ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear speaker in reverbrant room  (Read 9222 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Rear speaker in reverbrant room
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »

Great idea, I'l surely find some plugin in my X32 for using this...

Can't be done with just the usual Cat5.  Maybe Cat5K...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ADSfa sdf asdfa sd

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »

In addition to Brad's great information, time alignment - especially if you're trying to do some kind of active cancelling of reverb noise, ranges from very difficult to impossible.  You may be able to fix the problem for one seat in the house, but that will likely not improve the situation anywhere else and/or make it worse.

Better to treat the root of the issue - sound treatment, reduce stage volume, etc.

Thanks Tom & Brad! I was just wondering if this is possible, now i know I should focus more on absorbers rather than playing with impossible...

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »

As Brad said, reverberation is a factor of the room.

What you can do by using remote speakers is to change the ratio of direct sound to reverberant sound by putting them closer into the direct field of a speaker.  So the idea is to not increase the overall level of sound in the room but to get everyone close to a speaker.  Easier said than done.

If everyone wore headphones there would be no reverb, right.  So if everyone sits within ten feet of a speaker (depends on the room of course) then they will be hearing more direct sound and less reverb.  Now the problem is you have to offset time to adjust for the difference in arrival time because of the different distances and then add in the Hass effect.  Depending on a number of things this could get you moving in a better direction ... at least for more listeners.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 01:37:41 AM »

Hi, is there anybody who has experience with using rear speakers (delayed & flipped phase) to mitigate reverbs in small hall (13x23meters)? Does it make any sense? Where should be those speakers located? Corners/center?

Btw, in my installation we can't use mounting brackets and hang tilted front speakers from the truss.. So I suppose the best solution is putting them on stands close to the wall on both sides of the stage.

Can you tell us what speakers were installed?  Maybe the reverb issue is compounded by speakers that do not have good pattern control or directivity, or just wrong type of speakers for the venue. 

Are you (aggressively) gating the mics? This can help tremendously in an acoustically-challenged room.

-JR

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 04:31:38 AM »

Are you (aggressively) gating the mics? This can help tremendously in an acoustically-challenged room.

-JR

No.  In addition, hard gating will be audible and may well introduce other problems.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 03:12:49 AM »

No.  In addition, hard gating will be audible and may well introduce other problems.

Life is full of compromises....sometimes it is necessary to gate aggressively.  Audible?  Perhaps, but we're not talking as bad as compression and pumping.  Not sure what other problems you mean though.  Speech has short decay.  You can set the release time to be fairly fast so as to shut the vocal mics as soon as possible.  This helps tremendously in a reverberant space.   We are only talking about vocals and speech here, am I correct?

JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »

Life is full of compromises....sometimes it is necessary to gate aggressively.  Audible?  Perhaps, but we're not talking as bad as compression and pumping.  Not sure what other problems you mean though.  Speech has short decay.  You can set the release time to be fairly fast so as to shut the vocal mics as soon as possible.  This helps tremendously in a reverberant space.   We are only talking about vocals and speech here, am I correct?

JR
Part of the problem with hard gating a vocal mic is the sound it makes.  When the mic is open you hear not only the person speaking-but also the room/PA getting back into the mic.

When it shuts off hard-that sound is different.  I have had a number of "lay people" complain about this "odd sound" when I tried to do it year ago in an automix situation.

And the other problem is where to do set the threshold?  If you set it to keep all the sound except a loud speaker out, then when somebody who is softer spoken will not trigger it and it gets real choppy sounding and WORSE than not using a gate.

If you set the threshold real low for quiet speaker-then any sound (person coughing-door closing-HVAC coming on etc) will trigger the mic open and the "sound" will constantly be changing in the sound system-which can get quite annoying.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »

Part of the problem with hard gating a vocal mic is the sound it makes.  When the mic is open you hear not only the person speaking-but also the room/PA getting back into the mic.

When it shuts off hard-that sound is different.  I have had a number of "lay people" complain about this "odd sound" when I tried to do it year ago in an automix situation.

And the other problem is where to do set the threshold?  If you set it to keep all the sound except a loud speaker out, then when somebody who is softer spoken will not trigger it and it gets real choppy sounding and WORSE than not using a gate.

If you set the threshold real low for quiet speaker-then any sound (person coughing-door closing-HVAC coming on etc) will trigger the mic open and the "sound" will constantly be changing in the sound system-which can get quite annoying.
Part of the magic with automatic mixing that uses the "Dugan" algorithm, even as the gain from individual microphones gets manipulated up and down, the background noise remains steady due to NOM=1.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »

JR

See Ivans excellent reply.

Downward expansion or a decent auto-mixer will work as will manually riding faders.   Hard gating will sound bad and will mark you as an amateur no matter how long you've been "in the biz".

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »

Hi, is there anybody who has experience with using rear speakers (delayed & flipped phase) to mitigate reverbs in small hall (13x23meters)? Does it make any sense? Where should be those speakers located? Corners/center?

Btw, in my installation we can't use mounting brackets and hang tilted front speakers from the truss.. So I suppose the best solution is putting them on stands close to the wall on both sides of the stage.

Jenda, To deal with highly reverberant rooms first you tilt the main speaker down so the HF energy goes into the audience and not the back wall, ceiling etc.   This is pretty magical in itself. if you haven tried it you will be surprised at its effectiveness. 

The nest step is to set up a delay speaker(s). Typically they will be placed halfway to the back wall  and aimed roughly in the same direction as the main speakers. The delay is  88 milliseconds per 100ft. Often a digital delay allow you to select in feet, meters, or time which makes it pretty easy to set up.

Setting the delay for slightly longer then the actual distance gives the effect that the sound is coming from the main stage area rather then the delays.

The advantage here is main volume can be lower, speaker are not aimed at walls, reverb is less,  feedback issues from mains is less.

The disadvantage is if the talent walks into the delay field he hears the delay which may disconcert him/her and make it difficult to sing on pitch.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.