ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 15" subs  (Read 27389 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
15" subs
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »

Looking for something different sub-wise but not interested in lugging around something stupid heavy or at least no heavier than my SRX718's.

These would be used with my PRX612's that I use for small gigs for band use.  For a change I'd like to try 15's which would be more than adequate for the smaller venues round here.
I run SRX718's along with my SRX715's for the medium size venues.

I am interested in the new PRX715XLF subs but would like get some real world experience from anyone using them.

I havent heard much about the Turbosound range of loudspeakers but I get the impression from what I read - reviews and specs - that they are quite good and the pricing is very good. I see a couple different 15" subs listed on the website.

Any experience with these or anything else that might compare?????
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: 15" subs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »

Looking for something different sub-wise but not interested in lugging around something stupid heavy or at least no heavier than my SRX718's.

These would be used with my PRX612's that I use for small gigs for band use.  For a change I'd like to try 15's which would be more than adequate for the smaller venues round here.
I run SRX718's along with my SRX715's for the medium size venues.

I am interested in the new PRX715XLF subs but would like get some real world experience from anyone using them.

I havent heard much about the Turbosound range of loudspeakers but I get the impression from what I read - reviews and specs - that they are quite good and the pricing is very good. I see a couple different 15" subs listed on the website.

Any experience with these or anything else that might compare?????
[/quote

I should clarify a bit...It is the 'lower end Turbosound' subs that I am looking at...IQ15 BT and M15 bul 2200
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »

So no feedback on the PRX715XLF  or similar ?  Can't get to demo anything round here so I was hoping for a comment or 2 on how the 15" holds up in a small bar type setting.......??????

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »

So no feedback on the PRX715XLF  or similar ?  Can't get to demo anything round here so I was hoping for a comment or 2 on how the 15" holds up in a small bar type setting.......??????
Well Debbie, on the second page of the Lounge right now, there's a post from Novemberish with reviews on the PRX715XLF. Someone posted in it yesterday so that's why it bumped back up. Give it a read... good hands-on reports there.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »

Well Debbie, on the second page of the Lounge right now, there's a post from Novemberish with reviews on the PRX715XLF. Someone posted in it yesterday so that's why it bumped back up. Give it a read... good hands-on reports there.

-Ray
Thanks Ray.
After I posted yesterday I had come across this thread in a google search but figured it was more about the PRX710 and PRX715 pair up and holes (or lack thereof) in the frequency range  and didn't give much away about the actual PRX715 performance. Also the comment about the fan noise got mentioned twice in that thread and that is something I was hoping would be addressed by someone here who owns the PRX7i5 sub.
Maybe they are just not that popular but there is something about them that I like - err weight and size maybe???
I don't really expect them to go as low as the PRX618xlf/PRX718xlf cabs or my SRX718's but for smaller spaces (kick drum and lower end bass frequencies) and for pure convenience, if they will suffice...I'd like to give them a try unless someone here has had a bad experience....

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 03:53:39 PM »

What you should be looking at is NOT the size of the driver-but RATHER what parameters you need to achieve a particular set of performance criteria within a specific price range.

Who cares if that set of parameters can be achieve with a 10" or a 48" driver.

Things such as max SPL at a particular freq and a specific box size.

Wattage should be way down on the list of parameters.  A box with a higher sensitivity can achieve a particular SPL with less power (and probably sound better doing so-due to less driver movement and therefore less distortion).

To me driver size is like looking for a new mixing console and saying it needs to have 3/4" knobs on it.

There are things that are much more important than driver size.

But driver size and wattage are the things that many people are "drawn to" even though they may "think" they understand them-but in most cases really have no idea how those numbers really relate to actual performance-or how little importance they really have in terms of overall performance.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »

Hi Ivan,
I've learned not to even worry too much about wattage from what I have learned here so that isn't a concern. Not sure the 1500 watt stamp stands for much anyway - does it?... I also realize that the max SPL on the PRX715 is less than the PRX's big brother -the PRX718 - 131db compared to 134db and of course the frequency response is at 44hz compared to 35hz.
Years ago, I ran 15" subs for PA for local bands (including my own)  for years and felt they did a great job but now it seems everyone wants 18's and if you mention using 15" subs - it's like saying - ..."Yes, my 15" subs are  totally inadequate - unlike my colleagues who all use 18" ". 
And don't get me wrong - I LOVE my SRX 718's but it's nice to not have to take an extra amp rack with me when I use my powered set up.
I'd love to use a pair of 15" powered subs in a small bar and blow people away with the bottom end.....If EQ'd well, is that even possible??

Travis_Valois

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 05:23:22 PM »

A friend of mine just purchased PRX715 over PRX715XLF. When he and I were discussing what to replace his previous setup with (Jbl EON15G2 over PRX618XLF) he stated that he wanted subs with close the same output but more compact and lighter so that he could carry them himself if he has to. I haven't been able to get out to his gigs since he got the new system a few weeks ago, other than a couple hours earlier this week, because I just had quad bypass surgery a few weeks ago. Do the 15's play as low as the PRX618XLF does? Nope. But my initial impression was that they are still enough sub suitable as a more compact alternative for small venues. As for the difference in rated max output between the 18 and the 15, it's only a 3dB difference and will not likely be noticed by the average person. I'll be getting out more, now that I'm allowed to drive myself around again.  I want to get a better idea of their pwrformance closer to the end of the night when the bar is more energetic. 

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:30:15 PM by Travis_Valois »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 07:00:51 PM »

A friend of mine just purchased PRX715 over PRX715XLF. When he and I were discussing what to replace his previous setup with (Jbl EON15G2 over PRX618XLF) he stated that he wanted subs with close the same output but more compact and lighter so that he could carry them himself if he has to. I haven't been able to get out to his gigs since he got the new system a few weeks ago, other than a couple hours earlier this week, because I just had quad bypass surgery a few weeks ago. Do the 15's play as low as the PRX618XLF does? Nope. But my initial impression was that they are still enough sub suitable as a more compact alternative for small venues. As for the difference in rated max output between the 18 and the 15, it's only a 3dB difference and will not likely be noticed by the average person. I'll be getting out more, now that I'm allowed to drive myself around again.  I want to get a better idea of their pwrformance closer to the end of the night when the bar is more energetic. 

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Good to know Travis and stay well...

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »

Debbie the danley TH mini is pretty small and has impressive performance for the size. It's a different level of equipment than the prx stuff, but perhaps worth checking out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.