ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kik In/Kik Out: Reversing Polarity?  (Read 6370 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Kik In/Kik Out: Reversing Polarity?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »

In the small bar setup with FOH speakers if you draw a line between the two FOH and the Floor monitors are on the line facing the other direction you will also see the same polarity problem.   FOH push out and Monitor Push out but opposite directions.  Causing a Polarity issue.  Reversing the Monitors polarity makes the monitors lower registers audible and removes the polarity cancellation.   
At what frequency?  Variable wavelength means that some frequencies will add, some will cancel.  It may indeed help at some frequencies, but I don't think this is axiomatic.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »

In the small bar setup with FOH speakers if you draw a line between the two FOH and the Floor monitors are on the line facing the other direction you will also see the same polarity problem.   FOH push out and Monitor Push out but opposite directions.  Causing a Polarity issue.  Reversing the Monitors polarity makes the monitors lower registers audible and removes the polarity cancellation.   

No.

It does not matter what direction a speaker is facing, positive pressure is positive pressure. There will always be phase differences between multiple speakers on stage due to the arrival time offset caused by differing distances between the source and the listener, but that is not polarity, and back to back speakers do not cancel each other out.

Mac

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »

Yep, typing too fast.  Actually I proposed delay as hypothetical. I've never used 2 mics on the same side of the kick head, but I have mic'd kicks from several feet away for jazz trios, so the hypothetical 3 feet between mics would have warranted delaying the one inside the shell.

To judge the impact of the reverse polarity you need to try from the audience and from the drummers throne.  I was amazed at how much punchier and louder the kick became in the drum mons when reversing the polarity on the non-beater side kick mic.  I shouldn't have been surprised, the physics works.
Good point!
Gonna try it.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.