ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DME 32  (Read 8237 times)

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
Yamaha DME 32
« on: March 21, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »

Anyone here well-aquainted with these?

I'm doing some research, but there is remarcably little to find online about these.

How ancient are these? 

Do they sound OK?

What can you actually do with these?  Routing, EQ, crossover, limiting?

Is the editor OK to use?  I see the units have a USB connector on the front panel.

I also noticed that the cascade ports are the same (crappy) connector type as on the DSP1D...any chance they are compatible?

Craig Montgomery

Re: Yamaha DME 32
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »

I'm doing some research, but there is remarcably little to find online about these.

How ancient are these? 

Do they sound OK?

Is the editor OK to use?  I see the units have a USB connector on the front panel.

I also noticed that the cascade ports are the same (crappy) connector type as on the DSP1D...any chance they are compatible?

I can't imagine the PM1D system being able to talk to these.  On the newer versions, some parameters can be remote controlled from a PM5D surface.

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »

How ancient are these? 

Do they sound OK?

We have 2 DME64s that we use on a the regular.

They sound great.. Same as the PM series consoles

What can't you do with it?!?! We use it like a Audio Multitool.. All the DSP you would likely need for the supported I/O, mixing, matrixing, eq, dynamics, delay..
We mostly use it to interface consoles. We often load it with a Dugan , and AES/ADAT MY cards to interface with non Yamaha consoles..
You could put a Waves Soundgrid my card in it!
Yes it as an A/D/A or a DA..

The editor is the only way to access it.. Very minimal from panel controls make it good for people who you don't want to be able to mess around with it. The software is fairly east to control and manipulate.

The cascade is on a standard SCSI port it gives you 32ch of I/o. Here is the cascade guide. http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=countrysite-master.prod.wsys.yamaha.com&asset_id=47420
It works with the 5d, 1d and dsp5d and the DM 1000 and 2000..

Cool product!

Ola Brekken

• Tynset, Norway
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »

How ancient are these? 

Do they sound OK?

From what I get from this page http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/about/engineer/dme64n24n/ it was released in 2000.
If the DME Manager is anything like the DME Designer for DME64/24 it will take som time getting to know it, but you'll soon discover that it is powerful and easy to navigate.
I'd download DME Manager (and maybe also DME Designer) and fool around with it. Gives you a good idea of what it can do.

Ola
-Ola

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »

We have 2 DME64s that we use on a the regular.

They sound great.. Same as the PM series consoles

What can't you do with it?!?! We use it like a Audio Multitool.. All the DSP you would likely need for the supported I/O, mixing, matrixing, eq, dynamics, delay..
We mostly use it to interface consoles. We often load it with a Dugan , and AES/ADAT MY cards to interface with non Yamaha consoles..
You could put a Waves Soundgrid my card in it!
Yes it as an A/D/A or a DA..

The editor is the only way to access it.. Very minimal from panel controls make it good for people who you don't want to be able to mess around with it. The software is fairly east to control and manipulate.

The cascade is on a standard SCSI port it gives you 32ch of I/o. Here is the cascade guide. http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=countrysite-master.prod.wsys.yamaha.com&asset_id=47420
It works with the 5d, 1d and dsp5d and the DM 1000 and 2000..

Cool product!

Hello Benjamin and thank you for your insight.

I'm sure you realize that the DME 32 seems to be one generation older than DME24 and DME 64?

If the DME 32 can do pretty much the same, just "clunkier" than that would work for me.

Regarding the cascading:  Are you positive it will work with 1D?  That console seems to be a little different than all other Yamahas, in several ways.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 05:27:24 PM »

From what I get from this page http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/about/engineer/dme64n24n/ it was released in 2000.
If the DME Manager is anything like the DME Designer for DME64/24 it will take som time getting to know it, but you'll soon discover that it is powerful and easy to navigate.
I'd download DME Manager (and maybe also DME Designer) and fool around with it. Gives you a good idea of what it can do.

Ola

Ola, takk!:)

I will follow the link and look into the software, thanks!

MikeHarris

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:36:48 PM »

DME 32 is 64's baby brother...less I/O

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »

DME 32 is 64's baby brother...less I/O

Yeah, but looking at the design, color scheme, date of release, the link Ola posted, different editor, lack of network port, etc, suggests it's one generation previous - so I'm thinking the DME 32 is a lot less similar to the DME 24 and DME 64 than what the DME 24 and DME 64 are to eachother?

Joakim Hammar

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 07:52:55 AM »

Yeah, but looking at the design, color scheme, date of release, the link Ola posted, different editor, lack of network port, etc, suggests it's one generation previous - so I'm thinking the DME 32 is a lot less similar to the DME 24 and DME 64 than what the DME 24 and DME 64 are to eachother?

The DME32 predates the 64/24 by quite a bit and is not related at all, it has a stand alone editor which runs on win98/2000 but can be made to run on XP, it can still be downloaded on yamahas website. Last update of the software was around 2003 i think.

The cascade port is only to cascade up to 4 DME's it's a 50 pin SCSI as opposed to 68 pin on 64/24.

It's still usable but it runs out of DSP power quite quickly. Audio quality is similar to any of the older digital Yamaha consoles I would say.

It is a very long time since I have configured one of these though
Have fun:)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 07:52:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.