ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital vs. Analogue. Why the contempt?  (Read 27270 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Digital vs. Analogue. Why the contempt?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »

TJ,
Being the last of the analog Mohicans taught me two things. 1) I'm glad I waited until there were a number of choices in desks, 2) Even with a board like a Pro House and all of it's capabilities it still couldn't do what my Soundcraft does.

I have outboard gear everywhere I look. Good outboard gear, nothing cheap, and every bit of it is collecting dust. Why do I keep it? Because I still own an analog board that could serve a purpose if needed. Other than that a good board, and a good DSP are all you need in todays world.

Another fact of the matter. I could setup for ten bands with a digital board in less time than it takes to patch monitors on an analog board. It can't be denied. I won't bash the technology that loved me back for all these years, but it would cost more to put a good analog rig together today than it would cost for any of the sub $3K boards available. My APB Pro house cost me $2200. My Soundcraft Expression cost me $2200. It's a no brainer. 
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »

TJ,
Being the last of the analog Mohicans taught me two things. 1) I'm glad I waited until there were a number of choices in desks, 2) Even with a board like a Pro House and all of it's capabilities it still couldn't do what my Soundcraft does.

I have outboard gear everywhere I look. Good outboard gear, nothing cheap, and every bit of it is collecting dust. Why do I keep it? Because I still own an analog board that could serve a purpose if needed. Other than that a good board, and a good DSP are all you need in todays world.

The Pharoahs were buried with all their analog gear.  The Alien Overlords took the digital stuff with them when they left... 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »

The Pharoahs were buried with all their analog gear.  The Alien Overlords took the digital stuff with them when they left...

Did they actually depart or do you think the FEDs hide them in section 8?  Did the find the digital chip from a terminator and are learning from them? 

I hope prices continue to drop on the digital mixers and I can afford one soon. 

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Re: Digital vs. Analogue
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »

You can buy a $1000 Ipad controlled digital mixer which has everything you'd have on an analogue mixer. In addition to that it has a gate and compressor for every single channel. That's equal to 8 Stereo Gates/Compressors.  It also has a stereo 31-band EQ for mains, plus 6 additional 31 band EQs for each of the 6 Aux sends. On top of that it also has alignment delay for every output.  That can not be done in analogue for $1000 plus a $400 Ipad.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but what mixer are you referring to that does all this for $1000, and does it allow mixing WITHOUT the iPad?    Please advise...
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

James A. Griffin

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »

Sorry if I'm missing something, but what mixer are you referring to that does all this for $1000, and does it allow mixing WITHOUT the iPad?    Please advise...

Mackie 1608.  iPad required
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »

Mackie 1608.  iPad required

Ah.  That one escaped me.  Thanks!
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

John Chiara

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »

OP, Have you ever mixed a show an a digital console? If not, it might behoove you to rent one or two from a local shop and try it. I think you will find the benefits of digital on your own.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »

OP, Have you ever mixed a show an a digital console? If not, it might behoove you to rent one or two from a local shop and try it. I think you will find the benefits of digital on your own.

Yes!  Get someone to show you around on a digital board and mix on it for a while, and I think you might be convinced!

sam saponaro

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »

I prefer analog its what I know and at the level I plan on providing sound its all I need.
My little small scale rig I use a Mackie 1604 vlz and a couple older boards I have.
I don't like the digital age period I don't like smart phones,ipads pods etc....I get irritated playing with menus and pages when all I want to do is something simple.
I have run digital mixers a couple times but it was just mixing on someone elses system and I didn't reallt care for it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.