ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Daisy chain speakers causing Amp clip  (Read 12712 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Daisy chain speakers causing Amp clip
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »

I forgot to add...this is the line from JR I am going to follow up on "In general when you load an amplifier with 4 ohms it will make roughly 2x the power that it would at 8 ohms".  If I understand this correctly, running parallel will decrease the impedance from 8 to 4 ohms which then makes the amp send twice as much power.  this makes sense why I can have to amps one in parallel and one not, both set at the same output level, and the parallel one shows twice the output on the LED.

You are still not understanding how this all works.  You do not "set the output level", rather, you set the input sensitivity.  The amp ALWAYS puts out its rated power.  The knobs or controls that you consider to "set the output" are simply there to tailor the input signal to the amp for optimum signal level.

And running an amp bridged does not change the impedance.  The number of speakers and their rated ohmage determines the load that the amp sees.  The specs for "stereo/bridged" loading are to designate what kind of load the amp can tolerate in each mode.

The fly in your ointment/flaw in your reasoning is a basic misunderstanding of how this stuff all works together.  You assume a certain level of knowledge but don't really have it.  Neither do I, for a lot of stuff.  As such, your trouble-shooting is skewed and you end up shooting way off target.

I at least know enough to know what I don't know.  Not trying to be hard on you, just realistic.  I wish you all the luck in the world.  May all your problems be this small.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »

Just to clarify, speakers do not "want" power, you deliver power into them and all the speaker power rating indicates is the maximum power you can safely put into them, not how much power it "wants".  The power rating also has nothing to do with peak performance, only maximum output.  If the speakers get as loud as you need them to be then the amp being rated less than the speaker power rating is irrelevant.

As to the Chris's issue, it may be important to note that they apparently have one amp driving one house speaker, one amp driving two daisy chained (assuming meaning parallel wired) house speakers and one amp driving one monitor.  So all three amps seem to be operating in a single channel mode and thus likely bridged mode.  In bridge mode the CTs is rated at 600W into 16 Ohms or 8 Ohms and 300W into 4 Ohms.  So different numbers than JR presented but otherwise the same concept regarding it being related to current limiting.
I took those numbers from Crown's website but didn't read down to the bridged numbers.

So yes 1x 8 ohm speaker bridged is 600 W, 2x8 ohm in parallel bridged is 300W total so not as loud. The OP would get more power from 2x 8 ohm speakers attached to the different channel outputs (not parallel). But still only 600W total.

Get a bigger amp.

JR

PS: JR said "in general when you load an amp with 4 ohms it makes 2x the power as 8 ohms", unless it is a Crown CTs600 which does not, because it is apparently current limited below 8 ohms .
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

duane massey

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »

+1 on JR's last post. All amplifiers do not have the same characteristics at different loads, especially in bridged mode. IF the amps are in bridged mode it is not surprising at all that you are having these issues. And, as Dick pointed out, the knobs do not control the output, only the input, but the meters are (I suspect) indicative of the output.
You need different amps if you want to make any changes along the lines of what you are doing.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.