ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Funktion One Vero (was "But it's not a line array.....")  (Read 50481 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: KF860
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »

It was built to counter the lease only business plan of L-Acoustic, largely at the request of a couple of sound cos.

I don't recall any lease-only arrangement. There was, however a significant minimum buy-in, and amplification and crossovers had to be up to snuff. Jeff Cox did personal evaluations of company facilities to ensure that the gear didn't end up in the hands of any knucklehead wannabe with deep pockets and a dream.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 12:26:08 PM »

I don't recall any lease-only arrangement. There was, however a significant minimum buy-in, and amplification and crossovers had to be up to snuff. Jeff Cox did personal evaluations of company facilities to ensure that the gear didn't end up in the hands of any knucklehead wannabe with deep pockets and a dream.

Jeff got really cranky with me when I told him we wanted to use Peavey CS-series amps if we spent $1m+ on a PA.  He and Paul Bauman had the unenviable task of convincing USA system owners that they couldn't futz with the processing or put the rig up willy-nilly.

Frankly it took awhile for the black box processing and level of manufacturer control to show its value to me.  It came with the realization that we, the folks who wrote the cheque, were not the actual market for this product or way of doing business.

The real market was the 400-500 mixerpersons or artist TDs (maybe 1000, IDK) world-wide who had the clout to specify the PA for arena and stadium one-offs (as well as tours).  What l'Acoustic was delivering was uniformity and consistency, and they did that with very limited approval of support equipment, required training, and minimum purchase requirements that insured the vendor would have Enough Rig for the Gig® (and a inter-provider rental network for over hire).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

paul bell

Re: Funktion One Vero (was "But it's not a line array.....")
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 02:39:05 PM »

So, about this Function One "Line Array", I understand they were used in the Carl Cox tent at Ultra this year.

Anybody seen them, maybe took some pics?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »

You may not remember, but originally you could not purchase V-DOSC, only lease. It was the reaction of a few large sound companies to this policy that led to the KF-860, and later to the ability to purchase V-DOSC.

Mac

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 11:13:39 AM »

or put the rig up willy-nilly.

Killer side fill, man!

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
Re: But it's not a line array.....
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »

Those springback handles will rattle someday, probably sooner than later.

It's like looking a 1990's F1 car:  impressive in the flesh, great for its day, but alot has changed performance-wise since.

Tony is no doubt charging premium cash for rather pedestrian tech. A cult-ish thing...like BOSE?!

I guess you know what is inside your Christmas presents too just by looking at the wrapper?

Handles - not my first choice but then again not inherently bad - also interferes less with horn flares on the inside I suspect.

Rigging system looks usable and simple.

This is probably also the prototype as it certainly has not hit market yet - which means cosmetics are also likely to change (possibly including handles)

Dispersion is very unlikely to be 140 degrees (maybe 90 - 100 but that is just an educated guess on my part)

I did listen to a small amount of this system in its early development days. It sounded superb.

Perhaps the guys who just used it for Deadmaus would care to comment - or perhaps not. Such things are best kept close to the chest until a product is 100% ready for launch.

The smart will reserve judgement on it (especially on how it sounds) until they have actually seen it and tried it.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »

Those springback handles will rattle someday, probably sooner than later.

One of the venues I work at has Martin a W8-series PA, probably 20 years old and still going strong.  Can't say I have noticed any rattles from the handles!

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »

One of the venues I work at has Martin a W8-series PA, probably 20 years old and still going strong.  Can't say I have noticed any rattles from the handles!

Not hard to lift around either as I recall - a friend still has some W8c
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »

If you had ever had to rig them you wouldn't have.

Mac

Bolts and wrenches/sockets, right?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »

Bolts and wrenches/sockets, right?

That, and a hand full of "fiddly bits" and a special dolly to handle the speakers while building the hang.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:47:19 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.