ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 15" subs  (Read 27408 times)

Steve Garris

Re: 15" subs
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »

Yes - push the button while the band is playing to hear the effect. I do this all the time, and the result can be surprising. You'll find the low-end dispersion can change, sometimes better, other times worth. It does no harm to the speaker to change the polarity button while playing at full volume.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »

Yes - push the button while the band is playing to hear the effect. I do this all the time, and the result can be surprising. You'll find the low-end dispersion can change, sometimes better, other times worth. It does no harm to the speaker to change the polarity button while playing at full volume.

Thanks Steve. I'll try it..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »

Follow - up on the PRX718XLF...I friggin love it !!

I am very surprised at how much of an output this thing has. Bear in mind, my powered system used to comprise 2 K-subs and 2 PRX612's. So this was my comparison. Well, I used to couple the K-subs AND set them 50% higher than the tops to balance. Now, I set the PRX718 at around the same as the tops and I only have one - not 2 and the sub stays with the tops. This seems crazy considering usually much more power is required for the low end.

Admittedly I have only run sound in moderately small venues so far but I am very happy with this sub. I have 4 PRX612's in total and I would be interested to see just how far I can push the system if I got another 718 and ran the 2 subs coupled with the 4 tops - would be great for larger venues or outside. 
I usually run my SRX system on the bigger gigs which I love the sound of but I'm beginning to get it with powered speakers....no amp rack, money tied up in drive rack and huge amps, less space in the van, no heavy speakons, easier set-up. I never felt this way when I used the Ksubs because I never felt it came close to my SRX system but with the PRX718......it's really close especially for the places we play. I have a whole bunch of money tied up in my SRX system and could get another PRX718 and bank the rest.....What do you guys think???
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 11:57:08 PM »

I think I am still waiting on a JBL PRX module repair.  No more JBL for me ever.  Used maybe if its a great deal.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »

Debbie, I use the JBL PRX618S-XLF subs with SRX 722's and I am very happy with the system.  My subs are about two years old now and have been trouble free so far.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »

Debbie, I use the JBL PRX618S-XLF subs with SRX 722's and I am very happy with the system.  My subs are about two years old now and have been trouble free so far.

Good to know. I am liking the 'powered' thang .......

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »

I think I am still waiting on a JBL PRX module repair.  No more JBL for me ever.  Used maybe if its a great deal.

I'm sorry Tim. I can see how things like this would affect your comfort level with a manufacturer. I'd probably feel the same way.
I am like that with Sony products. Everything I have ever owned Sony has either crapped out just outside of warranty or been a continuous PIA from day one. YET I know people who swear by Sony and love everything about them.
All I can say is even with my recent repair situation on my PRX612, I have owned so much JBL over the years and when I first started singing I owned Altec Lansing and I have NEVER had any problems. Although I get the impression its more the poor care you have received than the actual breakdown right???

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 06:58:45 PM »

I had used my new PRX718xlf a couple of times and had pretty good results so far. Nice tight low end and enough power even with just the one - small/medium sized bars.
So this weekend I used it on the louder rock band in a local bar/restaurant. Mmmm...... bit disappointed. 
It might have helped a bit if I could have placed it by a wall but it was a good 6 ft away from a thin partition wall.
I was having to push it hard to get decent levels and it left me wanting.
I really do not want to have to buy another one - that wasn't the idea behind selling both my K-subs and going to the 1 PRX718xlf instead. This is supposed to be my smaller system when I don't want to lug around my SRX system with amp racks, heavy speakons etc.
I was convinced that I would get as much out of the PRX as I did both my K-subs that I sold.....but I don't think so.
I really like the sub but it might not be enough for some bands/venues and I'll have to use the other rig more often...darn...

Jon C Thomas

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »

I had used my new PRX718xlf a couple of times and had pretty good results so far. Nice tight low end and enough power even with just the one - small/medium sized bars.
So this weekend I used it on the louder rock band in a local bar/restaurant. Mmmm...... bit disappointed. 
It might have helped a bit if I could have placed it by a wall but it was a good 6 ft away from a thin partition wall.
I was having to push it hard to get decent levels and it left me wanting.
I really do not want to have to buy another one - that wasn't the idea behind selling both my K-subs and going to the 1 PRX718xlf instead. This is supposed to be my smaller system when I don't want to lug around my SRX system with amp racks, heavy speakons etc.
I was convinced that I would get as much out of the PRX as I did both my K-subs that I sold.....but I don't think so.
I really like the sub but it might not be enough for some bands/venues and I'll have to use the other rig more often...darn...

The PRX XLF subs are known for having good extension and being light weight not the (punchiest) for kick on rock music. Did you try to boost the 70-80hz range?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:12 PM »

The PRX XLF subs are known for having good extension and being light weight not the (punchiest) for kick on rock music. Did you try to boost the 70-80hz range?
i tried a couple different things....boosting various frequencies including the 70-80hz range and switched polarity. I'll try again.... Last night I took out the SRX system and those SRX718's ROCKED so maybe I expected too much from a single PRX718xlf...?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.