ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assistive Listening Systems  (Read 2859 times)

Bill Kessinger

Assistive Listening Systems
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:57:17 PM »

Hi everyone-

I'm looking into upgrading my PAC's assistive listening system.  We have 3 venues that require assistive listening devices (2000 seat concert hall, upstairs lobby, downstairs lobby).  Both lobby's often serve as performance areas for things such as recitals, receptions, etc.  Each space has a dedicated, installed sound system.

What I would like is for a patron to walk into our PAC, pick up a receiver and have the ability to switch channels on their receiver as needed for the space they are in.

What I'm not up to speed on are the products out there to serve this type of need.  Is it just a matter of having a transmitter in each space, along with a multi channel receiver?  Or is the solution something else?

Any and all input is appreciated. 

Thanks,
Bill     

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Assistive Listening Systems
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »

What I'm not up to speed on are the products out there to serve this type of need.  Is it just a matter of having a transmitter in each space, along with a multi channel receiver?  Or is the solution something else?
You've got the general concept, a transmitter (or emitter(s) for IR) in each space operating on different frequencies with multi-channel receivers, something like this, http://www.listentech.com/shop/product/advanced-installed-rf-system-72-and-216-mhz/.

Listen Technologies that I linked is one manufacturer with whom most seem to have had positive experiences.  Williams Sound, Telex, Sennheiser (for IR) and Gentner are some of the other ALS manufacturers you might want to consider.

You might want to note that the latest ADA allows the number of ALS receivers required to be provided for ADA compliance to often be based on the overall building or even campus numbers rather than for each individual space.  Since they also now define the number of receivers required on a sliding scale that may help (see Section 219.3 in http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/2010ADAstandards.htm).

One other detail if this is being done for ADA compliance is that the ADA reference above also defines a minimum number of receivers to be hearing aid compatible where RF or IR systems are used.  That is usually accomplished with a T-coil compatible neckloop like these, http://www.listentech.com/shop/product/neck-loop/, that can be used with any of the receivers.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Assistive Listening Systems
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 26 queries.