ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 or 16.4.2 AI???  (Read 51798 times)

Mike Karseboom

Re: PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 or 16.4.2 AI???
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »

After having the 16.4.2 for 3 years and now the x32 compact for about 6 months I see a couple of reasons to consider the Presonus depending on your situation:

1)  The operation of the 16.4.2 is much simpler in most cases.  A lot of this is due to the lack of routing, fx, and other features compared to an X32.  If you are getting a mixer to support your band or may sometimes have others operate is for you, the Presonus might be more intuitive. Me I am purely in it for the mixing and wanted the additional routing and recall features of the X32.  I think I am reasonably intelligent but it took me a lot longer to get myself up to speed on the X32 compared to the Presonus.

2) You can get a used 16.4.2 for about $800 around here.  If you find one with low hours on it there really should not be any worry about components being worn out.  And it has been a flat fee of $250 to get any failure fixed  by sending the board to the factory.  So that makes a used purchase less risky.  Their standard new warranty is only 1 year anyway.  From a financial standpoint you can save a lot of money being a little behind the leading edge.  I know I was a little dismayed to get less than 1/2 of my purchase price for my two SL16's.  One was less than a year old with maybe 20 hours on it.

You really have to assess what your needs and budget are and choose accordingly.  They are both good products for their intended market.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »

Not to throw another mixer in the ring... but I'm gonna do it anyway. ;)

If you can hold off a bit (June?) then look in to a QSC TouchMix.  Saw these at NAMM this year and really liked it.

(FWIW, I have a 16.4.2)

Thomas Le

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »

Not to throw another mixer in the ring... but I'm gonna do it anyway. ;)

If you can hold off a bit (June?) then look in to a QSC TouchMix.  Saw these at NAMM this year and really liked it.

(FWIW, I have a 16.4.2)

There was alot of flack towards the Touchmix, paricularly on how the inputs are mounted, no HA and more expensive than the mackie counterpart.

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »

After having the 16.4.2 for 3 years and now the x32 compact for about 6 months I see a couple of reasons to consider the Presonus depending on your situation:

1)  The operation of the 16.4.2 is much simpler in most cases.  A lot of this is due to the lack of routing, fx, and other features compared to an X32.  If you are getting a mixer to support your band or may sometimes have others operate is for you, the Presonus might be more intuitive. Me I am purely in it for the mixing and wanted the additional routing and recall features of the X32.  I think I am reasonably intelligent but it took me a lot longer to get myself up to speed on the X32 compared to the Presonus.

2) You can get a used 16.4.2 for about $800 around here.  If you find one with low hours on it there really should not be any worry about components being worn out.  And it has been a flat fee of $250 to get any failure fixed  by sending the board to the factory.  So that makes a used purchase less risky.  Their standard new warranty is only 1 year anyway.  From a financial standpoint you can save a lot of money being a little behind the leading edge.  I know I was a little dismayed to get less than 1/2 of my purchase price for my two SL16's.  One was less than a year old with maybe 20 hours on it.

You really have to assess what your needs and budget are and choose accordingly.  They are both good products for their intended market.

I have the 16.4.2 and I really love it. Now with that said I do not mix sound for a living. In fact I play in the band on a occasional weekend and mix sound from stage, so for me I do not have time for all the bells and whistles the full time sound dude mixers enjoy to tweak.
In fact I just bought a 16.0.2 to make it even easier to mix on stage. You have to realize what you are using it for.
For me the X32 is over kill, and serves me zero purpose.
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Rob Gow

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 10:02:36 AM »

I find it really handy being able to easily multitrack record the band as well. Moving faders? I rarely touch them as I mix almost exclusively via iPad. If I do mix from the board for a particularly difficult band, I don't have to dance through a bunch of pages to get to something.

The faders are the faders. If I'm tweaking a monitor mix and there's a guitar solo, the guitar fader will always be the guitar fader no matter where I am, that can be handy at times.

I also have a 16.0.2 perfect for open mics, talking heads, STAIRS.

:D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:12:39 AM by Rob Gow »

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »

I have had and used a lot of different boards over the years.  My most recent acquisition is a Soundcraft Si 3, which is a great board, but my Studiolive 16.4.2 still gets the most use.  It's just so convenient and so darn easy to use!  It satisfies the requirements of 90% of my jobs.  There is so much more to a board than a just a list of its features.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »

Moving faders? I rarely touch them as I mix almost exclusively via iPad.
Ironically, the combination of remote control with non-motorized faders and pots is one thing that I consider a major point against the StudioLives as the board itself does not reflect some of the changes that may be made from an iPad.  Whether it is supporting both a local and remote operator simultaneously or simply forgetting to "Locate" the current settings before doing anything at the console, some of the board controls not necessarily reflecting the actual current settings just seems like a problem waiting to happen.

I think Chuck nailed it when he said "It satisfies the requirements of 90% of my jobs."  It really comes down to how well a mixer works in the related applications.  Something that is a significant detriment or advantage in one application may not even matter in other applications or vice versa.  Even functions that may initially appear similar between consoles can differ in the details of how they are implemented in ways that may affect their use in specific applications

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 11:11:39 PM »

Well guys for now I purchased a StudioLive 16.4.2 Non AI. I'm going to start with this and I will be looking into the X32 in the near future for lager events.

Quick connectivity question I have a Dell Latitude D820 running Windows 7. It has a Firewire IEEE 1394 port. Will this run the PreSonus software or do I need to upgrade to a Mac??? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Gow

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »

Well guys for now I purchased a StudioLive 16.4.2 Non AI. I'm going to start with this and I will be looking into the X32 in the near future for lager events.

Quick connectivity question I have a Dell Latitude D820 running Windows 7. It has a Firewire IEEE 1394 port. Will this run the PreSonus software or do I need to upgrade to a Mac??? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give it a try. I went with a Mac because I'm in a little rinky dink town in the middle of nowhere, 3 hours one way from the nearest Best Buy. I couldn't try 2 or 3 different FireWire cards, it just HAD TO WORK. Macs work no problem, so I went with that and it's been no problem.

Congrats!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.