ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up a system with Driverack PA +  (Read 23219 times)

Phil Novick

Setting up a system with Driverack PA +
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:53:25 AM »

I have upgraded my system to a Presonus 24.4.2, with a driverack PA+.  I am trying to establish my presets and starting points but I am a little lost.  I tried joining the DBX forum but it merely kicks me out to the start over screen?  Can anyone here help me please?

I have:
2 Yorkville LS1004 subs (dual 18 one on each side) with AP6040 Yorkville power amp powering the subs one to each side of the amp
4 EAW FR129z set up two per side with each side configured with the FR129z's on on top of the other inverted so the horns are together - with a Crest CA6 in bridge mode (1200 Watts) powering each side of the pair of EAW FR129z's in parallel

The speakers are in the presets and I found those but not the amps?  Initial settings for the driverack would be very helpful . . .  Thanks in advance . . .

Yosi Melamed

Re: Setting up a system with Driverack PA +
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:45:52 AM »

The DBX forum is very good, lots of knowledgable people, very quick response times from other users, just try, you'll see what I mean.

I would suggest you try to re-register from a different browser or another computer.
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:18:22 AM »

Just go to the system set up wizard and start from there. You want a 2x4 set up(2 inputs and four outputs I.e a bi-amp setup). If it asks for the top speakers, select your speakers from the list or choose custom if they are not there, if it asks for the low speakers just do the same. If it asks for amps just choose custom or other. Avoid the auto tune feature and feedback suppression setup. Disable all the limiters and subharmonic synthesizers. Connect the hi output to the crest ca amps and the low out on the yorkville amp. Once the program is loaded, start by tweaking the crossover. Low output low pass filter should be around 90hz lr24, hi pass at about 35-40hz Bw 12. The high pass for the tops should be at around 100hz lr24 ( If your speakers were in the drive rack, these will be set up automatically) Now proceed to set the gain structure, by increasing the gain on your mixer to the threshold of clipping, then increase the low amp I till it begins to flicker the clip lights. Then increase the volume on the crest amps until you achieve a balance between the tops and bass. You can now back off a little on the mixer gain. Feel free to tweek the eq to your taste!
That should be a starting point
Conrad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:44:37 PM by Conrad Muzoora »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:36:59 PM »

I have upgraded my system to a Presonus 24.4.2, with a driverack PA+.  I am trying to establish my presets and starting points but I am a little lost.  I tried joining the DBX forum but it merely kicks me out to the start over screen?  Can anyone here help me please?

I have:
2 Yorkville LS1004 subs (dual 18 one on each side) with AP6040 Yorkville power amp powering the subs one to each side of the amp
4 EAW FR129z set up two per side with each side configured with the FR129z's on on top of the other inverted so the horns are together - with a Crest CA6 in bridge mode (1200 Watts) powering each side of the pair of EAW FR129z's in parallel

The speakers are in the presets and I found those but not the amps?  Initial settings for the driverack would be very helpful . . .  Thanks in advance . . .

Hi Phil-

I started a big, long and highly technical reply last night after a gig.  This morning I went to edit it and POOF, my browser ate it.

If you're talking about using the preset information in the unit, just pick amps that have about the same output (400w/8 ohm stereo) and input sensitivity (CA6 is 0.775v for full output, or X68 voltage gain).  You'll have to do your own homework to find them, but I'd bet there is a Crown amp or 2 that is similar.  Don't get hung up over 50w differences, that's less than 1dB.

The other thing is that running the CA6 in bridged mono is that you pick up 6dB of gain by bridging and this must be dealt with or the presets will have the tops louder than the subs.  Bridging effectively makes the input sensitivity about 0.20v for full output.  That needs to be compensated for.  I'd turn down the input level controls on the amps by 6dB (looks like 12 o'clock, or straight up on the knobs) and put some black gaffer tape over the controls.  There are internal jumpers on the input circuit boards to change input sensitivity (Crest calls what you need "Option 2), but that modification requires a trip to Crest-authorized technician.  They are not considered user-serviceable.

If your speakers are not in the wizard list, I'd start with Conrad's suggestions and play it by ear (not a pun).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:39:38 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »

And also take a look at the band pass gain set up in the crossover. You could use these to compensate or reduce gain for either the tops or subs. I mostly leave the tops at 0db and bump up the subs about 4 db and then do the rest on the amplifier nobs. What ever you do don't allow the driverack to clip, either the inputs or outputs. Leave enough headroom on the driverack. It will sound nasty if you clip the driverack compared to clipping the amps.
Conrad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Novick

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful.  I was using a DBX 233XL crossover before getting the driverack and that was easy to set up of course. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 04:43:58 PM »

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful.  I was using a DBX 233XL crossover before getting the driverack and that was easy to set up of course.

Did you find yourself dialing back the EAW drive levels?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »

Dont get hung up on the setup wizard. Since you are just going from an analog crossover to a dsp, start by duplicating your 233xl settings in the driverack crossover section and then tweak from there.

Phil Novick

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »

Dont get hung up on the setup wizard. Since you are just going from an analog crossover to a dsp, start by duplicating your 233xl settings in the driverack crossover section and then tweak from there.

oh that's a good idea, thanks!

Phil Novick

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:21:52 PM »

Did you find yourself dialing back the EAW drive levels?

no I just got the EAWs as well ( I was using Yorkville TM352 for tops before with the DBX233XL)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:21:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.