ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dissapointed with Mackie SRM450V2 and looking to upgrade  (Read 31246 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Dissapointed with Mackie SRM450V2 and looking to upgrade
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »

I see from this website UK customers do appear to get the rather generous 7 year warranty! This would imply that used correctly, Yamaha do indeed think it is going to last :)
I once pegged one side gain on accident (it got bumped in transport and I was mixing from the opposite side).

The DSR112 was solid clipped for the entire first set.  Not only did it not fail, it sounded quite good.  You would have to do some pretty dumb things to break these speakers.  The also stay cool under high load.  I can place my hand on the heat sink even if the are pushed hard.

You don't want to run your bass only into your sub.  The DSRs sound fantastic reproducing the >100Hz content.  Much more defined and clear than your sub for these frequencies.

I had wooed with both speakers.  IMO there is little comparison.  The DSR is more articulate, has much more punch, gets louder, and is more reliable.  In other words, I believe the DSR is a full step up in every respect over your 450s.

If you end up getting them, I believe you will agree. 

If you don't for some reason, there will be no problem finding people to buy them from you.  Most people that own them aren't selling them ;)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 09:23:10 AM »

So we agree.  Wanna join Geezer Audio Services with me, Rees, and Leonard? (Larry, Moe, Curley, Shemp)

Ok, I am in. I may be second oldest after Dick :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

nicklang

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »

Cheers guys.....just bought 'em :)
Sound messer arounder for 7th Circle!!!
Check us out and give us a like.....
www.7thcircle.co.uk

Scott Bolt

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »

Cheers guys.....just bought 'em :)

Make sure to make a post when you have some time to work with them a while and let us know how it worked out for you.

nicklang

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »

My suggestion in prolonging the life of your mid-hi cabinets: since you have subs, use a speaker processor/DSP as a crossover so you don't put much of the kick and bass through the SRM450s.  Yes, even if your speakers are powered and have built-in processing.  It will likely make your mids (vocals) sound better in the process.  Try crossing over to the 450s at 80-100hz and see. There are a number of affordable speaker processors from Ashley, dbx, Xilica, etc.  (Do skip the original version of Driverack PA though -- I think it sounds bad.)  The new Driverack PA2 is worth a look, as is a used 480.  I myself use the Driverack 4800 -- very good sounding unit with rock-solid reliability.

I would also aux-feed the subs.  Even a lowly Mackie 12 channel board can do aux-fed sub.  Here's where it would be prudent to get a speaker processor with at least 3 inputs, so you can run aux-fed sub into the processor and properly align it to the tops. 

Even with common 2-in 6-out processors you can still do aux-fed subs -- You can run the aux-fed sub from a mixer straight into the subs.  In a small room, the slight delay from the processing of the tops may not be noticeable at all.

If you don't have budget for a new speaker processor, one of the best kept secrets of the used gear world is the Sabine ADF-4000.  I've seen them go for as little as $100-$200USD.  It will work great as a crossover/processor for your SRM450.  Or, get two -- one for the L/R tops, the other for subs+center fill.  A marvelously clean and good sounding piece that does many other things well (auto EQ and feedback eliminator work very well.)

Cheers,
JR

REALLY interesting....but struggling to follow a lot of what you're saying :D Gonna have to research this :)
www.7thcircle.co.uk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »

Aux-fed subs also keep the vocal mics COMPLETELY out of the subs, something that no "lo cut" or 18dB/oct @ 80 or 100Hz filter on the mixer channel strip can do 100% effectively.  And boy on cheapo mixers those lo cut filters really cause phase shift and muddy up the vocal.  I just leave the lo-cut disengaged because they never make it to the subs with aux-fed subs.

JR

The text in bold is the only thing completely correct in your post..

ALL Infinite Impulse Response filters (which is all of the various EQ and filters in a mixer) will cause phase shift, and the amount of phase shift is determined by the number of "poles" to the filter.  There is no way to change this by simply raising the component budget.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »

Even with common 2-in 6-out processors you can still do aux-fed subs -- You can run the aux-fed sub from a mixer straight into the subs.  In a small room, the slight delay from the processing of the tops may not be noticeable at all.

JR

WRONG.

It's not just about processing delay but also feeding FULL RANGE signals to the sub.  Do not do this.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »

REALLY interesting....but struggling to follow a lot of what you're saying :D Gonna have to research this :)

Read my replies to John's posts.

nicklang

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »

Hey Tim.....REALLY appreciate the input mate.....however I think you've overestimated my ability and understanding of all this........
......try to think of me as the half witted neighbor you never had....lol.....

Seriously I just don't really follow much of what's being suggested.....my experience is very limited....I fell into doing the sound for the band....

what's the best way to set up my system of two DSL112 tops and two Mackie SRM1801 subs????
to get the best sound quality I can.....clarity and volume....also to avoid stressing/overloading the speakers???
www.7thcircle.co.uk

Thomas Le

Dissapointed with Mackie SRM450V2 and looking to upgrade
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »

I think what the rest are trying to say is that feed the subs what needs the LF via aux and feed everything to the DSR tops with the 100hz HPF on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

Dissapointed with Mackie SRM450V2 and looking to upgrade
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.