ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Funktion One Vero (was "But it's not a line array.....")  (Read 50480 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: Funktion One Vero (was "But it's not a line array.....")
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2014, 07:45:27 AM »

So, about this Function One "Line Array"

Closely coupled point source horn and direct radiator systems have plenty of known response aberrations, some of which can be mitigated by DSP (see Gunness Focusing). Other limitations are intrinsic to the design and challenging ($!) to address - especially when a true line array is part of the solution.  Hence a fair amount of cynicism regarding the (unheard) performance of Tony Andrew's VERO.

The playback world (i.e. DJ) can play somewhat looser with the "live" sound protocols, because a stage full of open mics isn't part of that stew.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:56:42 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Josh Hana

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:34 AM »

Vero was up at the Carl Cox stage at Ultra in Miami this past weekend. SD8 and Pro2 at FOH. Everything sounded good from FOH, I didn't get a chance to wade through the crowd.

The main stage was unbelievable. 18 a side J12s, 40+ PER SIDE J subs, and somewhere around 20 J INFRA subs. They were pushing around 110A and 145+ C weighted, and that was still in the middle of the afternoon.

I handled a small stage in the corner, which happened to be the only one on the front side of the main stage. Kudo+SB28 rig, held up pretty nicely.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »

We probably need a redefinition of "live" sound. I am sure that Carl Cox was living and breathing and occasionally speaking into a mic. I am sure that the experience was VG.

For most us on the LAB "live sound" means dealing with the full-monty of multiple live performers with their individual instruments performing realtime in the same space as the audience. It may be my own unique opinion, but this kind of "open loop" tends to be a greater challenge for the gear and particularly the operators..

I am old enough to remember when the expression "Live DJ" was an oxymoron.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »

We probably need a redefinition of "live" sound. I am sure that Carl Cox was living and breathing and occasionally speaking into a mic. I am sure that the experience was VG.

For most us on the LAB "live sound" means dealing with the full-monty of multiple live performers with their individual instruments performing realtime in the same space as the audience. It may be my own unique opinion, but this kind of "open loop" tends to be a greater challenge for the gear and particularly the operators..

I am old enough to remember when the expression "Live DJ" was an oxymoron.
The FOH guys I worked with this last week spent a lot of time surfing the internet-looking at photo albums and generally "walking around" and chit chatting during their sets.

They pretty much set some levels and they are done.

Not quite the same thing as mixing a band that is constantly moving and changing things-patches-dealing with multiple monitor mixes and so forth.

There are some unusual challenging things that happen to the gear however.

DO NOT do one of these gigs without properly set limiters!!!!!!!  1/2 continuous is a good starting place.  Not where you would start with a live band----------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

I'd love to be able to shadow someone at an event like this. I would be completely out of my element but I'm as much a visual learner as I am kinetic. I'm sure there are about 50,000 reasons why it wouldn't happen (insurance liability being roughly 49,000 of them) but a guy can dream, can't he?
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Josh Hana

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »

The FOH guys I worked with this last week spent a lot of time surfing the internet-looking at photo albums and generally "walking around" and chit chatting during their sets.

They pretty much set some levels and they are done.

Not quite the same thing as mixing a band that is constantly moving and changing things-patches-dealing with multiple monitor mixes and so forth.

There are some unusual challenging things that happen to the gear however.

DO NOT do one of these gigs without properly set limiters!!!!!!!  1/2 continuous is a good starting place.  Not where you would start with a live band----------

The last photo I posted was my FOH. Doors were open from 4p-12a Friday, 12p to 12a Saturday, and 12p to 11p Sunday. Our stage was 100% continuous, most DJs transitioned to the same mixer so there was literally no changeover at all. I set peak hold on the meters, locked the console and took turns with the LD walking around the park, taking pictures and seeing some old friends at other stages. When at my stage, I was editing photos I just took, surfing on my phone, and trying to keep from falling asleep.

It was crucial for us to have our system controller monitoring at FOH (I have it running pretty much any show anyways), to watch system limiting and handling different zoning and shading (we were asked to keep the top boxes in the array shaded during the day, and I added a bit of a low shelf EQ around 35hz to give me a little bit of headroom when it came to low end for the headliners.

Main stage was the same engineer for the entirety of the festival. I was lucky enough to be doing another conference, so I only came in for Sunday.

CurtisFlatt

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »

If you had ever had to rig them you wouldn't have.

Mac

on top of a Brown United roof, with 1/2" clearance in the brackets, from a crane. Pucks and pins, my how I hated that. I think EAW engineering may still have the bent puck (not by me) from one of those events. The crane won, the puck bent, the end of the box violently came off. I wanted to hang it as a trophy in the shop...no such luck.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 02:00:55 AM »

on top of a Brown United roof, with 1/2" clearance in the brackets, from a crane. Pucks and pins, my how I hated that. I think EAW engineering may still have the bent puck (not by me) from one of those events. The crane won, the puck bent, the end of the box violently came off. I wanted to hang it as a trophy in the shop...no such luck.

Didn't Spectrum still have them on Promise Keepers on the Washington Mall? I know there were KF900s and MSL-6s.

Mac

CurtisFlatt

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »

Didn't Spectrum still have them on Promise Keepers on the Washington Mall? I know there were KF900s and MSL-6s.

Mac

If memory serves me right, they were on the single Brown United poles in between the screen "stages". They moved on to Australia about a year later for the Olympic Ceremonies.

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »

If memory serves me right, they were on the single Brown United poles in between the screen "stages". They moved on to Australia about a year later for the Olympic Ceremonies.

Those boxes were up for sale cheap for quite a while over here. I don't know if they ever sold or not. I was in the Norwest warehouse maybe 3 years ago and they were still piled in the corner collecting dust.
Nowadays I can't really think of anything much they would be useful for. An install in a large church with little budget maybe? Or, perhaps send them out with young crews who need to earn their stripes ;) I remember stacking MT4's and I'm quite happy that we have progressed to lighter boxes with the march of technology!
Darren

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.