ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Powered Speakers for 200 Person Auditorium  (Read 9997 times)

Anthony Mancini

Best Powered Speakers for 200 Person Auditorium
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:06:46 AM »

Hello,

I work in a "Rock Band" program where we are teaching students in an elementary school program how to play together in a band.  We have a performance in July in a 200 person school auditorium.  I am going to be recording our performance through a ProSonus 16.4.2 digital mixer with separate tracks for each of our musicians and vocalists.  We have a drum kit (will be mic'd for kick and snare), a few keyboards, two guitars, a bass, and several vocalists.  I want to have a really good live sound as well and I'm looking for a nice set of powered speakers to run the FOH sound as well as the stage monitors.  I'm more concerned about the FOH speakers at the moment because those may be coming out of my pocket and I want to get a good pair of speakers.  At the moment there are a pair of JBL EON G2's with gig bags for $750 on Craigslist in my area and they seem like the best deal around.  I'd like to have a good bass response and I plan on using a pink noise generator to eq my speakers for the room.  Are there any other suggestions for the best deal on a pair of FOH speakers for an auditorium with 200 people?  We will be playing pop songs - not really rock songs, but I want some nice clarity among the instruments and I plan on panning instruments to their respective sides of the stage.  Will the G2's be a good fit for this application?  I heard that they're noisy when turned up past 75%, but I don't know how loud I would have to turn them up for our show.  Any advice?  Thank you for your time.  Have a great day.

Anthony

Thomas Le

Re: Best Powered Speakers for 200 Person Auditorium
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »

Add your last name to the display name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:16:44 AM »

The Best thing I can say about Eons is that sound comes out and they are very light in weight.

When listening to a band play through them after listening to a band play through a quality system is akin to watching a movie through waxed paper.

QSC has proven to me that they get the job done reliably for years. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »

Eons......Urghhh......they are so harsh sounding. As Tim said, after listening to good quality speakers, the Eons sound like poop. I used them as stage monitors for a while because they are a great monitor angle but you will not be happy with them for FOH.

I like QSC K series, KW series and JBL PRX series too. EV has a new range out ETX- haven't heard them but I don't doubt they will compete well.
There are better, more expensive, heavier options but these brands will be easy to find in the big box stores and certainly kick some butt for the money.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »

Are all those instruments going to be direct into the board or through on stage amplifiers?

Will the performers have floor monitors or be on in-ears?

Is renting speakers an option for you?

The reason I say this is because it doesn't sound like you realize just how loud this group is gonna be if they all have monitors or instrument amps blasting away, in that situation just getting the vocals over top of it is going to be a challenge that is well beyond what a pair of EON15's can handle. And if this is a 1 time or very infrequent event it makes sense to rent a proper PA system than buy whatever crap shows up on the local classifieds.
And as far as recording the event, unless you can reduce stage volume to virtually zero(electronic drums, in-ear monitors, all instruments DI) your board recording is going to be mostly vocals so a better idea would be to setup several room mics to get a mix of everything combined.

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »

Add the Yamaha DSR series into consideration, any of the above mentioned easily trump the EON's, albeit with more money.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:02:36 PM »

Add the Yamaha DSR series into consideration, any of the above mentioned easily trump the EON's, albeit with more money.

+1 .... Forgot about the DSR's
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »

You have a good mixer. What speakers do you have now?

Where are you? What is your budget?

Good speakers are going to cost (if new) $1000 or more. Renting really good speakers might only cost you a couple of hundred or less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »

Events like these are why sound companies exist.  Contact a reputable sound company and hire them to do the event.  Mix if you want, but buying speakers for one event or one annual event isn't the best use of your resources.

I do two shows a year for a local high school and have 8-10 bands each performing 2-3 songs.  It's not easy.  We do a full run through and I create a snapshot for each act.  I have to make monitor decisions for them, as most have never used monitors before.  It's not for the inexperienced engineer.  I use Fulcrum Acoustics FA12 and FA28 for mains and monitors, which may be overkill, but it takes worrying about the speaker performance off the table.  I also use 6 Heil PR35's across the front for vocals, which also make the job that much easier.

Where are you located?  I bet we can hook you up with a sound company that can help.

In case you still really want to buy speakers, since you said "best" I would say Meyer UPA / UPJ, Fulcrum FA28AC / FA12AC, L'acoustics 112P / 108P.  Those are the best that I have worked with.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Jon C Thomas

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »

Hello,

I work in a "Rock Band" program where we are teaching students in an elementary school program how to play together in a band.  We have a performance in July in a 200 person school auditorium.  I am going to be recording our performance through a ProSonus 16.4.2 digital mixer with separate tracks for each of our musicians and vocalists.  We have a drum kit (will be mic'd for kick and snare), a few keyboards, two guitars, a bass, and several vocalists.  I want to have a really good live sound as well and I'm looking for a nice set of powered speakers to run the FOH sound as well as the stage monitors.  I'm more concerned about the FOH speakers at the moment because those may be coming out of my pocket and I want to get a good pair of speakers.  At the moment there are a pair of JBL EON G2's with gig bags for $750 on Craigslist in my area and they seem like the best deal around.  I'd like to have a good bass response and I plan on using a pink noise generator to eq my speakers for the room.  Are there any other suggestions for the best deal on a pair of FOH speakers for an auditorium with 200 people?  We will be playing pop songs - not really rock songs, but I want some nice clarity among the instruments and I plan on panning instruments to their respective sides of the stage.  Will the G2's be a good fit for this application?  I heard that they're noisy when turned up past 75%, but I don't know how loud I would have to turn them up for our show.  Any advice?  Thank you for your time.  Have a great day.

Anthony
The EV ZLX is a better sounding box than the Eons and would probably be a enough rig for general Pop music, (EMD or Death metal/doom rock will need much more output).

EQ the system so vocals can project over the backline and not feedback, this is not a studio.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.