ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Funktion One Vero (was "But it's not a line array.....")  (Read 50503 times)

paul bell

Re: But it's not a line array.....
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »

About that F1 Vero system, the bottom of this page says "this is a point source design"

http://jayrockit.tumblr.com/post/72518011376/new-funktion-one-vero-exclusive-touring-rig

And here's some pictures of the system very properly deployed:

http://imgur.com/a/aFVwF

Peter Morris

Re: But it's not a line array.....
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »

About that F1 Vero system, the bottom of this page says "this is a point source design"

http://jayrockit.tumblr.com/post/72518011376/new-funktion-one-vero-exclusive-touring-rig

And here's some pictures of the system very properly deployed:

http://imgur.com/a/aFVwF

I suspect he has packaged something like this with a far, mid and near field section into a package that looks like a line array. He has probably tried to combine the best properties of a line array and point source. It will be interesting to see when they reveal the details …

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
Re: Funktion One Vero (was "But it's not a line array.....")
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 11:31:27 PM »

The scaled horn system was done 15 years ago: KF760.

When you all say "scaled horn", what exactly are you referring to? Is the concept similar to what Danley calls the "shaded" amplitude horn? From EAW's KF760 product information it appears to be a similar concept.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 12:04:13 AM »

When you all say "scaled horn", what exactly are you referring to? Is the concept similar to what Danley calls the "shaded" amplitude horn? From EAW's KF760 product information it appears to be a similar concept.

What I meant was KF760 uses horns for all pass bands.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »

I was thinking along the lines of the much-unloved EAW KF860 specifically.

I was shop manager for a V-DOSC early adopter that was previously buying lots of EAW. (Cox Audio era L'Acoustics). Someone from EAW contacted me and asked if (for a future unnamed favor) they could borrow a V-DOSC or 2. (NO!) They were quite frustrated and clueless regarding the principal, even though the concept was long ago established and the L'Acoustics patent was published.

To give props where they are due: Brock Adamson had a patent already on file that was so similar in concept that IMO L'Acoustics should never have been granted theirs. But L'Acoustics was granted the patent, and they ran with it, and the rest is history. Their products are routinely excellent.

PS- Upon first delivery I dismantled the DOSC device and marveled at its wise simplicity ...and again wondered how it had patent protection as the design screamed of prior art.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:54:37 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »

I was thinking along the lines of the much-unloved EAW KF860 specifically.

I was shop manager for a V-DOSC early adopter that was previously buying lots of EAW. (Cox Audio era L'Acoustics). Someone from EAW contacted me and asked if (for a future unnamed favor) they could borrow a V-DOSC or 2. (NO!) They were quite frustrated and clueless regarding the principal, even though the concept was long ago established and the L'Acoustics patent was published.

To give props where they are due: Brock Adamson had a patent already on file that was so similar in concept that IMO L'Acoustics should never have been granted theirs. But L'Acoustics was granted the patent, and they ran with it, and the rest is history. Their products are routinely excellent.

PS- Upon first delivery I dismantled the DOSC device and marveled at its wise simplicity ...and again wondered how it had patent protection as the design screamed of prior art.

KF860 - totally forgot about that one. 

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »

KF860 - totally forgot about that one.

If you had ever had to rig them you wouldn't have.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »

If you had ever had to rig them you wouldn't have.

Mac
360lbs per box, maximum 10 boxes in a hang, pass band averaged long term output of 138dB.  VerTec 4889 has < half the weight, the same or more output, and you can hang 20 of them in a column.

The KF860 deserves its obscurity.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
KF860
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »

360lbs per box, maximum 10 boxes in a hang, pass band averaged long term output of 138dB.  VerTec 4889 has < half the weight, the same or more output, and you can hang 20 of them in a column.

The KF860 deserves its obscurity.

Without it it may have taken much longer to have wide availability of V-DOSC however. It was built to counter the lease only business plan of L-Acoustic, largely at the request of a couple of sound cos.

KF860 was the first system we mounted on field level carts for PA at SuperBowl, the carts (or their descendants) are still used today.

Mac

Peter Morris

Re: Funktion One Vero (was &quot;But it's not a line array.....&quot;)
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »

?

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Funktion One Vero (was &quot;But it's not a line array.....&quot;)
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.