ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dissapointed with Mackie SRM450V2 and looking to upgrade  (Read 31242 times)

Thomas Le

Re: Dissapointed with Mackie SRM450V2 and looking to upgrade
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »

Since you're running subs, I see no point in getting a 15" cab. The DSR112 will do fine in the appropriate freq. range that satellite tops are supposed to handle, and won't get muddy while you're at it.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »

Since you're running subs, I see no point in getting a 15" cab. The DSR112 will do fine in the appropriate freq. range that satellite tops are supposed to handle, and won't get muddy while you're at it.

This ^.

The ZXA5 is indeed a very nice speaker if you can afford it.

As for the warranty ..... I think that the 7 years is the manufacturers warranty.  I would be surprised if it were different in Europe than here in the states.

From here:  http://usa.yamaha.com/support/warranty/live_sound/images/PAC_LiveSoundProductsSept2012.pdf

I think you will be very pleased with the output of the DSR112's.  They should easily eclipse the ability of your current subs in output.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »

I always start the band dry.....no PA...and bring in the individual instruments.....usually start with the drummer as he's the loudest unmic-ed.......We don't mic the whole kit at every venue obviously.........but sometimes we struggle in a small room.....I guess due to room dynamics rather than "not enough PA"......and sometimes I find the Mackie tops just don't seem to be as clear and as punchy as I would like?????

Ah, it would seem that the drums would be the last thing to add to the PA. Vocals would be first followed by the next thing the audience isn't hearing.

My experience is that the drums, bass and guitars are plenty loud in moderate size rooms. Sometimes I mic the kick, ride and hat only so I can bring them up if needed.
Every vocal mic is really a drum kit mic :-)

Often I put the keys in the PA if he didn't bring an amp.
[true storey - last night the keyboard player had his own amp so loud I could not hear him in the PA. In fact I muted the channel and no one noticed]

For the size gigs you are doing and the gear you have, you are putting too much in your PA. That is why you have trouble and are blowing up gear.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 01:44:12 AM »

Ah, it would seem that the drums would be the last thing to add to the PA. Vocals would be first followed by the next thing the audience isn't hearing.

My experience is that the drums, bass and guitars are plenty loud in moderate size rooms. Sometimes I mic the kick, ride and hat only so I can bring them up if needed.
Every vocal mic is really a drum kit mic :-)

Often I put the keys in the PA if he didn't bring an amp.
[true storey - last night the keyboard player had his own amp so loud I could not hear him in the PA. In fact I muted the channel and no one noticed]

For the size gigs you are doing and the gear you have, you are putting too much in your PA. That is why you have trouble and are blowing up gear.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So we agree.  Wanna join Geezer Audio Services with me, Rees, and Leonard? (Larry, Moe, Curley, Shemp)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 03:53:40 AM »

Whose in charge of the meds? I need someone to remind me to take mine.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 04:15:37 AM »

My suggestion in prolonging the life of your mid-hi cabinets: since you have subs, use a speaker processor/DSP as a crossover so you don't put much of the kick and bass through the SRM450s.  Yes, even if your speakers are powered and have built-in processing.  It will likely make your mids (vocals) sound better in the process.  Try crossing over to the 450s at 80-100hz and see. There are a number of affordable speaker processors from Ashley, dbx, Xilica, etc.  (Do skip the original version of Driverack PA though -- I think it sounds bad.)  The new Driverack PA2 is worth a look, as is a used 480.  I myself use the Driverack 4800 -- very good sounding unit with rock-solid reliability.

I would also aux-feed the subs.  Even a lowly Mackie 12 channel board can do aux-fed sub.  Here's where it would be prudent to get a speaker processor with at least 3 inputs, so you can run aux-fed sub into the processor and properly align it to the tops. 

Even with common 2-in 6-out processors you can still do aux-fed subs -- You can run the aux-fed sub from a mixer straight into the subs.  In a small room, the slight delay from the processing of the tops may not be noticeable at all.

If you don't have budget for a new speaker processor, one of the best kept secrets of the used gear world is the Sabine ADF-4000.  I've seen them go for as little as $100-$200USD.  It will work great as a crossover/processor for your SRM450.  Or, get two -- one for the L/R tops, the other for subs+center fill.  A marvelously clean and good sounding piece that does many other things well (auto EQ and feedback eliminator work very well.)

Cheers,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

nicklang

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 04:59:02 AM »

Doesn't the built in crossover inside trhe Mackie 1801 sub do that by going through the High Pass outputs to the tops???
Sound messer arounder for 7th Circle!!!
Check us out and give us a like.....
www.7thcircle.co.uk

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 05:30:27 AM »

Doesn't the built in crossover inside trhe Mackie 1801 sub do that by going through the High Pass outputs to the tops???

You are correct...that sub does have a high-pass output crossover @ 125Hz.  Hopefully that's what the OP is using, and not the full range output!

I would still do the external speaker processor and aux-fed subs though.  125Hz is a little high for me on an 18" sub.

Thanks,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 05:45:55 AM »

You guys are trying to get professional results from MI (musical instrument) level gear found in strip malls. If you want pro level sounding gear, you need to use pro level gear, there are no short cuts. It cost $. If you dont have a budget then its going to sound like crap.

nicklang

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »

You guys are trying to get professional results from MI (musical instrument) level gear found in strip malls. If you want pro level sounding gear, you need to use pro level gear, there are no short cuts. It cost $. If you dont have a budget then its going to sound like crap.
Well.......not really much of a constructive answer....I asked for possible alternatives to upgrade to........I already said I had a budget......I said £700 per top box....which is about $1200 per speaker......so your saying everything at my level means we'll sound like crap!.......

Thanks so much to the other posters offering to help me better the sound of our band....it's really kind of you to offer constructive and helpful advice.....really kind of you guys :D

A crossover......I'll look into that for sure.....I just assumed that the sub would take care of that.....

Cheers
Sound messer arounder for 7th Circle!!!
Check us out and give us a like.....
www.7thcircle.co.uk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.