ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next Step for a Portable Church Setup  (Read 5197 times)

Michael Kim

Next Step for a Portable Church Setup
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »

Hi all,

Just wanted a double check on 1-2 incremental purchases for our portable church.

Currently, we run:

2 EV Sx100+'s powered by a XLI Crown 3500
1 EAW Sb250zr (http://eaw.com/docs/1_Current_Products/SB/Spec_Sheets/SB250zR_SPECS_revA.pdf) powered by a Crown 802D (not in bridge)

We inherited the sub from another site of the church and recently purchased the 3500 to run the main speaker, which freed up the 802D to power the subwoofer.

Next on the list is a crossover/dsp. From previous threads and research, the DBX Driverack 260 seems to be the right place to start, but just want to confirm. Any thoughts on if it is too much/too little?

Also, I know the 802 is a bit underpowered for the subwoofer--I've also heard that the entry level Crown lines are not particularly great for subs either. I doubt we would run much more volume through our subwoofer, but am worried it might now have much headroom to capture when the kick+bass build. Any suggestions on a unit that can power the sub would be welcome (on its own 20amp circuit). I would put the budget for the amp around $1000, with a little wiggle room.

Thanks all!

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: Next Step for a Portable Church Setup
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »

Hi all,

Just wanted a double check on 1-2 incremental purchases for our portable church.

Currently, we run:

1 EAW Sb250zr (http://eaw.com/docs/1_Current_Products/SB/Spec_Sheets/SB250zR_SPECS_revA.pdf) powered by a Crown 802D (not in bridge)

We inherited the sub from another site of the church and recently purchased the 3500 to run the main speaker, which freed up the 802D to power the subwoofer.

Next on the list is a crossover/dsp. From previous threads and research, the DBX Driverack 260 seems to be the right place to start, but just want to confirm. Any thoughts on if it is too much/too little?

Also, I know the 802 is a bit underpowered for the subwoofer--I've also heard that the entry level Crown lines are not particularly great for subs either. I doubt we would run much more volume through our subwoofer, but am worried it might now have much headroom to capture when the kick+bass build. Any suggestions on a unit that can power the sub would be welcome (on its own 20amp circuit). I would put the budget for the amp around $1000, with a little wiggle room.

Thanks all!

this is an excellent amp, just watch yourself or youll let the factory smoke out of the subs,
Yorkville AP4K 2RU AudioPro Stereo Power Amplifier - 1800W per Channel @ 2 or 4 Ohms
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »

Hi all,

Currently, we run:

If it were me I would see if i could get by with the 802D, you will only be adding a few DB with a bigger amp, and you dont have to worry about blowing the speaker. Set up your sub on a subgroup or aux on your console, so only what you want to go into it will and you will maximize your useable output (bass, Kick, CD etc).
Then with the saved money cover upgrade other audio needs, Mic's, IME's etc.

I would look at the Ashly's Protea line of dsp or the EV DC-One i like them a little better than the DBX, and I have heard some good things on the Galaxy DSPOT on a budget but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Ben
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:07:26 PM by Benjamin Gingerich »
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Michael Kim

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »

Thanks for the response. My ears were telling me that the 802D was working fine. I had been running it bridged for a few weeks before I looked closer at the manual.  :-X  Will remedy that as soon as my crossover come in. I already aux the sub, so maybe that's the reason why it has been okay through now.

Can you expand why you like the Ashly/EV more? I'll be breaking down and setting up weekly, so anything you can say about reliability would be appreciated too!

Thanks,
Michael

If it were me I would see if i could get by with the 802D, you will only be adding a few DB with a bigger amp, and you don’t have to worry about blowing it. Set up your sub on a subgroup or aux on your console so only what you want to go into it and you will maximize your useable output (bass, Kick, CD etc). Then with the saved money cover upgrade other audio needs, Mic's, IME's etc.

I would look at the Ashly's Protea line of dsp or the EV DC-One i like them a little better than the DBX, and I have heard some good things on the Galaxy DSPOT on a budget but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Ben

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »

Don't forget about putting your system together with set up and tear down in mind.
Have all your connections in and out of you amp rack on an IO panel so you not digging into the rack every time you set up.
Get some sub snakes to clean up the stage wiring.
I your band uses the same set up evey time you can make some custom cable looms/snakes to drop at needed locations.
Also don't forget about AC power distribution to the racks and for stage power, not orange extension cords from the hardware store.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »

Don't forget about putting your system together with set up and tear down in mind.
Have all your connections in and out of you amp rack on an IO panel so you not digging into the rack every time you set up.
Get some sub snakes to clean up the stage wiring.
I your band uses the same set up evey time you can make some custom cable looms/snakes to drop at needed locations.
Also don't forget about AC power distribution to the racks and for stage power, not orange extension cords from the hardware store.
We use the same driverack its, excellent once its set up correctly your
Subs will be protected .

The problem with. "Just enough", the amps at its max
Means close to distortion .the yorkville is superior in damping
And quality

Adequate amplifier Headroom and amping is important to clarity and punch
You just have to set it up correctly.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:28:50 PM by lindsay Dean »

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »

We use the same driverack its, excellent once its set up correctly your
Subs will be protected .

The problem with. "Just enough", the amps at its max
Means close to distortion .the yorkville is superior in damping
And quality

Adequate amplifier Headroom and amping is important to clarity and punch
You just have to set it up correctly.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.