ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running Live Sound Problem  (Read 7022 times)

Ryan Marks

Running Live Sound Problem
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »

When running live sound for many groups at one sing.  They use laptops for there music and when they plug in and unplug it makes a loud pop.  Is there anything that I can plug in to the cord that they plug into the laptops  that would cancel that pop. I try too mute that channel but sometimes they unplug it before I get muted.   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:29:18 PM by Ryan Marks »

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Running Live Sound Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »

Peavey USB-DI. Make them use that and avoid using the headphone output altogether.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:18 PM »

I don't think there is a technical solution, what we have here is a failure to communicate ;) You're gonna  have to mute that channel before they unplug from it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:06:14 PM by Chuck Simon »

Ryan Marks

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »

Peavey USB-DI. Make them use that and avoid using the headphone output altogether.
does it take a different program to use the UBS that would not be on the average laptop...and some uses I-pods

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

Whatever sound card they use or whatever the source, you must mute the channel before they unplug. You know, soundman stuff!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:44:27 PM »

When running live sound for many groups at one sing.  They use laptops for there music and when they plug in and unplug it makes a loud pop.  Is there anything that I can plug in to the cord that they plug into the laptops  that would cancel that pop. I try too mute that channel but sometimes they unplug it before I get muted.

You need to tell them to NOT do that.  End of story.

And it's YOUR job to mute the channels first.

This is a human problem, not an equipment issue.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »

I would imagine there is always time to mute the channels before the laptop is plugged in, or before the laptop is unplugged. I agree with Tim. You need to be more aware of what's going on, and you need to set some rules before the system is even powered on.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »

This is often a problem with the... cultural groups we work with. We have a very large population of middle eastern and Indian, Pakistani, etc groups we work with. 30% or more of my shows at the venue i run are in a language I don't understand.  You can say don't unplug the laptop 10,000 times, it doesn't matter...  It's a cultural thing, and I mean this in as non-offensive a way as possible.  What might be interpreted as chaos to you and me is normal collaboration and negotiation to some of these groups.  And that's ok.  I can't require people to do things my way, and they can't make me do it their way, we have to meet in the middle.

Strategies we have used,

Laptops can only be plugged in next to the sound board so we can see the connection being made.

Only one laptop can be used and we sit someone next to it with the operator

All music must be emailed or turned in on flash drive 7 days in advance. We put all files in qlab on out computer and charge the client a couple hours for our time. This works best if the tracks have English file names

I have received entire show orders written in Tamil before... It's just the way it goes.

I do not allow people to just bring and plug stuff in.  Sound checks are required.  I have a dual mission, serve the client and protect our equipment for future clients.  It's a tough line to walk sometimes but that's life.

Rules and policy help, but ultimately staffing and talking make things work. 

Frances Fisher

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »

a di box it wont solve the issue but it will make life easier
i take life with a grain of salt
and a shot of tequila

Rob Gow

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:10 PM »

Talk to them beforehand, designate 1 person as the unplugger, be sure to make eye contact and give him the thumbs up when it's ok to unplug.

Guy Graham

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »

From my experience volunteering with local authority and charitable organisations, I sympathise. Due to the nature of these projects as intended to benefit underprivilaged and sometimes challenging types of people, it is not acceptable to speak to service users as you might in a commercial environment.

Whilst keeping the equipment in decent condition is a concern of those in charge in the places I volunteer, any negative or critical language used towards clients who do not respect the equipment at their disposal is usually challenged, hence it can be very difficult to ensure kit is used correctly and in such a way that it will continue to function and consequently be available for their use in the future.

Whilst it is obviously possible to constantly positively reinforce the message regarding proper use of equipment, it is not always 100% effective. Hence all the projects I have volunteered at have assets whose functionality has been compromised; it still frustrates me - but I understand the rules. I would say that I have learned a lot about framing communications correctly and tailoring my language and tone to the recipient, but have learned regardless of how you express the message there are still some people either incapable or unwilling to properly consider the greater good of everyone.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »

Talk to them beforehand, designate 1 person as the unplugger, be sure to make eye contact and give him the thumbs up when it's ok to unplug.

This.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Edgar Hernandez

• It’s all about the experience...
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »

I would use this cable
http://www.rivercable.com/apx-guitar.asp
with adapters

Of course; after nothing else above worked

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »

If they are capable of operating a switch, you could try one or two of these, with DI box(es) of course.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MSW20?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&zmap=MSW20&zmac

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »

Im starting to think Radial needs to make a di with a big mute button on it. Kinda like a mute pedal, di combo.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »

Im starting to think Radial needs to make a di with a big mute button on it. Kinda like a mute pedal, di combo.

I like the idea, but in this case if someone will just jerk the 3.5mm connector out of a headphone jack, they'll completely miss the mute button, too.

I still submit this is at least a partial failure of the console operator.  Last song per singer, cue the lappy up in the cans, and as soon as the music fades, pull down the fader.

If that can't work, post an assistant to do it for the "talent".

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 09:16:41 AM »

I like the idea, but in this case if someone will just jerk the 3.5mm connector out of a headphone jack, they'll completely miss the mute button, too.

I still submit this is at least a partial failure of the console operator.  Last song per singer, cue the lappy up in the cans, and as soon as the music fades, pull down the fader.

If that can't work, post an assistant to do it for the "talent".

Yes - this is a personnel problem.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »

You need to tell them to NOT do that.  End of story.

And it's YOUR job to mute the channels first.

This is a human problem, not an equipment issue.

+1.   I'd love to have a team of robots to unload my truck.     Notwithstanding the many benefits of current technology,  there is not going to be a new gadget to do everything you are supposed to be doing yourself.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

David Lovrien

• Dallas, TX
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »

I would use this cable
http://www.rivercable.com/apx-guitar.asp
with adapters
Of course; after nothing else above worked
Very cool idea.  No need to pay $50 for it though... B&H has just the Neutrik SilentPLUG adapter for under $9...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=900357&gclid=CJH41LnOvb0CFfFFMgod7wcACQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

James A. Griffin

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:36:20 PM »

Very cool idea.  No need to pay $50 for it though... B&H has just the Neutrik SilentPLUG adapter for under $9...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=900357&gclid=CJH41LnOvb0CFfFFMgod7wcACQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Neither that cable nor the one mentioned by Edgar solve the problem.  Those are 1/4" TS.  He needs a 1/8" TRS coming out of the laptop.     
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:36:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.