ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital vs. Analogue. Why the contempt?  (Read 27343 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Digital vs. Analogue
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 09:09:07 PM »

I understand your situation.   But taking a broader view,  even some corporate gigs are in rooms with challenges. Never hurts to have graphics available on mains, monitors (if any).. .. or some other random gadget that is in the dig mixer.   Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Amen. I do almost exclusively corporate gigs, and I wouldn't do a show on an analog console anymore. No post fader inserts for an automixer, no scene recall to eq for before and after coffee presenters, no input delay to make video playback be in sync, etc…

I started with Shure VocalMaster and moved on up through Yamaha PM180, PM430, PM1000, and we had PM3000 #003. I was very used to the analog workflow, but when the PM-1D and DM2000 came along in 2000 and 2002 I never looked back.

With the price and capability of the low end digital mixers available today there isn't a price small enough to justify an analog console that isn't a Midas XL or Heritage, a Gamble or a Harrison, and I am not even interested in those high end analog consoles.

Mac

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Digital vs. Analogue. Why the contempt?
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »

I feel that cutting your teeth on analog is a smart move. One of the things that make me rather employable is that I can walk up to any mixer and use it, be it analog, or digital. If you can't understand how an analog signal flows, it will be really hard later when your thrown back a decade and have to set up an analog desk, especially if you've only ever worked on a digital one.

I started analog and still have two analog rigs which collect dust more than anything now. The two digital rigs I own now simply bring the win for me. They take half the time to set up, make my clients feel all warm and fuzzy and can run circles around my well suited analog rig! The ROI is great and I love the work flow of the digital systems. It makes sense to me. But then again I spent a good 10 years in the analog world to really get an idea of signal flow and how to make intricate use of it in the digital world!

In the OP's case I think he is best off keeping in the analog world until it makes sense and he can see where digital replacements will pay off. It is not wise to work on something that is difficult to grasp to begin with and then increase the challenge even more with something that requires about 2 button pushes to get to in order to fix. I feel SOOOOOO lucky that I can quickly get from point A to B without much thought on my digital desks now. When I first started on them, I had to think about my every button push.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »

I feel that cutting your teeth on analog is a smart move.... If you can't understand how an analog signal flows, it will be really hard later when your thrown back a decade and have to set up an analog desk, especially if you've only ever worked on a digital one.

Occasionally I see news items about car thefts and carjackings that are thwarted when the miscreants mistakenly try to make off with a manual-transmission vehicle.  Then there's the momentary look of terror when a young person is confronted with a rotary-dial phone for the first time...
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 11:59:18 PM »

Jeez, I feel very, very old right now.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 12:14:55 AM »

Occasionally I see news items about car thefts and carjackings that are thwarted when the miscreants mistakenly try to make off with a manual-transmission vehicle.  Then there's the momentary look of terror when a young person is confronted with a rotary-dial phone for the first time...
I'm still trying to figure out how to text with a rotary phone... They MUST have done it somehow??
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 01:52:40 AM »

I was a "no digital, I want all the knobs" guy until I was hired to mix a couple of rehearsals on a DM2000.  I was hooked.  Now, "ya got no snake - I gotta mix on an iPad?  No problem!".  The Mackie that was mentioned has a very nice app, as do the Presonus (buy used - no longer a good value at new prices) and Behringer (I've not looked at the A&H or Soundcraft apps).

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 06:56:25 AM »

Amen. I do almost exclusively corporate gigs

Any advice on how to get in front this crowd?  So far all my business has been drummed up with a website, facebook page and Craigslist ads. 10 years ago I would have put an ad in the Yellowpages, but no one uses them anymore. I have been looking for ways to target corporate clients and have yet to find a decent avenue. Any advice would be helpful.

( I actually wish I had more bar band gigs, just for the fun of it. Speaking, dancing, talent showcases get really old after awhile. There's one band of 19 year olds I do sound for free, just because they're so freaking good and I want them to sound as good as they can.)
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »

Any advice on how to get in front this crowd?  So far all my business has been drummed up with a website, facebook page and Craigslist ads. 10 years ago I would have put an ad in the Yellowpages, but no one uses them anymore. I have been looking for ways to target corporate clients and have yet to find a decent avenue. Any advice would be helpful.

( I actually wish I had more bar band gigs, just for the fun of it. Speaking, dancing, talent showcases get really old after awhile. There's one band of 19 year olds I do sound for free, just because they're so freaking good and I want them to sound as good as they can.)
Well, the gigs Mac is a part of are high high high level corpy gigs. Think multi-day (or week) with large networked amount of consoles -- I know he's used Studer a bunch but has been getting CL5s as well lately. He posts pictorial reviews of his events sometimes. I don't know how he got into that level of the playing field, but he's definitely sought after.

I would avoid Craigslist. Honestly. I find two truths: a) the people who go there looking for a service provider are the ones who want to pay as little as possible, leading us to b) the people you want to hire you aren't going to be looking for a provider on Craigslist. Get to know corp AV companies in your area, and let them know that you're available to partner up on their larger shows. Get yourself something that is needed, and no one else around has, so they have another incentive to reach out to you. Work on business to business networking so you can meet business owners and managers who might need your service. Sometimes jumping into a Chamber of Commerce or other association and giving them some speakers-on-sticks for a networking event means they'll see you as a great opportunity to help them raise the production value of other events.

And sometimes you just have to teach people why they need to spend more on their production!

Keep in mind that there's a bunch of things that come into play with corp av things. You'll want to have some pipe and drape in your inventory, 8' 12' and 16' with associated framework. At least a couple of video projectors and fast fold screens with drape kits. Scaling/switcher/DA. Image is EVERYTHING for corp AV- they don't want to see cable runs, projectors, speakers, or -- you. Haha.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »

Occasionally I see news items about car thefts and carjackings that are thwarted when the miscreants mistakenly try to make off with a manual-transmission vehicle.

It makes me sad how few of my friends can drive a manual transmission car, much better driving experience when you have to think about what your car is doing instead of just stomping on the gas pedal IMO.

At least none of then ask to borrow my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »

I have a story about both such incidents :)  And I will leave it at that. Both are funny though. All I can say is that antiquated technology is sooooooo coool and it pays to have a car to which only very few are informed enough to be able to even start..... 

Jeez, I feel very, very old right now.

Only as old as you feel :)

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.