ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dissapointed with Mackie SRM450V2 and looking to upgrade  (Read 31232 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Dissapointed with Mackie SRM450V2 and looking to upgrade
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »

Corey laid it out pretty well.

What he summed up in option #3 is what you're going for. Clean up the low end so the instruments that need it most can make full use of it.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

nicklang

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »

Huge thanks guys.....deffo going with scenario 3 as that obviously will give me the cleanest sound........

one question though.......

Lets say I send the Vocals, high toms, mid toms, cymbols (occasionally lead guitar) to the main L-R mix and engage the HPF on the mains (tops)

and send

Kick, floor toms to the sub group out and straight to the input on the subwoofers.....

Where would you guys recommend I put bass guitar (I'm guessing in this set up to the main L-R mix????)

or to be really awkward is there a way of sending it to both via Y cable or some other such method....or is this an unnecessary complication???

Cheers so much once again.....you guys are really helpful!!!!

:D :D

Sound messer arounder for 7th Circle!!!
Check us out and give us a like.....
www.7thcircle.co.uk

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »

Lets say I send the Vocals, high toms, mid toms, cymbols (occasionally lead guitar) to the main L-R mix and engage the HPF on the mains (tops)

and send

Kick, floor toms to the sub group out and straight to the input on the subwoofers.....

Where would you guys recommend I put bass guitar (I'm guessing in this set up to the main L-R mix????)

or to be really awkward is there a way of sending it to both via Y cable or some other such method....or is this an unnecessary complication???

You're not quite getting the aux-fed-sub idea.

EVERYTHING goes to the mains via the LR bus.
ONLY signals with relevant content below 100Hz go to the subwoofers via the group or post-fader aux bus.

Edit addition:
Using an aux fed sub is secondary to making sure the crossover is set up properly (or high-pass filters are engaged).  Unless you are having issues with the low end sounding "muddy" then it is likely not worth the trouble to configure the system for aux fed subs.  There is no harm in doing it for the sake of learning how it's done and what affects it has on the sound though. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:18:04 PM by Corey Scogin »

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2014, 05:16:21 PM »

You're not quite getting the aux-fed-sub idea.

EVERYTHING goes to the mains via the LR bus.
ONLY signals with relevant content below 100Hz go to the subwoofers via the group or post-fader aux bus.

+1

Send the bass, kick, and floor tom to a group(SUB on your board). Connect the group output to the the subs AND send the group to the LR mix(L & R buttons above the SUB fader). Again you want EVERYTHING going to the high passed mains; you're not going to break anything. You only want stuff with useful LF content going to the subs.

Steve Garris

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2014, 05:43:57 PM »

I'm going to offer an easier method:

Go out of your boards Left Main out directly to your Mackie subs.
Go out of your boards Right Main out directly to your Yamaha tops.

Now you can use the Pan control on each channel to determine what does not go to the subs, i.e,
All vocals and guitar would be panned hard right.
Bass guitar panned 50/50 or to taste.
Kick drum & Keyboards or any instrument requiring low frequencies would be panned 50/50.

I use this method with my JBL PRX system and it works very well. You Mackie subs have the built in x-over at 125  and are made to handle full range. I would try the Yamaha's HP filter settings, and decide which sounds best over your Mackie subs. Do not use the "D-Contour" setting for live sound!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »

I'm going to offer an easier method:

Go out of your boards Left Main out directly to your Mackie subs.
Go out of your boards Right Main out directly to your Yamaha tops.

Now you can use the Pan control on each channel to determine what does not go to the subs, i.e,
All vocals and guitar would be panned hard right.
Bass guitar panned 50/50 or to taste.
Kick drum & Keyboards or any instrument requiring low frequencies would be panned 50/50.

I use this method with my JBL PRX system and it works very well. You Mackie subs have the built in x-over at 125  and are made to handle full range. I would try the Yamaha's HP filter settings, and decide which sounds best over your Mackie subs. Do not use the "D-Contour" setting for live sound!

Nice solution, wish I'd thought of it.  8)

nicklang

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »

Thanks guys....starting to get an idea.......

is there no issue with signal strength or such by sending different signals left and right pan to different speakers???.....then I guess you're saying daisy chain each subsequent top or sub......

I know I must appear really flipping dumb....but honestly....I have no idea how some of these things work....once we navigate away from "the norm"

Corey mate.......thanks....I really struggle to follow your method mate.....I really appreciate your time and effort :D
www.7thcircle.co.uk

Scott Bolt

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 08:45:44 PM »

Thanks guys....starting to get an idea.......

is there no issue with signal strength or such by sending different signals left and right pan to different speakers???.....then I guess you're saying daisy chain each subsequent top or sub......

I know I must appear really flipping dumb....but honestly....I have no idea how some of these things work....once we navigate away from "the norm"

Corey mate.......thanks....I really struggle to follow your method mate.....I really appreciate your time and effort :D

Nick,

I would seriously try the most simple solution first.

Take the L/R output from your board into the Left and Right sub inputs.

Your Mackie's are equipped with a built in cross-over.  The full range signal can be sent to them, and only 40-120Hz will be amplified by the sub.

Use the HPF out into the DSR's inputs.  I would just run the DSR's in full range.  Despite the fact that the DSR's state that their HPF is set to 125Hz (I like others here thought it was 100, but I just checked the manual).

I am using a PRX618S-XLF which is crossed over at 90Hz which I really like with the DSR's which appear to really thrive on the additional LF output at this frequency; however, you most surely will be running out of bottom long before you run out of tops on your subs.

It is easy to try this, and it is a much easier setup.  Run everything into both subs and tops and let the cross-over in the subs do all the work.  Balance the low to the highs with the input knobs on the subs and tops and always set them there.

I think you will find this is a very good sounding setup.

If I had an external cross-over and the Mackie subs, I would likely pick 90Hz with the DSR's vs 125Hz, but I have a feeling that the difference may not be very big anyway.

nicklang

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »

.....lol.......Arrggghhh......lol.......

After all the different options.....Scott.....I'm right back to the way I've been setting up for the last six months......Main L-R into the subs and pass through using the HPF on the subs......this is what the Mackie manual says to do.....so that's what I did :)
www.7thcircle.co.uk

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »

.....lol.......Arrggghhh......lol.......

After all the different options.....Scott.....I'm right back to the way I've been setting up for the last six months......Main L-R into the subs and pass through using the HPF on the subs......this is what the Mackie manual says to do.....so that's what I did :)

There's nothing wrong with that.  I think you'll be happy with the DSR's if you end up getting them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.