs somebody would still be making them.

Analog mixing consoles are tragically flawed in comparison to modern digital mixers in a bang for the buck feature comparison. As the market becomes more reliant on features that are only available from digital technology that will be another nail in the analog console coffin.

This is life for any technology based product.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 02:51:47 PM »

We have two situations....

One, I have a 40 ch crest xl8 sitting in a warehouse.  It is our emergency emergency spare.

Two - many digital consoles employ some form of skeumorphism in their controls, emulating the analog hardware they replace.  When teaching new techs, having the hands on analog gear is helpful.  Also when teaching about signal flow. But most importantly - the young guys I am hiring right now, the 25 and under set - some of them have never touched analog and they struggle to quickly make a show happen.  My theory is they try to do too much with the tools they have (or are lazy and spend lots of valuable setup time dicking with shit they don't need - example: try to use a compressor instead of riding the fader).  I send them out with a small analog rig, a couple compressors, and a couple dual 31 eqs, and make them do small shows on that till they understand that you don't NEED 4 band fully parametric eq on every input channel.  Sure it's handy, but if you can do it well on the analog rig, with low, high, and a sweep able mid, then I have confidence in your ability to do well on digital.

And now I feel and sound old...  Uphill both ways in the snow, you kids get off my lawn, etc.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »

make them do small shows on that till they understand that you don't NEED 4 band fully parametric eq on every input channel.  Sure it's handy, but if you can do it well on the analog rig, with low, high, and a sweep able mid, then I have confidence in your ability to do well on digital.

My thoughts exactly.

And now I feel and sound old...  Uphill both ways in the snow, you kids get off my lawn, etc.

That too!

Steve.

John Chiara

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »

I have at least one upcoming lease setup in a venue big enough to put my 40 ch. analog setup with outboard that I already own. I like the flexibility of different comps and such for different sources and if I don't have to move it.....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.